Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: 54 Cal Muzzleloader

Boolit Mold

54 Cal Muzzleloader

Hi all!

BLUF: need help finding best projectile for 54 cal pre warning Thompson Center Renegade 1:48 twist.

I’m brand new to muzzleloaders and casting. My family has been doing it for a long time, but we don’t live near each other anymore.
    I got my dads old muzzleloader that appears to be a Thompson Center Renegade in 54 cal. He doesn’t remember it’s loads.
    I got round balls. I’m waiting for some to shoot/test before getting stuff to cast them. I’d really like some bullets for it, but almost no one sells any. Just cavities to cast them.
    I’m looking at the Lyman plains cavity (450gr) and Lee 380gr REAL bullet cavity.
    If you have any experience with this same rifle and any bullets that shot well, please let me know.

Super Moderator

First of all welcome to Castboolits. Not a T/C Renegade, but I have a Lyman Deerstalker in 54 Caliber 1/48 twist. The 1/48 is sort of a "compromise" twist in my opinion, and will enable you to shoot both round balls and conicals with decent accuracy. In 54 Cal a roundball will do just about anything that needs doing, but if it's heavy conicals you want you could try some of Hornady's 425 grain "Great Plains" bullets. These worked well for me, so I ended up buying this mold from Accurate molds, it's very similar. It's not a hollowpoint and doesn't need to be! It shoots really, really well in my Deerstalker. Good luck!

https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet...bullet=55-430M

Boolit Master
    PM sent

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7F35D5B5-48EC-4463-8ED3-C637B7A60C6C.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	290847
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7E27D49C-59FA-4128-8E5E-6EE1C12BB076.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	290848

From the 1995 TC manual
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    A 230 grain patched round ball and 80 grains of either Pyrodex RS or real black FFg powder (by measured volume, not actual weight) is an accurate, moderate load in my T/C Hawken and Lyman Great Plains Rifle. It should do for any deer you might encounter. You can buy blue striped pillow ticking by the yard at most Walmarts, wash it once and cut into 1" wide strips, then cut off a 1" piece for a patch. Common olive or grapeseed oil will work for a lube as well as the cans of mink oil for shoes. Patches don't have to be round to work. Hope this helps. GF

Hi Holmes and welcome to castboolits.
    .530 round ball is going to be really hard to beat, depending of course on your shooting and hunting conditions.
    This old advertisement from TC has a lot to say about bullets for their rifles.

That .54 Maxihunter is the mash and grab of muzzleloading bullets.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’d start with a patched round ball, especially if you don’t have a source for pure lead.

Boolit Master

As has been said above, the .530" round ball will do all that needs doing. I've used 70 gr. of FFG in my Renegade for decades and never wanted or needed more. If you do go with conicals, get a couple spare nipples, you'll need them. The extra pressure that the heavy conical boolit produces will burn out your nipple quickly. You'll know when this happens as the gas blowing out the nipple will cock the gun when you fire it. When that happns, replace the nipple. Nipple life with conicals can be as little as 30-40 shots, depending on your load.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Moderator Emeritus

That .530 RB will get you a pass through on elk. The Maxi hunters are great an the Lee REAL bullets work ok as well. I have a 54 barrel that I swap occasionally on my 50 TC Hawken. I have only used RB in it. With MT having announced a muzzleloader season that could change.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

In my T/C 54cal Hawken I us 75gn of Swiss No.1 (2F) and a patched round ball. I have a Lyman 'Minnie' but rarely use . BTW, out of all my muzzleloaders the 54cal followed by the 50cals are the most accurate with round ball.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master
    I've always used a .530" RB with cut at the muzzle pillow ticking patches in my Renegade, with a suitable charge of FFG.

Robert

I had a Renegade, and used the T/C Maxi Ball with 80 grains (as I recall) of ffG black powder. Brilliantly accurate, and deer hit with this load dropped like sash weights. This load kicks a bit, so I’d recommend starting with something lighter until you get used to the rifle. Google black powder forums. There are several, and they can provide loads of info for you.

Black powder is habit forming. Good luck to you, and keep yer horn outa the fire.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    You could use the Lyman as it is super accurate ,it is in my Renegades as is the 50 cal as is the 45 cal close to the same mold as the Great Plains /PM me /Ed

Boolit Mold
    Thank you all for the advice and info. I’d thank each individually, but that seems excessive. I’ll try RB for now. It’ll handle mule and whitetail deer for sure. I trust it for elk, but I’ll probably end up casting the Lyman with my brother in Idaho. I’m pretty familiar with heavy recoil, I’ve helped build some lightweight heavy hitting bolt guns.
    I’m excited to be a part of the community.
    Thanks again.

Hello Holmes Defense,

I've been shooting my RCBS 45-300-FN with sabot out of my .50 Lyman Great Plains Hunter, 1-32 twist.
    My son has my old TC Hawken .50 and is shooting the LEE 452-255-RN with a sabot, both shoot fine.
    I know they make sabots in .54 cal for the .45 pistol bullets , that's what I'd try.
    I do shoot them in my .54 Lyman Great Plains Hunter with my RCBS sized to .453".
    Easy loading with no mess from lubes.

AntiqueSledMan.

I have a Renegade in 54 caliber. I shoot a patched 530 round ball with 80 Grains of Goex 2f behind it. Accurate to 125 yards and puts a whooping on white tails.

Sam Sackett

Boolit Buddy
    Used a .54 Renegade for several years. Used Hornady Great Planes 425gr HPHB bullet to kill several deer. Always got complete penetration and plenty of damage to shut them down. Had plenty of accuracy to reach 125yds on deer. I think this bullet was discontinued but seems like NOE was looking at making one. I also used a .530 round ball with pillow ticking for plinking.

Boolit Master
    When I had the 1 in 48 barrel on my TC renegade I used both the the TC maxi-ball and the Maxi-hunter.
    With a little searching you could probably find one those molds.

Boolit Master
    I have a 54 CVA that I shoot either 530 RB patched or a 490 RB inside a 28ga shotgun wad. Both shoot very well and the 28ga wad with a RB is very quick and easy to load. I pack the wad with crisco, put a RB in it and keep a few in medicine bottles ready to load