WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time Coon Hunting

First Time Coon Hunting

Was able to go out with my buddy the other night . Never did any kind of coon hunting with dogs ,always just trapping so I figured I'd brings everyone along with a little video lol.

A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Buddy

Reminds me of days gone by. We hunted them back when was in high school. Back then a hide was worth $3-$5. Good times. Enjoyed the video.

I enjoyed the video, looks like fun was had by all. I tried it once, came up empty. Got one in the corn crib though when I was a kid and of course had to have mom cook it up. That was a mistake! It was awful!..worst ''meat'' I ever had!

Boolit Buddy
    Back when I was your age (and almost as good looking) one of us would climb the tree and throw the coon to the ground.
    Then the chase would start again or there would be a real dog/coon fight. We used to find big snakes and a few moonshine stills while hunting. We hardly ever shot a racoon.

Good video Wolfdog91, thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

I only went once many (and I do mean many) years ago when I was about 15. The two fellas I was hunting with were experienced older men, with legs a whole lot longer than mine. I was worn smooth out by the end of the hunt that night. The dogs hit once or twice, but the coon managed to slip away and we'd be off and walking again. But, that's why they call it hunting. It just didn't do a whole lot for me, I'm more of a squirrel hunter. Chasin' dogs ain't real high on my list no more.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Awesome, Wait until it cools off a bit, Less critters, leaves, and Dog's nose works better !

Cool video! Thanks for sharing.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master

Very good.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

I've had a lot of fun Coon Hunting over the years. I wish I was still up to it.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Wolfdog - when I bring your thread up, the video doesn't show? Is it my computer? Would love to see it!

Boolit Grand Master

Awesome Video ...brings back a lot of memories !
    I still enjoy hearing the dogs ... it's just beautiful music !
    Thanks for making and posting that , I enjoyed it a lot .
    Brings back memories of our deer / coon dog ... Elmo , half beagle and half bluetick hound and he loved to hunt anything even squirrels .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

All I have to do to coon hunt is toss the BBQ grease out in my wild patch and wait LOL at dark 3-4 will show up!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by owejia View Post
    Reminds me of days gone by. We hunted them back when was in high school. Back then a hide was worth $3-$5. Good times. Enjoyed the video.
    Back in high school a buddy and i were hunting woodchucks and happened on a large coon in an apple tree. It was $35 for us sold green. Windfall for us
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

I did a lot of coon trapping when I was a kid I always wanted to hunt for them with dogs after reading were the red furniture grows
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

Good video. Great experience. Me...I'm with the young dog that didn't want to hunt. We'll go back home and go to bed.

DG

Boolit Master
    "Knock him out John!"

Honestly though, it does bring back memories of my youth! Nothing like hearing that lonesome bellow when ole Highball trees! Tramping around in a cotton mouth infested swamp in the dark, almost breathing mosquitos, tripping over tree limbs and falling on your face, yep good times! One of my cousins Grandpa was always trading coon dogs, he'd sit in the truck and listen to the chase, while us boys chased the dogs! Now days I could listen to a good run all night!

Boolit Buddy
    So that's what it looks like to hunt coon's with dogs! I've never had the chance. As interesting as it seems, I'm not sure it would be for me. It was cool to watch the video and see how its done. Thanks very much for sharing. Safe hunting in the future.

Isaac

Boolit Grand Master

If I'm not mistaken ... Amite County MS is where some of the most illustrious Coon Hunting Stories come from .
    Wolf Dog ... did you all draw straws to see who climbed the tree or was one a "Professional Tree Climber" like John Eubanks ... Did you give the coon a "Sportin Chance" ?
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    When I was in my early 20's I met a neighbor (about my age) who was addicted to coon hunting. His true interest was his dogs. He owned at least one of every breed of coon dog he could find and ran them at the local hunting competitions. He also hunted with the dogs and took me along a few times. I thought I was young and tough enough for the hunts but he showed me what "tough" really meant. Wore me completely out several times and it was always great fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast