MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F250 Diesel Good Price

Boolit Grand Master

F250 Diesel Good Price

Looking at a 2009 F250 with the 6.4Diesel.
    4wd
    Excellent condition
    Crew Cab
    125,000 miles

I read online about some of the known problems with this engine but some have been addressed like a seperate fuel filter/booster.

Price $26,500
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    125k is barely broke in! Considering what trucks are going for right now, that's probably good, but I haven't been in the market since I got the deal on my truck 3 years ago. I've put 30 k on it, and could probably sell it for more than I bought it for! Crazy!!!

In 2006, I bought my first and only new truck.
    A Fleet model extended cab F250 Super Duty: Bench seat, 6 speed stick, 5.4 gas motor, rubber mats, wind up windows,
    no sound proofing package, AM/FM radio, plastic grill with the old style $20. headlight bulbs, and stamped out steel rims.
    It was $21,600 out the door.

Last week it turned over 60,000 miles, and all the maintenance is on 1/2 time.
    The trans fluid is recommended to be changed at 60,000 miles--- I did it at 30,000. All scheduled maint. is done like that.
    I'd thought about trading it off, but the blue book always hung around $7,000. tops.

Being a el cheapo fleet model, It wouldn't make a decent down payment on a new, fancy 'city truck'.
    I'd be afraid to put some stupid price on it now in case someone came along, thought it was a great deal, and paid it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

The 6.4 motor was the problem that caused Ford to stop using IHC engines, if a engine repair is needed the cab must come off, so add $1000.00 to your repair bill every time that happens , As retired Ford dealership mechanic I have one thing to say about the 6.4 Diesel motor, STAY AWAY, get a 6.0 or a6.7

Boolit Master
    Theres a reason 6.4's can be had cheaper than the older or newer models or cheaper than Cummins or Duramaxes for that matter.

Boolit Master

Almost $27K seemed high to me. I looked online and saw many similar trucks for quite a bit less. I don't know where "Planet Reality" is, but if you are not in the south, you might want to consider doing a little traveling to find a vehicle that has not been exposed to winters and salt.

Boolit Buddy
    Ford's diesels after 2002 are garbage and I wouldn't take one for free

The 6.0 was the worst but they're all garbage.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    126,000 on a 6.4? Get ready for, at a minimum, head gaskets,( head bolts too), high pressure oil pump, and if that fuel system has ever seen ANY WATER, injectors, too. Plus,the fact that has been mentioned already, you got pull the cab just about every time you need to work on that engine! Some things can be done from the top, but not much. If it didn’t have fresh oil changes regular, add a $1200 turbocharger to tha bill already! Good luck to you which ever way you go. As always, this is my opinions , based on a 20+ year career of working on all kinds of Diesel engines.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    Love my 7.3L superduty the transmission not so much.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    In 2006, I bought my first and only new truck.
    A Fleet model extended cab F250 Super Duty: Bench seat, 6 speed stick, 5.4 gas motor, rubber mats, wind up windows,
    no sound proofing package, AM/FM radio, plastic grill with the old style $20. headlight bulbs, and stamped out steel rims.
    It was $21,600 out the door.

Last week it turned over 60,000 miles, and all the maintenance is on 1/2 time.
    The trans fluid is recommended to be changed at 60,000 miles--- I did it at 30,000. All scheduled maint. is done like that.
    I'd thought about trading it off, but the blue book always hung around $7,000. tops.

Being a el cheapo fleet model, It wouldn't make a decent down payment on a new, fancy 'city truck'.
    I'd be afraid to put some stupid price on it now in case someone came along, thought it was a great deal, and paid it.
    I tried to buy that truck a couple of years ago from Ford. I just wanted a basic no-frills 3/4-ton 4x4 pickup with a gas V8. They couldn't get one. Told me all the new trucks were fancy full-optioned $65k+ pickups. Apparently, yuppies with beards and Cabela's flannel shirts are more important to Ford than those of us who work for a living.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    Ford's diesels after 2002 are garbage and I wouldn't take one for free

The 6.0 was the worst but they're all garbage.
    In my limited experience and knowledge, I'd say the 6.0 is preferable to the 6.4 in that (almost) anything needing repair can be taken care of by a typical amateur mechanic in his driveway. This is not true with the 6.4. Additionally, the weak spots on the 6.0 can be taken care of without too much trouble or expense and it becomes a fairly reliable engine.

