Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners Load Data

Thread: 500 linebaugh question

Banned

500 linebaugh question

i can find 400-480gr boolits with reloading data. what i can't find is reloading data for 510-530gr boolits. i want to use either unique, titegroup or 2400. does anybody use 510-530gr boolits and the previous powders?

Banned

nope. Been shooting them for 30 years and 480s are the heaviest I use.

Banned

did a quick internet search and came up with this http://singleactions.proboards.com/thread/2351 I'm sure theres more out there if you look.

Go to AccuratePowders, download the data book and look up the .500 Linebaugh data.
    I'm trying Accurate #9 with 525s from MP molds.

I couldn't find published data for the Powders I wanted to try, so I'm switching Powders.
    Last edited by John in WYO; 10-20-2016 at 09:55 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tdoyka View Post
    i can find 400-480gr boolits with reloading data. what i can't find is reloading data for 510-530gr boolits. i want to use either unique, titegroup or 2400. does anybody use 510-530gr boolits and the previous powders?
    The Linebaugh needs driven. It was not made for Unique or such. If you think you can shoot heavy boolits at 900 fps, not to be.
    It is close to the .500 JRH with a larger diameter boolit. The BFR JRH has a faster twist and still needs driven. You need a heavier load in the Linebaugh.
    Make boolits too heavy and you will never get to spin. You joke about Unique!

Banned

My two 4 inch 500s shot just fine at reduced loads. Just as well as my 475s did. Only one I had a problem with using lighter loads was a 475 freedom arms gun. it liked hotter loads much better. Now I'm talking one inch 25 yard groups. Not 100 yard groups.

Boolit Grand Master
    1" groups with a 500 L is 2 boolits
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    Ya Lloyd I have found the same thing. I used titegroup with 480 gr bullets with good results. Just don't use a CCI 350 with that powder. Looks like you ran a blowtorch up the side of bullet. Wouldn't have normally done so but forgot that the primed brass had 350's in them. I can't remember the load though.

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    Not sure what you meant by this, but two half-inch holes touching measure one half inch center to center.

Banned

if you want to use your 350s try some hs6. Its works well with mag primers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Messy bear View Post
    Ya Lloyd I have found the same thing. I used titegroup with 480 gr bullets with good results. Just don't use a CCI 350 with that powder. Looks like you ran a blowtorch up the side of bullet. Wouldn't have normally done so but forgot that the primed brass had 350's in them. I can't remember the load though.

Banned

Twist fellas, just twist.

Boolit Master

^^^ or a longer barrel

I've got the 500 Linebaugh max with an 8" barrel with 1:18 twist - a 1:16 probably would have been better but one can only enjoy so much felt recoil before they come to the conclusion that enough fun is enough.

Maybe invest in 8#s of a different powder for that 500 Linebaugh - should last you a lifetime.

Banned

I made a mold for the .500 Linebaugh, 456 gr. It takes 31.5 gr of 296 with a Fed 155. It will make you think twice but is deadly accurate.
    I love the .475 but don't like the 510" of the Linebaugh. Prefer the .501" of the JRH. Use .500 S&W brass and dies.
    It WILL shoot but you can't baby it.

Boolit Mold
    I'm dropping some 475 gr. LFNs from my ACCURATE mold and pushing them in my 500 Linebaugh BFR 5.5 with 2.2 cc of Alliant Steel.. Very accurate and manageable recoil.. got a Ruger Super Blackhawk with Bisley frame being converted to 500 Linebaugh with a 4 5/8 inch barrel, hoping to make that my carry gun in the back country.

Any chrony numbers and what does that equal in grains and what mold #. I have the 51-450B and the 51-480RP.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    Yep. With my eyes, a 1" group with two boolits would be like... ummm.... maybe.... a range of three yards. With a rest.