RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone freeze bratts?

Banned

anyone freeze bratts?

I just made up 50lbs of bratts and was grilling a few for the wife and i and got thinking. Why not if im going to fire up the grill cook 20 of them or so and vacuum pack them for later. Do they loose anything if you do it? Winters coming and the grill will be put up soon and it would be nice to have grilled bratts in the winter. I think there much better that way then fried.

We freeze them all the time. GTG.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    Grill them just long enough to get some char on the outside, leaving them pink in the middle. When you take them out of the freezer and reheat them cook them all the way through. Otherwise you will end up with overcooked brats.

Boolit Buddy
    If you can’t grill a decent brat, you can’t qualify for your driver’s license in this state. I don’t know EVERYTHING there is to know about making a killer bratwurst, but I’ve made a heck of a lot of ‘em. We freeze them all the time! Have never frozen one that was half-cooked, though, as Pipefitter has. We freeze them in the (store-bought) package. If we’re in a hurry, to thaw them we put them in a ziploc bag, and place them in a big bowl of cold cold water. They thaw pretty quickly that way.

We love bratwurst, chorizo, Polish, and all the rest. Nothing says Saturday like an awesome smoky Brat fresh off the grill, with condiments, on a great bun, and a cold drink.

8mmFan

Boolit Grand Master
    I have never frozen cooked brats. I don't think they would come out right but might be worth trying out.

Freeze them overnight and try some the next day and you have your answer. It will not matter if they are frozen for 12 hours or 12 months.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

We grill and freeze Smoked Cajun Sausage all the time ... defrost and heat back up in oven or microwave or use in cooking and they taste just fine ...Bratts is just a fresh German sausage , should do well ... vacuum packed and should be just like fresh off the grill .
    Don't over cook them on grill ...might get slightly dry when re-heated .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Yes BUT, they can dry out when reheating! I usually reheat in kraut to add moisture...

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Yes BUT, they can dry out when reheating! I usually reheat in kraut to add moisture...
    I was just about to suggest... same as MaryB suggested . Exactly what I/we do... Just thawed sans the sauerkraut, they seem to lose that added touch from grilling; in the 'kraut, they're pretty much like just made.
    geo

Boolit Master

I would not recommend cooking halfway, too much risk of bacteria. I have cooked them until done and vacuum-sealed them, they stay perfectly fine in the freezer for months. To re-heat just gently steam them in a vegetable steamer.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

I make various kinds of sausage, usually with a shot of liquid smoke. and freeze all of it raw.

If there is a noticeable difference, between that and fresh cooked- my uncultured, certified red neck pallet can't tell.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I was just about to suggest... same as MaryB suggested . Exactly what I/we do... Just thawed sans the sauerkraut, they seem to lose that added touch from grilling; in the 'kraut, they're pretty much like just made.
    geo
    Fully cooked before freezing to dodge bacteria. (they are killed @ 140°F)

That's pretty much was I was thinkin'. To warm, a pan with gentle heat and a TBL of water added to them and a lid placed above to trap the steam. Not boiled, steamed. Or nuked just to warm and no further.

As long as they're treated gently I don't see how it won't work with full flavor.

Please let us know what you did and how it worked.
    Let's go Brandon!

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    I would not recommend cooking halfway, too much risk of bacteria. I have cooked them until done and vacuum-sealed them, they stay perfectly fine in the freezer for months. To re-heat just gently steam them in a vegetable steamer.
    Or throw them in a pot of boiling water while still sealed in the vac bag to reheat them. We do that for hunting camp all the time.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Banned

im talking cooked bratts. My guess isnt that they would be dry if nuked enough to warm them up but would get "soggy" for lack of better words.

Banned

every try leaving them out to thaw then nuking them in the cut open vac bag?

Boolit Grand Master

I buy them when on sale but never cook them before freezing. I vacuum pack them and thaw when needed. We do eat them with grilled onions and green peppers but I am a sauerkraut and mustard guy. Sometimes grill but also in a frying pan with some water or beer and partial steam them.

I saw some on closeout clearance sale the other day and almost bought several packages then saw that they were Pumpkin Spice. Almost hunted down the Meat Dept Manager and slapped him for stocking such an abomination. No wonder they were on clearance.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned

Freeze them and throw them away!

Boolit Master
    I've never frozen grilled bratts, but I have frozen other grilled sausages, hot dogs, and burgers. They do lose an edge when being frozen, but there tolerable. My experts is they tend to dry out rather than get mushy. If your making your own I'd suggest adding a little more fat.

Boolit Master

We do it all the time. We Seal-a-Meal them in meal size packages. When ready we thaw them and place the bag either in boiling water to heat or my favorite way is put them in the microwave. Heating in the microwave heat until the bag starts to swell and they are hot and just like off the grill.
    We do the same thing with burgers and chicken.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    every try leaving them out to thaw then nuking them in the cut open vac bag?
    I have dropped the sealed bag in simmering water... they can still dry out of cooked to long... I freeze with some of the kraut(kraut freezes very well, very little texture change) to combat this. I like my food steaming hot...

Banned

I have dropped the sealed bag in simmering water... they can still dry out of cooked to long... I freeze with some of the kraut(kraut freezes very well, very little texture change) to combat this. I like my food steaming hot...
    now one of my wifes favorites is my beany weeny with brats. I cook up a big batch of baked beans and add about 5-10 lbs of chunks of bratt depending on the batch size instead of nasty hot dogs which i wont eat. Then i can the whole batch. You can take it out dump a jar in the pan and heat it and its a ready made meal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast