RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Lee 303 Savage overworking brass

Lee 303 Savage overworking brass

Just started reloading for the 303 Savage this summer.

Picked up a new Lee 303 Savage F/L sizing die, using my M die and seater I use for 30-30 Winchester.

First 50 loaded fine, brand new PPU brass, loaded with a mix of 31141's and jacketed. Shot them, everything appears normal. When I went to F/L size so I could reload them, it appears I'm getting WAY too much neck sizing. Like .301-.302 ID after sizing. A visible reduction of diameter on the neck if I short stroke the press and bring the case back out before contacting the shell holder.

To the point I am opting to anneal after a single loading and resizing, I'm afraid that the necks are going to split after a single load/fire/resize cycle.

Having never loaded 303 before is this normal? It just seems I am dramatically overworking the necks.

As a test I did the same with a 30-30 Wichester, neck diameter ID does not seem to be shrunk anywhere near as much.

What say ye, Lee defective die or is this normal for the 303 Savage?

Anybody ever hone out the neck on a sizer die to not overwork the brass?

The silence is deafening

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    ............Anybody ever hone out the neck on a sizer die to not overwork the brass?
    I have, using adjustable barrel laps. Most sizing dies are hardened, so lapping the neck portion to open it it a few thou requires lapping.

Rick
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Buddy
    Chances are the difference between the actual chamber and the reamer used to cut the sizing die.
    Take a sized case and compare the caliper readings to case numbers listed in
    Cartridges of the World or Nonties book of Cartridge conversions.

Hello 15meter,

Here's what I have listed for the 303 Savage.

AntiqueSledMan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 303 Savage.jpg  

I load the 303 Savage for a old 99 H and use the same Lee dies and PPU brass. Honestly I have only shot it a few times and reloaded like 10 casings probably 3 or 4 times. So far I haven’t noticed anything out of the ordinary but that doesn’t mean it’s not.
    Right now I can’t check the brass but maybe by the weekend I will have a chance and will report what I find .
    If it is overworking the brass I would call Lee and see what they say, probably blame the PPU brass.
    I would check the neck thickness of the brass also because I use PPU brass in the 8 mm Lebel and it is very thick.

Jedman

Quote Originally Posted by AntiqueSledMan View Post
    Hello 15meter,

Here's what I have listed for the 303 Savage.

AntiqueSledMan.
    My die is taking the ID down to .302, I'm using without the expander plug in the die, I like to expand with a proper "M" die before seating the boolits.

Just think going down to .302 is a mite on the small side.

Not had good luck with emails to Lee asking questions like this in the past. Usually never get a response back. Still wait on a question from last spring. It's been so long I forget what I was even asking about.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I'd just set up my die to short stroke the case just enough to get the mouth the size I want. Then your M die and and crimping should keep you necks from being over worked.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]