RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Savage Axis 223

Boolit Master

Savage Axis 223

This is perhaps a question for the ages - but what is the opinion of the collective on shooting 5.56mm ammunition in a bolt action rifle? This particular one is 1:9 and was recently acquired by a friend. I do realize that there was a 1:7 offered.
    My personal opinion is that the pressure is fairly insignificant in a modern bolt / single shot / lever action rifles fwiw.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have a Axis in 223, but I'm using 5.56 loads that I loaded for my AR. Really haven't shot that many, but they are accurate and have not experienced any problems. The primers seem a little flat, but no problems with extraction. I don't know if this helps you.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I think the Axis is more than up to the task!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Loading your own the military may have a thicker case, yielding a smidge less interior space. That can up the the pressure. Should make one a bit cautious as one approaches max load. I don't load the two cases different but then I'm at ~24 grains of Varget which isn't a max load.

The 5.56 having the crimped primers for sure which the commercial .223 may not have makes a difference in reloading process but no difference in firing pressures.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

My Son won a game dinner auction several years ago, and picked a .223 Savage Axis scoped combo ($20 ticket).

He & I have both shot it, and even with the cheapo factory-added scope was very accurate @ 100yds.

IDK what twist rate it has, but it's still very accurate with factory ammo. (neither of us currently handloads).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I have a 223 Axis, believe it is 1 in 9 twist. Have shot both 223 and 5.56 ammo with no problems. But mostly shoot my own reloads. I think the length and weight of the bulletin a bigger deal than the 223 vs 5.56 issue. I keep my Axis and AR 15 loads separate. But I don't shoot anything over 60 gr. My Axis loves 50 gr bulletsof several brands with CFE 223.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Master
    There are two differences. NATO ammo is loaded a bit hotter (58kpsi vs 55). NATO throat is a bit longer than SAAMI .223. There is a slight possibility that a too short throat will raise pressures above 60kpsi with some loads (probably the heavy bullet versions).

The throat in my Savage Axis is on the long side. I can load 77gn Sierra Match Kings long enough to not fit in the magazine and still not touch the lands. They are loaded longer than the military long range load with the same bullets.

So, I feel safe running NATO ammo in my Axis but do not recommend the practice without knowing what you have.

FWIW, Savage does not recommend running military surplus ammunition of ANY caliber in their rifles. 5.56, 7.62x51, .30-06, 7.62x39, 6.5x55, etc, etc.

Banned
    please remember the following facts..

If you are using CIP loaded ammunition in .223 remington, you ARE using standard 5.56x45 ammunition. It is the SAME in the CIP pressure standards.

The only difference in .223 and 5.56x45 is

1. head stamp name
    2. chamber throat

Besides consider the following, if the .223 chamber stayed at the ORIGINAL 55 grain bullet dimensions from original patent filing, and adoption of 5.56x45 for the US military
    IT would be impossible to use any factory .223 remington cartridge with a bullet over the original 55 grains. Hmm makes me wonder if the 60 to 70 grain stuff from Hornady will kill my gun..

Only genuine military contract 5.56x45 follows the actual NATO standards for the cartridge, as a result if you only used genuine 55 grain fmj loadings you would still be using the original .223 remington specs

SAAMI doesnt have a 5.56x45 standard, so loaders are allowed to use any chamber pressure they want. SO its easy to get 55 grain fmj loaded to the same chamber pressure as the newest 70 grain nato fmj

ORIGINAL vietnam made rifles in 5.56x45 have been given throat reamer jobs to the latest nato standard, and are perfectly safe with ANY military spec ammunition in ANY bullet weight... If there was a chamber pressure problem, these gusn would have BLOWN the first shot.

Boolit Master
    I have an Axis in 223. Cant say anything about 5.56 in it, but I run a 70 grain ish boolit. Throat is plenty long in it. Never shot any j words in it.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    This is perhaps a question for the ages - but what is the opinion of the collective on shooting 5.56mm ammunition in a bolt action rifle? This particular one is 1:9 and was recently acquired by a friend. I do realize that there was a 1:7 offered.
    My personal opinion is that the pressure is fairly insignificant in a modern bolt / single shot / lever action rifles fwiw.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    The short answer is, if you are not shooting reloads, you'll be just fine.

BunkTheory gave a excellent long answer
    Quote Originally Posted by BunkTheory View Post
    please remember the following facts..

If you are using CIP loaded ammunition in .223 remington, you ARE using standard 5.56x45 ammunition. It is the SAME in the CIP pressure standards.

The only difference in .223 and 5.56x45 is

1. head stamp name
    2. chamber throat

Besides consider the following, if the .223 chamber stayed at the ORIGINAL 55 grain bullet dimensions from original patent filing, and adoption of 5.56x45 for the US military
    IT would be impossible to use any factory .223 remington cartridge with a bullet over the original 55 grains. Hmm makes me wonder if the 60 to 70 grain stuff from Hornady will kill my gun..

Only genuine military contract 5.56x45 follows the actual NATO standards for the cartridge, as a result if you only used genuine 55 grain fmj loadings you would still be using the original .223 remington specs

SAAMI doesnt have a 5.56x45 standard, so loaders are allowed to use any chamber pressure they want. SO its easy to get 55 grain fmj loaded to the same chamber pressure as the newest 70 grain nato fmj

ORIGINAL vietnam made rifles in 5.56x45 have been given throat reamer jobs to the latest nato standard, and are perfectly safe with ANY military spec ammunition in ANY bullet weight... If there was a chamber pressure problem, these gusn would have BLOWN the first shot.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    Also consider the fact good folks that you cannot use the case capacity to say "military brass" or "civilian brass",

each lot date is so varied, and have seen independent internet testing data going back 20 years that shows some lots of civilian 7.62x51, 30-06, and 5.56 can have larger case capacities then commercial versions... and sometimes the oposite.

it would be a better thing to hope into reloading books from europe like the norma one and look at the cartridge data side by side, youll see that sometimes the mil spec case gets MORE powder then the civilian version, other times the opposite but pressure still stays the same..

savage refused to answer a question about the CIP standards, merely stated that the rifle was safe with SAAMI or CIP ammunition.