Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lyman 525 slugs with ported wad stripping IC/Skeet chokes like Indian Creek?

Lyman 525 slugs with ported wad stripping IC/Skeet chokes like Indian Creek?

Was kind of curious, loved my .665 indian creek shotgun choke so much i got a .720 waterfowl choke as a do it all ported IC choke or if going by constriction (.724 bore, .720 choke) more of a skeet sized choke for slugs and buck which should have a generous safety margin.

Manufacturer rec'd against slugs but for those who load the 525 we know it doesn't really fit into any factory slug category as it uses shotshell wads which the chokes are designed for, and the 525 slugs are quite undersized to the bore in order to fit shot cups..

Anyone with experience using indian creek .710-.720 chokes with 525's or even factory slugs?
    Recycle, Reuse, Reload.

I shoot them through a factory .715 with no issues.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Grand Master

I would not shoot a Lyman 525 through anything I wouldn't shoot a rifled slug. Is there anything special about the Indian Creek tube design, or is it just a normal choke with a taper, and short parallels section? If it's just a normal choke, I'd shoot slugs from any improved cylinder myself. I guess the bigger question is why did you spend $90 on a fancy ported tube for only a skeet constriction? Instead of messing with that, I'd put it up for sale, and buy a basic Carlsons IC tube.

Well, got my first Indian creek choke as a laugh for a handgun range that allows birdshot at their pistol steel gallery and it's the best patterning choke ive used and very noticeably reduces recoil. Got it for bout half off for my mossberg 590, and was able to score both skeet and turkey choke for less than half off. Pic included to better illustrate the wad stripping feature.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	991FFE66-B511-4643-8FEF-824604912614_zps15warnwp.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	290915
    Recycle, Reuse, Reload.

Why does it want to strip the wad? I don't understand

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com