Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Decisions, Decisions

Banned

Decisions, Decisions

I stopped in at the local gunshop this morning as it's been a month since my last visit.

Choice is:
    Winchester Model 67, not the 67A that I already have, in very nice condition, $180.00

Wards Model 14, ie: Mossberg .22 in nice condition with a side mount external scope, mount is defective, $200.00

Stevens Crackshot, a nice one for fit, function, original finish and bore condition. $250.00

I can buy one, or I can stay home and give my $$$ to some other cause.

Ideas??

If there is extra money in the 'keep Pressman from starving to death this week' fund,
    I'd take a hard look at the Stevens just for the novelty of it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned

I’d stay home!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    I stopped in at the local gunshop this morning as it's been a month since my last visit.

Choice is:
    Winchester Model 67, not the 67A that I already have, in very nice condition, $180.00

Wards Model 14, ie: Mossberg .22 in nice condition with a side mount external scope, mount is defective, $200.00

Stevens Crackshot, a nice one for fit, function, original finish and bore condition. $250.00

I can buy one, or I can stay home and give my $$$ to some other cause.

Ideas??
    I would probably buy the Crackshot, just because I love the Stevens boys rifles. YMMV, of course! Though I've never owned a Winchester anything, and it IS cheaper.

I'd probably offer them $600 for all 3 and if they took it, I'd then eat roman for the rest of the month
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    Crack Shot!!! Always a great choice!!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't know what I would do with another .22. I have a NIB 9422, LNIB BL-2 and M52 Winchester I have not shot in years. Need to get rid of them I guess. Got good deals on all of them....think I paid only $280 for the 9422. when Gander Mountain was clearing them out.

All your choices sound like nice guns, but I might lean to the Crack Shot.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    I'd probably offer them $600 for all 3 and if they took it, I'd then eat roman for the rest of the month
    And the down side is??? You've only got one day left in this month.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Banned
    Now that's a clever way of looking at the problem.
    2 months ago I did buy 3 at one visit to the same store.
    Old single shots are a weakness, along with older semi match 22's.

Boolit Grand Master
    Going from memory there isn't much difference between the Model 67A that you already have and the Model 67. It is a modification of one of John Browning's designs.

A Mossberg .22 is just about guaranteed to be an accurate rifle, no matter who's name is stamped on it, but it needs a new scope mount.

The Crackshot is intriguing, which one is it?

Robert

If the Crackshot is the M 26 it is a decent gun the earlier side lever model I would stay away from it.
    I owned a side lever Crackshot and it was a very weak undersized action that are mostly to worn to be safe to shoot. I did part it out and was amazed what the parts went for on eBay.

Jedman

Banned
    Yes, the 67 and 67A are close in design. I know nothing about the Crackshots. The action is tight and showing little use is all I can add.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    If the Crackshot is the M 26 it is a decent gun the earlier side lever model I would stay away from it.
    I owned a side lever Crackshot and it was a very weak undersized action that are mostly to worn to be safe to shoot. I did part it out and was amazed what the parts went for on eBay.

Jedman
    Beat me to it. Even the 26 isn't what I would call a strong action. I wouldn't shoot anything more energetic than Subsonics in one. I've got dozens of Stevens rifles, but I've never lusted after a Crackshot.

Now, if it were a Favorite. . . . .
    Cognitive Dissident

Banned
    It seems the wisdom of the elders is true. The Stevens is not the best choice unless I want another wall hanger.
    That leaves the Mossberg. It is an interesting rifle in it self, and one that I have nothing else like. The scope and mount will present a challenge to restore. Fortunately it also has factory sights.

Boolit Master

An original 67 with the 1903 Springfield-style grasping grooves in the stock IN GOOD CONDITION is probably a bit of a rare bird, and probably a good one to buy on speculation. Given the ruggedness and simplicity of the mechanism, it's probably the least likely of the three to need any extra money sunk into it.

The Mossbergs I've played with are real shooters. Might take a bit of digging for spare parts, but I've accomplished it for several projects I've taken on.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    So........ you did buy the Mossberg , right ??? Over the years I've had and used several Mossberg .22 rifles and every one was a shooter . To me they are way more accurate than the price conveys .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Banned
    Jack, yes I bought the Mossberg. Research shows it's a Model 46, the scope is a Wards Model 20. The mount is broken and missing parts and was installed by Bubba. The rifle is going to require minimal cleaning and polishing the stock.

I was never attracted the lines of the Mossberg, their stocks are just clunky looking. The more I tinker with it, the more I respect it. That translates as there will be more of them following me home in the future.

Ken

Good choice. I have 7 Mossberg .22rfs & they're all accurate rivaled only by my 500 series Remingtons (rivaled as in equal).

Boolit Grand Master
    I dearly love the Winchester Model 67 family of rifles, Dad's 67A was the first real gun I ever shot.

But I think you will have a lot of fun with your new Mossberg. I have owned a few and shot a few more over the years, and it seems like every single one thinks it is a target rifle in disguise.

Robert

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    It seems the wisdom of the elders is true. The Stevens is not the best choice unless I want another wall hanger.
    That leaves the Mossberg. It is an interesting rifle in it self, and one that I have nothing else like. The scope and mount will present a challenge to restore. Fortunately it also has factory sights.
    I did a bit of "digging", and my source for Mossberg scope/parts was https://www.havlinsales.com/ -- Havlin Sales, in Missouri. Perhaps they may be of assistance in lessening your restoration challenge.
    Best wishes!
    geo