WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scout Scope uses

Banned
    i have a 2-7x vortex on my 1908 Brazilian mauser in 7x57. there's a "chinese" scope mount that i just happen to have. i'll replace it with a s&k scope mount someday. i still have to shoot it but its much better than open sights.

Boolit Master
    Hmmm well.
    To tell you the truth it was too hot!
    I was chocked up from some cane burn off and I wore a face mask too see what it could be like if I need to wear one.
    I scooted down and got a couple of targets out.
    I was puffing and wheezing and sweating.
    My heart beat was bouncing the scope around.
    Still 3/4 to 1" groups at 50 yards and a bit better than red dot groups at 100yrds.
    I couldn’t really tell a difference.
    The 3x scope has a 2 moa fine cross hairs and the red dot 2 moa.
    All good intentions went sth after 1/2 hr.
    I learnt I need a longer stock for rest shooting.
    The dail up reticle was good.
    Don’t know if I could use it for snap shooting , but it maybe with familiarity.
    I may try a peep sight and a marbles mv front.
    The sight worked loose and I took it off.
    It seemed to make it front heavy but that just changed the carry point a bit further.
    Hmmm time will tell.
    Jury is still out.
    If I played around trying to shoot a can in the grass it may have been a totally different story.

Boolit Buddy
    I built a Cooper Pseudo Scout on an 03A3 with a low mounted Burris Scout Scope and have shot it a lot. Its fine out to 300 or so on reasonable size targets. One of the places Scouts really shine is with
    women or kids that have trouble finding the target with conventional scopes. Newer shooters have an instant positive reaction to be able to immediately see the target and crosshairs and it makes for fast success with little frustration which is key with some new shooters. Having easy access to the top of the action and the ability to use stripper clips is a nice benefit too. Is it the best system for shooting tiny groups from the bench? No. But it is a fast, easy to access system for real world shooting at 300 and in.

As a couple of other posters have noted, low mounting is key. If you can't mount the scope ocular nearly touching the receiver ring, the handiness goes way down.

Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    Scout scopes work best on top eject lever actions, like Rossi and Winchester 92's. My Marlin has the X/S scope mount and uses a conventional low power riflescope.

Winelover
    Also work well on rifles that are unhandy to use with conventional, over the action, mounts. An example is my Remington 660. It came from the factory drilled for a conventional mount but with only three scew holes. Two on receiver ring and one on receiver bridge. That means any mount needs to be a one-piece mount. But, the loading port on this rifle is small, making it very difficult to load with a one piece mount. My solution was a 2 3/4X Burris Scout scope mounted on a bridge mount from a Ruger Number 1. Works fine, keeps the scope low, and the rifle is easy to load/unload.

Jim

Attachment 295709I bought this Austrian Werndl rifle about 15 years ago as a wall hanger and rebuilt the action, rebarreled it to 45-70 and repaired the broken stock. Being it had no sights and I really can’t use iron sights well I put this scout scope on it. I know it doesn’t look very traditional but it shoots great and I do use it hunting occasionally and took a whitetail buck a couple of years ago with it. I have shot 1” 3 shot groups with it at 100 yards off a lead sled.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    Col. Cooper developed the scout rifle concept and any variation from his design detracts from the ideal. Variations are up to the owner but heavy, clumsy long barreled rifles with forward mounted scopes and shooting varmint cartridges are not "scouts" no matter what they look like.

A scout rifle, a rig that includes its sights and cartridge, are basically close quarter combat or close in dangerous game weapons and, to truly qualify as scouts, they must have several specific characteristics.

Proper scout rigs are simple and rugged rifles that are light and well balanced between the hands. They must be short enough to be easy to carry and easy bring up even in thick cover. A scout must be very easy (fast) to bring on target - with both eyes open - and do it without blocking a broad view of the surrounding environment and potential threats. It must have sufficient power to quickly put down any expected targets. A scout rifle must have sufficient accuracy and trajectory to easily make hits out to expected limits OR about 2-3 hundred yards, plus be easily operable to make quick second shots.

That said, many rifles can easily benefit from some of those features so it's up to the user to decide what his own "scout" will be.

It's virtually impossible for any of us to judge for anyone else that, "This rifle is, that rifle isn't" a functional scout rifle but where a scope is mounted sure isn't the defining feature.

Boolit Buddy
    I've built/own/shot a number of Scout or Scout "Like" guns. Recently I have been debating the benefits of the scout scope against a conventionally mounted low power variable. The low power variable, conventionally mounted gives a better field of view and can be brighter in low light conditions. The added magnification can aid in extending the range and precision of the rifle. I have a series of shooting drills that I do to "measure" effectiveness. Speed on target is really about the same and I find I can hit a bit better with the conventional scope.

I really do like loading from stripper clips on guns that are set up for them. In these situations, there is no substitute for the scout. Using top feeding guns, reloading is far faster than messing around under a scope.

Every choice you make regarding your personal weapons is some kind of compromise. The scout concept provides some very specific advantages at the expense of some others. If it fills a need in your arsenal, it can be a great tool.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12