Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bullets still key holeing

Boolit Master

Dave, that's good news and great that Henry stepped up. I have a Rossi R92, 44mag with 24" barrel who's bore is very generous. So generous that it needs .434" cast boolits. Unfortunately a loaded round is too fat to pass between the load gates. (you have no idea what a pain it is to try and get a too fat wedged round out of there.) I contacted Rossi and they said their guns are manufactured for jacketed ammo... A BS response to be sure. My Rossi R92 in 357mag loves cast.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Pee View Post
    Hey - I finally found this older thread...

Henry put on a new bbl for me, and now the carbine shoots just about anything! Seems to like 21 gr of w296. This works well with 240 gr XTP bullet, or a ranch dog 265 bullet, with gas check.

First accuracy test was 5 rounds at 50 yards; about 1" group!
    Oh, that's great news. I love to hear this kind of Henry feedback. a couple years ago, they fixed my 41 mag BBS (replacing inner parts) and turnaround was quicker than expected.
    I assume they installed a 1:20 twist barrel, did you check that?
    also have you slugged it? Is it .431 or .429 ?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    "I assume they installed a 1:20 twist barrel, did you check that?
    also have you slugged it? Is it .431 or .429 ?"

I have not looked at it - and dont plan to. "Never look a gift horse in the mouth !"

One other tidbit I didn't see mentioned is that .44 Magnum Rifle barrels are not .429 they are .431+/- .002. This is done to cope with pressure which has no place to bleed off like in a Revolver. Once the breech is closed everything must go out the muzzle.

This is SAAMI Spec for Rifle Barrels.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    One other tidbit I didn't see mentioned is that .44 Magnum Rifle barrels are not .429 they are .431+/- .002. This is done to cope with pressure which has no place to bleed off like in a Revolver. Once the breech is closed everything must go out the muzzle.

Randy
    That is very interesting - Thanks Randy!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

Randy
    Is it though?
    That isn't the normal practice of 357mag or 41mag or 45colt.

I only asked Dave Pee to slug his, because I am wondering what Henry is currently doing. I have asked the same question to a couple people who have bought a Henry 44 mag that has been manufactured in the last 18 months...and have gotten the same answer that Dave Pee gave me
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Had to go look it up. SAAMI does not list separate information for .357mag in rifles, or .38spl.

There is also no listing for the .44-40 in pistols, only in rifles. Same for the .38-40 and .32-20.

The .44mag has listings as rifle and pistol and the bore is different. I did not see any reasons for this in the documents.

Boolit Grand Master

I wonder what happened to the OP ... He has a problem with key holes in his Henry , then evaporates ... Catkiller man .... Where Y'at !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123