WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox

Thread: Lyman 310 tong shell insert number for 6.5 X 50 Japanese?

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

Lyman 310 tong shell insert number for 6.5 X 50 Japanese?

I thought I could put my hands on my reference chart for the Lyman 310 dies but evidently not.

Can someone supple me with the correct number for the screw in shell adapter that screws into the Lyman 310 tongs that is correct for the 6.5 X 50 Japanese cartridge?

Or provide me with a link that will show a reference chart to look it up on?

Also, what is the correct assigned number for the 310 dies for the above cartridge?

Many thanks!

Jim

Boolit Grand Master
    Jim,
    I’m out of town now and on my iPad. If no one has gotten back to you by the time I get home tomorrow night, I’ll try to fire up my laptop that has that info stored away on it. I don’t remember ever looking for those numbers, but I’m pretty sure they’re on my “Master List”.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Green Frog - thanks. I kept looking and searching and I finally found a PDF of the chart that lists the shell adapter, expanding and seating stem numbers, etc. The shell adapter for the handles is a #2.

I have a PDF of a chart that shows the die set number for most of the common 310 sets, but the 6.5 Japanese is not listed on it? At one time, I bought a large lot of 310 dies - keep the ones I could use and sold/traded off those that I couldn't. In the bunch that I traded/sold was a set of 6.5 Japanese 310 dies and IIRC, the bodies were stamped with an ID number for that particular caliber/set? Perhaps I am remembering that wrong?

I recently had two Type 38 Japanese Arisaka rifles given to me that my uncle brought back - never thought I would be loading and shooting for an Arisaka but I will be as both are in very good shape with good bores.

Thanks again!

Jim

Jim,
    Lists I have show the #2 as you found and #5(may be my update??).
    Another list shows only 6,5 set(#137) which I'd may have been usable on 6,5 Carcano and 6,5 M-S as well.
    Base of Arisaka(6,5) listed as .455 in my COTW, Carcano is .445 and M-S .447.
    30-40 Krag lists #5 (base .457)

303 Br uses #7.(Base .458)
    Also, getting list together for you, hope to have together tomorrow afternoon(10-31).
    Thanks

Boolit Master

Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

My Lyman chart also says #2. That is the adapter for the 30-06 and any other case on that head size, of which their are many. Should be easy to find one.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

If you need a #2 insert, shoot me a PM and I'll fix you up.

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Grand Master

All you newbes out there ... Remember Rule#1 Never sell paid for reloading dies or bullet moulds ...
    ...they don't eat any hay and you Never Know what the future will bring you .

Over the last 50 years I picked up 2 sets of 9mm Luger loading dies and two different boolit moulds and I never had an interest in or owned a 9mm Luger .
    About 10 years ago my Dad hands me a WWII era Walther P38 , German Army surplus ...and says here you take this I don't have any use for it ...And there you go ... I had 9mm dies and moulds all ready and waiting to go .
    Dad's been gone for 7 years now ... but I load 9mm and shoot the P38 every range trip and think about him ... The Moral ...don't sell dies , keep them ... you just might need them !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    All you newbes out there ... Remember Rule#1 Never sell paid for reloading dies or bullet moulds ...
    ...they don't eat any hay and you Never Know what the future will bring you .

Over the last 50 years I picked up 2 sets of 9mm Luger loading dies and two different boolit moulds and I never had an interest in or owned a 9mm Luger .
    About 10 years ago my Dad hands me a WWII era Walther P38 , German Army surplus ...and says here you take this I don't have any use for it ...And there you go ... I had 9mm dies and moulds all ready and waiting to go .
    Dad's been gone for 7 years now ... but I load 9mm and shoot the P38 every range trip and think about him ... The Moral ...don't sell dies , keep them ... you just might need them !
    Gary
    Great rule, Gary. I thought I had sold or traded my NOS 9mm set in the black and grey striped box to friend BrassMagnet, but actually it was tucked away behind some other stuff. Then I bought/built my S&W Model 639 Franken-Smith. Sometimes being disorganized works in my favor.

Froggie

Banned
    Mr. Frog Person Sir, sometimes your dis/organization works in my favor also. Now I am hot on the trail of several #10 priming hooks and a #1 tool. Couldn't do it without you.
    Ken

Thanks to all for the help and information - greatly appreciated!

