Thread: Springfield Armory’s new Hi-Power

Banned
    This will probably be my next purchase.
    I love the BHP's

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Thanks for posting. Has me by the short hairs too and I don't like 9mms
    Same here.

I might have to overcome my disdain for it.

Boolit Master
    I’m selling lately, not buying. But this gun has me thinking.

Boolit Master
    I last carried an HP in Viet Nam and wished I had been able to bring it back. I think I will try for one of these. I just called my local Springfield dealer on Atlanta's southside and he said it could be tomorrow or six months before he sees one as that't what his recent experience with Springfield has been. I guess I will continue to search and wait. GF

Boolit Master

I've signed up for stock notifications at several places.

I'm a bit upset that SA didn't have them available for purchase on the announcement date.

I've got spare mags coming and a set of G-10 grips coming.

I'm hoping that the rear dovetail is something that an adjustable sight will fit into.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by one-eyed fat man View Post
    The Hi-Power feels so good in the hand, then the trigger feels like you are dragging a cat across broken milk bottles. Springfield getting rid of the magazine safety will go a long ways towards fixing that. Making the safety a little easier to use will be nice as well.

The only other double stack nine that sits as well is the CZ-75. Most of the rest of that tribe vary from awkward and clunky to fat and boxy.
    My 2016 BHP trigger is kind of heavy but super crisp. All I have ever done was remove the mag safety, which honestly didn't improve it much.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    The CZ Shadow 2 is designed specifically for USPSA's Production Division. Single action guns are not allowed in Production and there is no division in USPSA where a 9mm single action (non 1911) pistol is competitive. In short, I wouldn't be looking at this to eat into CZ's market for the Shadow 2 at all.

I really like this pistol and I wish it had a place in USPSA. I'd probably be shooting one if it did--the BHP is an excellent pistol.
    CZ makes a single action only version of the Shadow 2. It is intended for the target shooter crowd. That is the one I was thinking of.
    https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-shadow-2-sa/

Boolit Master
    I’ve been thinking on the SA-35. I’d sure like to handle one, but would not buy. I would not carry it, and I’m well protected at home now. If I was 20 years younger ……..

Moderator Emeritus

Stopped at LGS when looking at a 38 for girlfriend and ordered one. Said around $600 and I was the third one already who ordered one.

Quote Originally Posted by 45workhorse View Post
    I not a 9 mm fan either BUT, it was made Mr. Browning!
    Will be looking at them closer!
    Sorry, but JMB's involvement was actually miniscule, as in almost none. Don't remember the details, but his biggest contribution was his name.

Dagnabit! Just when I thought I was through buying handguns, got what a need and all the 'Wonder Nines' have been polymer & plastic. I've wanted a Hi-Power since the 70's. I'll have to have one in hand and see how it feels before investing in one though.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    Sorry, but JMB's involvement was actually miniscule, as in almost none. Don't remember the details, but his biggest contribution was his name.
    Although considerable work and alteration was done before the 1935 Grand Puissance was adopted, the first prototype was finished and the patent applied for in 1926, shortly before John Browning's death. In fact. he literally died while working on it at Val Browning's, his son, work shop. the patent was granted three months after his death. Dieudonne Saive refined the design and produced the final working models which became the Hi Power of History and legend.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Although considerable work and alteration was done before the 1935 Grand Puissance was adopted, the first prototype was finished and the patent applied for in 1926, shortly before John Browning's death. In fact. he literally died while working on it at Val Browning's, his son, work shop. the patent was granted three months after his death. Dieudonne Saive refined the design and produced the final working models which became the Hi Power of History and legend.
    Mr. Saive also designed the magazine, IIRC. The new Springfield SP-35s are available on Gun Broker - for significantly over MSRP. I plan to buy one, but nor for $1,200 or thereabouts.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

I'm very happy to see there is so much interest in the new SA-35. Gonna talk to the man at the fun store tomorrow about it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I would be cool if it was offered in 30 Luger also. I would be happy with just being able to get a 30 Luger barrel for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Did they call it a High Power because of the double stack magazine?
    According to Wikipedia: FN Herstal initially named the design the "High Power", which alludes to the 13-round magazine capacity, almost twice that of other designs at the time, such as the Luger or Colt M1911

Gran Prussiance is where the GP came from.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Nice to see a new gun that's not black plastic. Wood and steel as it should be.
    siamese4570

Boolit Master
    I just put 2 15-round Mec-Gar HP magazines on backorder at Midway. Availability is projected for about Thanksgiving. Perhaps I'll have the gun and its one mag by that time. One of my local pawn shops used to have a box under the counter full of HP and Beretta mags and I'm going to call and see if they still do. GF

Believe it or not, cheapo Pro Mags work great in my BHP.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast