MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Coated boolits in aluminum cases.

Boolit Buddy

Coated boolits in aluminum cases.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	range ammo.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	290942

I picked up some primed aluminum cases for less than the current cost of primers, and figured I would give it a go. The bullets are from a huge batch of 124 grain bullets that were processed in several batches, hence the mixed colors. Yeah, the one case looks a little wrinkled, but it fits in the chamber gauge, and cycles through the gun. The coatings were a varying mix of Eastwood Pink and Ford Light Blue. They are fun for plinking.

Be careful aluminum cases are not supposed to be reloaded. I have seen them rupture with bad affects like total gun destruction.

ACC

Boolit Buddy
    These were factory loaded, and somebody pulled the bullets and powder. They had never been fired. So they aren't so much being reloaded as they are being loaded again. If that makes any sense. Somebody wanted the bullets for something else.

I wouldn't have any problem with doing them like you're doing.

I wouldn't reload them, but then again; all the Alum. cases I've ever seen were Berdan primed anyway.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gun toting monkeyboy View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	range ammo.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	290942

I picked up some primed aluminum cases for less than the current cost of primers, and figured I would give it a go. The bullets are from a huge batch of 124 grain bullets that were processed in several batches, hence the mixed colors. Yeah, the one case looks a little wrinkled, but it fits in the chamber gauge, and cycles through the gun. The coatings were a varying mix of Eastwood Pink and Ford Light Blue. They are fun for plinking.
    I don't see a problem with your reloading new cases, but be aware aluminium becomes brittle at temperatures over 400 degrees, so once fired toss them.

Banned

Let us know how it goes monkeyboy, I'd be interested in hearing.

I played with some aluminum cases, and got four reloads out of one before I lost it. Stick to moderate loads, and you’ll be fine. Be aware, though, that some of the earlier ones contained Berdan primers, and are hard to reprime.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Buddy
    Okay, the range results were anticlimactic. They went bang just fine. The accuracy was fine. Nothing spectacular, but average for range ammo. The best part is that I could simply walk away and leave all of the spend cases on the floor of the indoor range. The powder load was a moderate load directly from the Lee loading data that came with the reloading dies. It was a compressed load, but I was getting no pressure signs on any of the spent cases. I doubt I will come across any more deal like this one, but it is nice to know that it works just fine.

-Mb

As a side note, I had planned on running these through a pistol caliber carbine as well as the handguns. However, I found notes in the user's manual for the 9mm upper I picked up on Black Friday specifically saying NOT to use aluminum cases in their upper. I also found several reliable sources online saying the same thing. So it looks like these are for my handguns only.

Boolit Master

I have reloaded aluminum cases when I can pick boxer primed at the range. They are a one time use for matches where I am moving so I don't have to worry about brass. I don't load anywhere near top end and have had no failures so far. I have done .45ACP, 9mm and .380.

Boolit Master
    If you do any reduced loads, they are good for that.