Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: An Ode to My (Former) Arisakas

Boolit Buddy

An Ode to My (Former) Arisakas

I post this in honor of a collection I put together over a long time, but with which I have parted. Behold the Arisaka - its changes over time tell the story of a dominant power as it declined gradually toward defeat at the hands of a righteous force. It started with a monopod and a sight that had "wings" for windage to shoot down airplanes. It ended with a crude, chiseled, stock drilled will a hole for a rope sling, and crude metal work.

In this picture are a number of Type 99s of various series, and some other Japanese rifles (a type 38, two cavalry type 44s with cool folding bayonets, and a type I Carcano).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arisaka.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	290978

Boolit Master

Awesome collection. i have only two and I do enjoy shooting them.

Boolit Master

I have a Type 38 with a horrible bore (even oversized cast keyholes). I got it from a coworker who says his USN Dad brought it back from the Pacific. Story was, at the end of the war his Dad's ship was in Yokosuka and if a sailors wanted a souvenir, there was a pallet of rifles on the dock to pick from. Since then it sat..... wood isn't too pretty either but I'd really like to get it back into shooting shape. It's not worth putting a lot of $$ into it but are there any suggestions?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rfeustel View Post
    I post this in honor of a collection I put together over a long time, but with which I have parted. Behold the Arisaka - its changes over time tell the story of a dominant power as it declined gradually toward defeat at the hands of a righteous force. It started with a monopod and a sight that had "wings" for windage to shoot down airplanes. It ended with a crude, chiseled, stock drilled will a hole for a rope sling, and crude metal work.

In this picture are a number of Type 99s of various series, and some other Japanese rifles (a type 38, two cavalry type 44s with cool folding bayonets, and a type I Carcano).

Name:	Arisaka.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	290978
    Nice collection of historic arms. I have a 99, a 44 and a 38 converted to 6.5 MS.
    The MS is in a sporter stock and cost me $5 in 1963 when I was home on leave. I assumed it was converted to something else, but found out it was 6.5 Mannlicher Schanouer.

I like Japanese arms and my M44 is the most accurate with all my handloads.

Adam

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Very nice! Years ago, I accumulated a small collection of Type 99 Arisaka - back when you could pick them up at gun shows for $29 to $25. I also had some Brit 303s. I ended up selling them all one time as at the time, Ijsut wasn't interested in reloading and shooting cartridge rifles - I was shooting BP rifled muskets and cannons in N-SSA.

I didn't do a lot of research on the Arisaka - but did find the variants to be interesting. I had a "last ditch" that was really crude. It had a scorched stock from a flame thrower.

I recently got two early Type 38s that my uncle brought back. Both ae in really nice condition all the way through and my goal is to shoot both. Those two rifles have peaked my interest in the Arisaka - maybe not as far as collecting them but I have enjoyed reading about them.

Thanks for sharing the photo - very interesting!

Name:	DSCN3486.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	291011 my small japanese ww-2 group and they are indeed fine shooters with the right ammo, including the pistol.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by eastbank View Post

Name:	DSCN3486.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	291011 my small japanese ww-2 group and they are indeed fine shooters with the right ammo, including the pistol.
    Beautiful, Sir.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    Nice collection of historic arms. I have a 99, a 44 and a 38 converted to 6.5 MS.
    The MS is in a sporter stock and cost me $5 in 1963 when I was home on leave. I assumed it was converted to something else, but found out it was 6.5 Mannlicher Schanouer.

I like Japanese arms and my M44 is the most accurate with all my handloads.

Adam
    I wish I had shot the 44. I can’t imagine being in the cavalry, carrying and shooting that good for you, Sir.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by avogunner View Post
    I have a Type 38 with a horrible bore (even oversized cast keyholes). I got it from a coworker who says his USN Dad brought it back from the Pacific. Story was, at the end of the war his Dad's ship was in Yokosuka and if a sailors wanted a souvenir, there was a pallet of rifles on the dock to pick from. Since then it sat..... wood isn't too pretty either but I'd really like to get it back into shooting shape. It's not worth putting a lot of $$ into it but are there any suggestions?

IMHO, get another 38in shootable condition. It may be cheaper.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate69 View Post
    Awesome collection. i have only two and I do enjoy shooting them.
    I wish I had shot mine. They were safe queens. Have fun!

Boolit Master
    you did good my friend!!