Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scout Scope uses

Scout Scope uses

I have a chance to buy a good quality “scout” scope at a really good price; the problem being, I’ve never owned one, and only handled a couple of rifles so mounted. What platforms do they work best on? (Please, don’t say “scout rifles”&#129400 Is there any real advantages on their use over conventional scopes with standard “eye relief” to justify the their rather limited field of view? I do own lever, bolt, and auto loading rifles in which to mount. Thanks!

Banned
    I don't have a lot of experience with scout scopes or scout rifles in general but my son and I were dinkin' around with an old Mosin. I bought a scope mount that attaches to the rear sight assembly. I got a cheap scout scope from Ebay and put it on there. It works surprisingly well.

So on old military rifles that you don't want to drill and tap for a conventional scope a scout scope setup could be just the ticket.

YMMV

Steve in N CA

FWIW, I've mounted/used/hunted with scout-scoped rifles, and have discovered a few things about them.

* Variable scopes don't work well because they're never set on the right magnification when needed for a suddenly-presented game shot.

* Lightest/shortest low magnification (1.5x to 3x) scopes with a prominent or illuminated reticle work best in terms of nimble rifle handling, fast target acquisition & ease of carry.

* The best -working ("scout") scopes are the lowest power for the average hunting areas frequented, so long as long range (over 200yds) shots are not usually on the menu.

* With a scope mounted in the scout position, and with low magnification, the scope works exactly like a receiver peep sight, but with magnification.

* Every scope, "scout" or not, has different weight, length - and most importantly different eye-relief distances.

On eye-relief:

"Normal" rifle scopes, including "scout" scopes, have a fixed eye-relief distance built-in (refer to each different scope's tech specs).

Specifically designated Scout Scopes usually have an eye-relief distance under 4"

Different "Pistol" scopes instead have an eye-relief "window" - usually 9"-17" or 11"-21" - a person's eye, if looking at a scope sight icture outside that "window" will see only a partial or no (black) sight picture.

Ergo

When contemplating a scope for use in the scout position, because each person has certain different personal ergonomics ( long/short neck, lean/full face, long/short arms, etc, etc) it's usually best for each individual shooter to first actually measure their own personal eye-relief distance, then compare that measurement with the various scopes under consideration.

The measuring is best done with an assistant - any scope taped in the scout position on the rifle to be a scout-scoped, the then rifle mounted as if taking a shot.

The assistant then measures the distance from the shooter's eye to the rear face of the rear scope lens.

A scout-mounted scope should be one that give a full/clean sight picture at that distance, because a partially or fully obstructed view (black around the edges of the sight picture, or the entire sight picture) will result in trying top use a scope that's appreciably different that the shooter's eye-relief distance.

Since my personal eye distance measured out to 9-1/2", I found that a 2x Weaver Pistol Scope (with a 9"-17" eye-relief window) worked best for ME - YMMV.

I use an XS-LeverScout rail for mounting scopes in the scout position - mostly leverguns (but the rail can be adapted to other type rifles.)

https://xssights.com/products/sights...-rifle-sights/

I personally found it to be an excellent solution to my aging eyes/vision

Last edited by pietro; 10-30-2021 at 05:16 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    I like the scout scope set up and have two leverguns set up for it: a Marlin 1894C 357 with a Weaver 2X pistol scope and Win 94 Big Bore 356Win with a Bushnell 2X pistol scope. Both are drilled and tapped to utilize a T/C Contender scope mount and have Williams receiver sights. The 1894C has quick release rings and the Win 94 has std Weaver rings that can be removed with coin or key. I also outfitted my son's Marlin 336 35Rem with the XS Scout scope mount and the Leupold 2.75X Scout scope and Williams sight which he loves and another son has the same scope on the Ruger Scout rifle in 308 that was obviously designed for it.

Shooting with both eyes open and seeing the slightly magnified sight picture as well as everything around it simultaneously is an advantage on moving game or just quickly acquiring the sight picture and you also have the versatility of removing the scope and using the receiver sights in inclement weather or for a slightly lighter carry when close in shots are expected. I also like how it adds the additional weight directly over the forehand for a slightly foward balance point compared to a scope in the rear position on a light handling carbine. Both my rifles have been set up like this for more than 20 years.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0236.jpg 
Views:	494 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	291041
    Last edited by NEKVT; 10-30-2021 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sghart3578 View Post
    I don't have a lot of experience with scout scopes or scout rifles in general but my son and I were dinkin' around with an old Mosin. I bought a scope mount that attaches to the rear sight assembly. I got a cheap scout scope from Ebay and put it on there. It works surprisingly well.

So on old military rifles that you don't want to drill and tap for a conventional scope a scout scope setup could be just the ticket.

YMMV

Steve in N CA
    Mine is a 2.5 power Leupold mounted on a Yugo M48, works fine up to 100 yards, no drilling/tapping necessary.

Boolit Master
    Scout scopes work best on top eject lever actions, like Rossi and Winchester 92's. My Marlin has the X/S scope mount and uses a conventional low power riflescope.

Winelover

Boolit Buddy
    I have Leupold Scout scopes on an M1A, Marlin 45-70 SBL and a Ruger Scout rifle in 308. All are excellent, they are in focus when I shoulder the rifle. Have used them with out missing a shot deer hunting.