I thought that I had a copy of my reference lists for the 310 with me here in AZ and I couldn't find it - evidently I took it back to MI for some reason and it is probably siting on a shelf above my bench there. Appreciate the link Scott and am going to print it off along with the other charts and make sure I have a copy of it with my notes here in AZ.

Char Gar - thanks for jogging my old memory - when I looked at the chart that I finally found, I did a quick look at the 6.5. The 6.5 cartridge is a new one for me and in my old head, I was thinking that the base of the cartridge was smaller even though I knew darn well what the measurement was. i was also thinking that it was somewhat unique based on what i had read on reforming brass to 6.5 and some of the issues with base size, chambers, etc. Your post gave me one of those "duh" moments. I had gotten tied up in some "honey-do" jobs but finally got time to go back and take a look and realize that the same shell adapter works for the 408, 30-06, 8
    x 57 and 7.7 Japanese - and that any steel tong stamped with those sold work with the 6.5. I got my Privi brass order from Grafs yesterday and when I unpacked it and took a look, I realized that I had grossly "mis-thought" the size of the casing.

kywiidwrr - thanks!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Mr. Frog Person Sir, sometimes your dis/organization works in my favor also. Now I am hot on the trail of several #10 priming hooks and a #1 tool. Couldn't do it without you.
    Ken
    Ken,

If you are referring to the listing I sent you recently, I really don't deserve much credit for that... I just forwarded it to you after our mutual friend "dsh" sent it to me and I figured you needed it them or knew someone who did.

I hate those little hooks because they are so blankety blank hard to keep up with! IMHO, the plum colored steel handles that don't use the hooks were "a better idea" even if they didn't come from Ford! My basic set up now revolves around a L and a S set of plum handles and whatever dies I need for that day's job, but I spent an inordinate amount of time tracking down caliber specific handles. The only nickel plated set I've retained is a beautiful boxed set for the 32 revolver. Imagine that... me having a 32 caliber set!

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    Okay I'm not the most experienced with using a 310 tool to load ammo, but something is screwy with the adapter number for the 6.5 Jap round. Everything I have ever read about it has it a lot smaller diameter than the .30-06 case, but it is supposed to use the same adapter???

Even in an earlier post in this thread the numbers don't match up for using the same adapter. You would be better off using the one for a .30-40, at least as far as centering the case goes. Unless the adapter isn't really needed??

Or could it be that one Lyman list had a typo and it has been blindly copied since then????

Confused in MO,

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Okay I'm not the most experienced with using a 310 tool to load ammo, but something is screwy with the adapter number for the 6.5 Jap round. Everything I have ever read about it has it a lot smaller diameter than the .30-06 case, but it is supposed to use the same adapter???

Even in an earlier post in this thread the numbers don't match up for using the same adapter. You would be better off using the one for a .30-40, at least as far as centering the case goes. Unless the adapter isn't really needed??

Or could it be that one Lyman list had a typo and it has been blindly copied since then????

Confused in MO,

Robert
    The purpose of the adaptor that screws into the hole in the handles through which the case passes (several times as the cartridge is loaded) is not to hold the case tightly but to keep the case more or less aligned to enter the die. You can actually load without it being there at all… I’ve done it!

The main problem I’ve ever had was using one that fit the case too closely and interfered with bringing the case back out after the mouth has been belled. On cylindrical pistol cases at least, looser is better (within reason.)

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    I kind of suspected that Mr. Amphibian. What really made me wonder is that I deprimed a few hundred surplused by me M-14 fired 7.62 cases without an adapter, just the more or less universal depriming die, and it worked fine.

Robert

Plus remember that on a rimless casing, even on a looser fitting casing to the ID of the adapter, when tongs close, the retrieval hook - for int of a better word, also helps support the casing in regards to casing going into the adapter hole further than it should. On rimmed cases, that's not an issue but the retrieval hook still is in place under the rim so that when the tongs open, the casing is pulled. If that makes sense.

With a shell adapter having an ID that allows for some clearance to the casing to center the casing for the die operations with the 310 tongues - take a look in something like the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook at the cartridge case dimensions for the 6.5 X 55 Japanese, the 7.7 Japanese, 30-06, 308 and 8 X 57 as far as the base diameters are concerned as the "tells the story".

Jim