Load DataRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: 45 colt cylinder throats

45 colt cylinder throats

I recently purchased a Howell cartridge conversion for my Uberti 1858 Remington.

cylinder throats are currently .452
    The barrel is .454 (grooves)
    Bullets are soft lead .454 sized, used in non resized brass.
    Black powder only
    Planning to ream the throats at .455 with using a coaxial indicator to find center on the mill.

Thoughts? Is 0.001 good enough for clearance?
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Yes, you are exactly spot-on.

My 1914 Colt New Service came exactly that way and shoots like a rifle. Also my Pietta-Cimarron Colt SA clone.

I use Accurate 45-246H as-cast and unsized in 1 to 30 tin-lead from Roto Metals at .455 with 6.5 grains of Bullseye, which approximates factory smokeless velocity, lubricated with Lee Liquid Alox.

I ordered the mold at .454 and it drops just a wee bit large which is perfect.

If you want to shoot black use 50-50 olive oil and beeswax and pan-lube, filling crimp groove also.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45-246H-D.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	290939
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Excellent, thank you!
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master

I get chucking reamers at McMaster-Carr.

Vendor Sponsor

Should be good to go, only thing is if you have any tool marks you don't have any meat left to clean them up. I use a Sunnen hone for this work and would probably suggest to hone to .4545" but soft lead, it really doesn't matter about half a thou or a whole thou, it will fill up the throats anyway.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I’d recheck the groove diameter. Seems pretty loose for a Uberti. Should be closer to 0.451”, some sources list 0.4505”

My pietta is 450, my uberties are all at .454.
    ― Winston S. Churchill

You caused me to doubt myself so I checked again, its right at .454.
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by almar View Post
    You caused me to doubt myself so I checked again, its right at .454.
    "Measure once, cut twice; measure twice, cut once." Good on ya, sir.

I have a very nice Bisley Blackhawk from the 1990s, but like a lot of Ruger firearms it came in "Kit form". The grooves are .452", but the throats in OEM form were .448"-.449". It has since been known as my "Built Backwards Bisley", or "3B" for brevity.

It was a consummate PITA for cast bullets, though it would run one design very well--Lyman #452490 (a SWC/GC form of 255 grains weight). So I put up with the quirks for about 3 years before breaking down and reaming the throats to .4525" with a piloted reamer and polishing them out to .453" finish diameter. I have several moulds that drop bullets at .454"+, and they are sized at that spec and seated in cases expanded with a .453" spud. The revolver is WONDERFULLY accurate, and hasn't seen a jacketed bullet for its entire life. It mostly gets #454424 these days, at 1000 FPS from its 7.5" barrel. Unique and Herco are its usual fuels.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Have seen a few revolvers that have a tight spot in the bore from being to tight in the frame. Seems if you crank the barrel in real tight the "V" threads will squeeze the bore down a bit.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    Have seen a few revolvers that have a tight spot in the bore from being to tight in the frame. Seems if you crank the barrel in real tight the "V" threads will squeeze the bore down a bit.
    Thread choke is fairly common in S&Ws made after they stopped pinning the barrels.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

its a one hole shooter now! Quite happy.
    ― Winston S. Churchill

I use these two, the last one was made for the percussion cylinder to .460, I size it to 454 for the cartridge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45-260F.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	291027Click image for larger version. 

Name:	46-247C.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	291028
    ― Winston S. Churchill