Don

I tried it on a Trapper 94, with a variable pistol scope. One problem that came up was that I had already become used to Red Dot Scopes and believe that they are infinitely easier to use than the ScoutScope for 200yards or less, as long as you get one with a dot no larger than 2moa. The target groups are not as small for me with the red dot as with a scope, but an inch and a half at a hundred with the red dot is good enough.

The other problem was my fault in that I was trying to use a low power variable pistol scope and the eye relief was too long unless the scope was kept at the maximum magnification, which made it harder to get my eye lined up. It shot fine when I was sitting at a bench, but was too hard for me to hold steady for free handed shooting while keeping my eye in the narrow sweet spot for the scope.

As said above, the low fixed power “Scout” scope is the way to go if you want a scout scope setup.

Boolit Grand Master

A properly mounted scout scope will have the ocular lens sitting over the front receiver ring with no more than 1/8th inch clearance between the two. Thus mounted the eye comes quickly to the scope as you take a stock weld with no searching for the sight picture, it is "just there". Over long length of pull and/or a very high comb will adversely affect this natural eye/sight alignment. I've not had any problems with standard sporter stocks or military stocks when the scopes were mounted correctly.

Most of the "scouts" I see on these forums have the scopes mounted way too high. It is no wonder many find them "awkward" or "cumbersome". One really must actually use (that means shoot it at various unknown distance targets out to 300 yards) a properly set up "scout" to truly appreciate them.

Attachment 291049
    Attachment 291050
    Attachment 291051
    Attachment 291052
    Attachment 291053

As pietro and 1006 mention, low end power with proper eye relief is also best.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Name:	5A121617-DA4F-47CB-B788-36DDF05795CF.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	291054
    Heres a Nikon EER scope that I put on my sporter Krag build. Makes for a fast rig. A nice set up.

Boolit Master
    I have one for my Garand. Works really well as others above have stated, including the advice to keep them low. They are a joy for those of us whose eyes aren't what they used to be.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I've been happy with a 2-7×32 . My mount is fitted to a D&T forward of the chamber on a rebarreled Carcano . The objective is about 1/4" behind the front ring rear edge .

In this case it's necessary to accommodate the clip loading .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master

I have several and I like them OK for applications that a scout mount is the only option. If I am scoping and I have the option of a conventional mount that wins every time.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    I have one on a Rossi 44 Mag lever gun. First one that I've used. I like it.

Boolit Master
    Lucked into a nice Glenfield early 70's 30-30 and put one of those XS rails on it with a fixed power Burris SS. Mounts low like it's supposed to. Really improves precision shooting over the irons. A couple of nice advantages are easy access to the action and unhindered bolt operation
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 12-14-2021 at 04:02 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I setup burris phantom 2.5X pistol scope on a TC renegade years ago. mounted where the rear sight was. Mainly so I didnt have to bend the hammer. Was a nice low mounting and worked very well. used a rail mount for a contender the hole patterns were the same.

Boolit Master
    I made a mount for my Renegade, out of a Kimber blank base, using the existing rear sight tapped holes. Mounted an UltraDot in Kimber priority double lever rings. Base is so low that it allows the use of the tang mounted peep when UltraDot is removed.

Winelover
    Last edited by winelover; 12-15-2021 at 07:59 AM. Reason: additional info

I like them for any rifle that has a clip guide on the receiver, mostly milsurps, but used on some of the older sporting rifles as well such as the pre-war Winchester M-70, M-54, Remington M-30, and others.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Grand Master

As mentioned, when that is the best mounting option, that is a valid reason to use one.

Larry brings up a good point, as usual, however I see two sides to this. A scout scope may offer a lower mounting option that allows you to get a good cheek weld. On the other side, you could raise the comb of your stock with a normal scope, and get the same thing. A good cheek weld is a great thing for both speed and precision, often overlooked on rifles.

I've tried scout scopes a few times. The straightforward answer is they are an old school method, but newer options are mostly better. Red dots and reflex sights are the modern answer to everything a scout scope wanted to be. On the cheaper end, I think a scope is going to be more durable, plus it will work forever. A cheap red dot can be frustrating, and while I never had one fail, batteries are a liability. Today high quality battery-less red dots and reflex sights can be had at reasonable prices. Good optics always cost money. The only downside is the illumination only last about 15 years. I'm unsure if they can be repaired, or if you would need a new one at that point. Still, I'll take that over a scout scope every time. They are smaller, about the same weight, at least as durable, possibly more so. And the best thing is that parallax, or getting a perfect view doesn't matter. It's a lot easier to get them to mount them lower than a scope. Mount them so the dot is centered with a good cheek weld, then just point and shoot. Faster, easier to see, infinite field of view, easier to use both eyes open, smaller. Heck, you could even plug them completely full of mud and it wouldn't matter if you are shooting both eyes open. Just put the dot on the target and pull the trigger.

If you need magnification, you don't need speed. Even on something like the mentioned model 92 lever gun, I'll take a side mount if 150-200 yard shots are a real possibility.

Boolit Master
    I shall let you know what I think.

Name:	D721A7A7-7951-45CA-8595-3F4719A9C82B.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	293191
    Going to give this a try.
    Tasco 3x pistole scope.
    Note delicate use of modern and traditional affixing techniques.
    Cobb & co and cable ties.
    Hose clamps maybe even work better.
    Ha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast