RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: .223 reamed to.223 Wylde

.223 reamed to.223 Wylde

Thinking about reaming .223 Ruger to a .223 Wylde. Has anyone done this? Can a reamer be rented and hand lap it?

Boolit Master

What ruger? I don't know exactly what chamber Ruger cuts, but you may already have something close to a 223 Wylde chamber as it is.

The differences in the chambers are basically in the throat area. the body and neck dimensions between a 223 rem, wylde, and Nato chamber are all same/similar.

I think with todays 1 in 7, 1 in 8, 1 in 9 twist barrels and longer/heavier bullets, most chambers are already very similar to a Wylde even though they may not list it as a Wylde.

All that said, I'd see if you could get ruger to tell you what the freebore spec is and compare that to the wylde, just to know what you have.

Thanks for the information…..will ask Ruger….. in storage model? Bolt,stainless,laminated stock.223

Boolit Grand Master
    Might be something a chamber cast can address is you have some Cerrosafe.

A pound cast should tell you what the throat dimensions are.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...rifle-chamber)
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Ruger Mk II, stainless , bolt in .223Rem from the 1990's. Apparently Ruger was concerned that people would shoot military surplus or handloads to mil spec pressures in their guns. Freebore on my gun is so generous that a 55gr bullet seated against the lands would be completely out of the case neck.

You can easily measure the freebore in your gun. Drop a bullet into the chamber and hold it against the lands with a wood dowel or pencil. Insert a cleaning rod into the muzzle until it rests on the bullet tip and mark the rod at the muzzle with a sharp pointed felt tip marker. Then chamber a round with the same bullet, seated to a normal overall length. Insert the cleaning rod again and mark it. The distance between the marks is the distance that bullet travels before it engages the lands.

Even with the generous freebore, my gun shoots 55gr nylon tipped varmint bullets in 3/4 to 7/8 inch five shot groups at 100yds. I load all my .223/5.56 with an OAL of 2.255" so it will fit an AR magazine.

I thought I might try heavier bullets with the long freebore. 60gr Vmax bullets showed a definite decrease in accuracy. My gun barrel has a 1:12 twist and won't stabilize the heavier (longer) bullets.