RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: press any different for paper hulls ?

press any different for paper hulls ?

I reloaded a couple thousand 20 gage ( common aa plastic) on a lee load all years and years ago with my dad. This fall Ive taken up trap . I have LOTS of fed paper hulls. I'm wondering if picking up a used single stage mec might be worth it?
    I understand that the cost is in the shot and 209s are not on shelves , but strictly mechanically do I need anything extraordinary to load paper hulls?

20 gauge AA hulls have a 8 point crimp, paper, even in 12 gauge are 6 point.

On a MEC, you change the crimp starter. The "Spindex" at station four on MEC progressive presses, the 650, Grabber and various flavors of the 9000.

I assume there is a comparable function on the Lee. On the MEC it is a simple snap on/off over a ball to chance from 6 to 8 point crimp.

No idea how it is done on the Lee, I do know if you don't do the change, first loaded round that makes it all the way around the carousel will let you know.

Or so I've been told

Boolit Grand Master

Paper's load even easier than plastic, the Lee does a phenomenal job with them.

Boolit Master
    your major problem with paper now is about 1 reload, they are very thin and will burn or split at the head

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by too many things View Post
    your major problem with paper now is about 1 reload, they are very thin and will burn or split at the head
    I've been playing around with some older 12ga Federal paper shells lately. I'm not seeing a big problem, and they are definitely not thin. I'm getting about 3 reloads from them with no work. I'm told you can re-wax them for an extra load or two. I'm not seeing any burning, mine get torn up inside, and the crimp doesn't seem very good past 3 loads. This is with star crimping. I have not tried roll crimping them.

Boolit Master
    Thirtyfive years ago my skeet two man team partner and grouse hunting partner went to great lengths scrounging for paper Federals . He liked them in an 1100 and loaded them on a Grabber same as a AA or REM . He “claimed” they lessened recoil , I tried a few to see if I noticed any difference and in an O/U I saw none but a lot of things in shotgun sports are partially MENTAL so who am I to say yay or nay !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Buddy
    I understand using a hair curler can get the mouth back in shape. I never had to bother with that. Mine crimped just fine. Just watch which crimp starter you need on the Lee Load All and use the right one. I've taken to marking the 6 point and 8 point with a white paint stick. Welders supplies places. If they don't stay crimped, a drop of glue will keep them closed. BTW paper hulls don't like the wet so... I find there really isn't a shortage of acceptable plastic hulls kicking around.

Boolit Bub
    I've reloaded Federal GM papers up to six times before getting pinholes, but that was with a light load of 7/8 oz. Handicap loads will start pin-holing at the third reload. I use a smooth cone starter on my MEC 9000.

Sorry I was unclear, the lee loader wore out and was upgraded long ago at dads house. I don't currently reload shotgun at all, but i believe I could get my hands on a used single stage mec and borrow dads sizer.

Boolit Grand Master

I'd just buy another Lee if I were you. The Federal paper hulls seem to be about the easiest and most forgiving shell I've ever worked with. I found 1 1/2 55 gallon drums of Federal plastic shells for free, otherwise I'd be looking to get a lot more of the papers. They might not handle water as well, but that seems a small price to pay.

Boolit Grand Master
    You can load plastic and paper hulls on the same reloader. You will likely need to adjust it but that is no different than changing from Federal plastic to AA plastic. Papers have an "aura" about them but it is mostly BS. If you have enough and/or they are cheap use them.

I shot a lot of Trap and used a few to check out the BS and never got anymore. Good plastic hulls last longer.
    Don Verna

The "aura" is the smell, I, and just about all my skeet/trap/sporting clays buddies agree, the Federal paper smells just great after firing.....................
    Last edited by 15meter; 10-31-2021 at 08:51 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I've been playing around with some older 12ga Federal paper shells lately. I'm not seeing a big problem, and they are definitely not thin. I'm getting about 3 reloads from them with no work. I'm told you can re-wax them for an extra load or two. I'm not seeing any burning, mine get torn up inside, and the crimp doesn't seem very good past 3 loads. This is with star crimping. I have not tried roll crimping them.
    I have never tried to re-wax paper hulls, but I have tried/used vaseline to get 2 or 3 more reloads from my paper hulls.
    Enewetak Atomic Clean Up Veteran 1979