I don't know that I have heard anyone call the 6.7 Power Stroke garbage. It has been in service now for 11 years (three generations) and has a good track record. I have owned a 7.3, still own a 6.0 and have a 2020 6.7. The 6.7 has so much more power that it isn't even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I tried to buy that truck a couple of years ago from Ford. I just wanted a basic no-frills 3/4-ton 4x4 pickup with a gas V8. They couldn't get one.
    There's a trick to it.

You have to go out back and find the Fleet salesman.
    He's in a little shack or WAY back in the corner of the offices.
    He's the guy you see to buy school buses, tow trucks, ambulances, flat beds with the big Konig tool boxes, etc.

When I wanted to get mine, I went into the showroom, and told the salesman what I wanted:
    3/4 ton, Extended cab, manual trans, gas fired V8, cheap interior package, steel rims, and this is not negotiable.

Salesman, "Sure. Let me show you these ($65,000) Diesel King Ranch ones we just got in.
    Oh, and Ford doesn't make a manual trans. any more". Basically,,,,,,, he wouldn't let me have what I wanted.

I left, called back and asked for the Fleet salesman. I told him what I wanted.
    He said, "I don't have one on the lot, but they have three in Houston.
    I can have one sent up here tomorrow".

This thing has the big 12" clutch, and the trans takes two gallons of fluid, has a PTO port,
    and weighs 100 pounds more than the automatic--- which was a $1,000 option.

And yeah,,,, fancy city trucks are insanely profitable compared to a stripped down fleet model.
    There is probably more profit in a city truck than the fleet model sells for.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 10-29-2021 at 01:03 PM.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Grand Master

I researched this truck before this post. The 2008-2011 had problems. I am very familier with the particulate capture from the diesel having had one on two International daycabs.

If the 10-12 known problems like the fuel boost, radiator etc have been taken care of is this a decent buy? Im hopeful as the owner already did the fuel so must have known what was going on

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    There's a trick to it.

You have to go out back and find the Fleet salesman.
    He's in a little shack or WAY back in the corner of the offices.
    He's the guy you see to buy school buses, tow trucks, ambulances, flat beds with the big Konig tool boxes, etc.

When I wanted to get mine, I went into the showroom, and told the salesman what I wanted:
    3/4 ton, Extended cab, manual trans, gas fired V8, cheap interior package, steel rims, and this is not negotiable.

Salesman, "Sure. Let me show you these ($65,000) Diesel King Ranch ones we just got in.
    Oh, and Ford doesn't make a manual trans. any more". Basically,,,,,,, he wouldn't let me have what I wanted.

I left, called back and asked for the Fleet salesman. I told him what I wanted.
    He said, "I don't have one on the lot, but they have three in Houston.
    I can have one sent up here tomorrow".

This thing has the big 12" clutch, and the trans takes two gallons of fluid, has a PTO port,
    and weighs 100 pounds more than the automatic--- which was a $1,000 option.

And yeah,,,, fancy city trucks are insanely profitable compared to a stripped down fleet model.
    There is probably more profit in a city truck than the fleet model sells for.
    Been there. Try to tell a floor guy you want vinyl not carpet and fabric as its easier to hose out. You get "the look" because all the lumbersexuals need an $80,000 decked out rig to go to Cosco and would never actually put something like plywood or firewood in the bed. It might scratch

I have a 2008 bought when I came back from Iraq in 2007. Mine has had no problems and been very well maintained. I actually prefer the DPF over the newer blue juice based on cost. I am back in AL to stay now and we have no emissions tests to worry about.
    Tony

Boolit Grand Master

Moot now. Truck is gone after less than one week on the lot

Boolit Master

Be thankful for unanswered prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    all the lumbersexuals need an $80,000 decked out rig to go to Cosco and would never actually put something like plywood or firewood in the bed. It might scratch
    I see that here too.

Guys buy these fancy, incredibly expensive, two story- 4WD, 6 mile per gallon, city trucks to go deer hunting with once a year.

Then going down through the Hill Country during deer season, they're parked off the road at the property's gate
    so they won't get scratched between the road and their campsite.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    Keep your eye out for a Cummins. I had a ford with a cornbinder diesel, Cummins is Sooooo Much Better.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Keep your eye out for a Cummins. I had a ford with a cornbinder diesel, Cummins is Sooooo Much Better.
    I've got a 500HP Cummins in my current truck.

Ive run Cummins, Cats, Mack etc but the best pulling was a Detroit Diesel Multi Torque. Pulled like a beast and got 1mpg better than my current. Doesn't sound like much but figure $3.75 diesel and 120,000 miles a year. 6 vs 7mpg is more than a couple banana splits
    Last edited by jonp; 10-31-2021 at 12:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast