Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P.P Lube ?

Red face P.P Lube ?

OK guys this forum is definitely not a cure for my cast boolits affection ! I tried several things before I read you all, but now I'm playing with the 7.08 Rem cartrige and I have P.P several of my boolits . Now my question is : what lube am I going to use ? I've thought of RCBS sizing lube, Lee Liquid Alox ... And what do you use for it ?
    Thanks.

All of the above! I have used everything from LLA to lard. Any bullet lube works fine. Right now I am using BAC, wipe on the patch and run through a push through die to wipe off the excess. Use a die that will leave the patched bullet as large as will fit the throat of your rifle. I normaly load in unsized cases.

Boolit Master

I wrap my castings, trim the tails, wipe on either JPW, or Turtle Wax. I then size them.
    Great so far.
    Clean bore, good accuracy, nothing sticks to the paper in storage.
    I use the Lee Push Thru Sizing System.
    Simple.

Thanks for your replies.
    I also use LEE Push Thru Sizing System for paper patched bullets but I haven't load them for instance. Good I'm gonna give a try and tell you

Smile lithum

I like to use lithum grease on the paper. Just slick it up lightly and it don't dry out to quick. I also use the lee push thru dies after apply'in the lithum.

I am using neatsfoot oil only on my .40cal PP Minies. It is great. Basically dries and it non messy. Still, being a MLer I handle the bullets more than usual.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    Most of mine get a final size through the lubrisizer and therefore are lubed normally with FWFL. If they don't get the lubrisizer treatment, they are lubed by hand with Johnson's Paste Wax.

Keith

Boolit Master
    I use the Lee Liquid Alox....simply because it's convenient and cheap. I cut mine half and half with turpentine....and brush it on the patched bullets with an old paint brush. It dries in a few hours and does the job well.

Whatever lube you choose, just remember that you do not need to (and should not) over-lube your patched bullets. A thin coat of (whatever lube) will do.

Boolit Master
    For what its worth.

And please remember this is for my BP PP Loads. I do not lube the patch at all. For my Creedmoor loads I wipe between shots. For my BP PP hunting loads I use a 3/16 Grease cookie under the bullet and have went in cold weather for 16 shots with no loss of accuracy. Hand print size at 167 yards.

More then ample to kill buff.

The lunger

Boolit Master

I use wax to size, and that is it.
    So far, so good.
    Also, it is smokeless rather than BP.
    There is still some JPW on the patch when I load from sizing. Not much, but some.
    A little goes a long way for me.

I lubed mine with Johnsons paste wax, have yet to shoot them.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    I use LLA to lube the paper, I roll the boolit in it after patching it just as I do plain cast boolits. LLA does not penetrate the paper or make it stick to the boolit.

beemer

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Wasserburger View Post
    And please remember this is for my BP PP Loads. I do not lube the patch at all. For my Creedmoor loads I wipe between shots.
    Out of curiosity, knowing that paper is abrasive (some more than others), have you used a bore scope to monitor the condition of your rifles bore useing this method. How many rounds thru the rifle and condition of bore initially and now?

I to have heard the old saw about sharpen a knife and cut a couple hundred sheets of paper and see how dull it is. OK, after you do that resharpen you knife and see how man jacketed bullets you can cut!

My knives get dull cutting steak. They are dulled by the plate underneath.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Thanks guys ! I'm gonna test and tell you

scibul
    The lube that I use to size the lead cores,is Dillon's.It is primarily lanolin.
    The lube that I use on the patch,itself is usually Lee Liquid Alox.My next popular lube is Midway Drop Out spray.
    Frank

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    Out of curiosity, knowing that paper is abrasive (some more than others), have you used a bore scope to monitor the condition of your rifles bore useing this method. How many rounds thru the rifle and condition of bore initially and now?
    Being that I am somewhat a novice at PP, and from your previous postings on some of my results, (You were much less than Impressed as I recall) I am doubtful that anything I have observed-learned at this point would be of any interest to you.

The BPCR rifles I own have a lifetime (original Owner) waranty They were personally made for me by Shiloh Rifle Company. This rifle is on its second barrel now. The Original Barrel had over 19,500 rounds down it and all but about 25 of those were GG loads.

I don't worry about bore scopes, I worry about the results at the Target. To date I am quite pleased with those results.

One final thought:

I dislike very much, trying to carry on a one sided discourse, with someone that lacks the personal pride, or stones, to post their actual Real Name, when addressing me in that mater. This is Based solely on past exchange with yourself. If you would like to tell me who you really are in a personal msg-Phone call, then I would be glad to convey all that I have learned so far to this date. That manner of contacting me would go a long way towards boistering a more civil and conginal sharing of information, If in fact your posting was an overture towards fellowship. I have the next 4 days off and in all honesty would look forward to sharing and visting.

I remain,

The Lunger
    Kenny Wasserburger
    Gillette Wyoming
    Home Phone: 307-687-0080
    Cell Phone: 307-689-4497

I am Dennis Brown. Spearville Kansas. 620-385-2588. I have been patching since the 70s and I will try to help anyone, anytime, with or without a name! If you prefer my e-mail is pdawg.shooter@gmail.com.

Yup, just another dodge. (I don't think 45 2.1 was trying to be ignorant, either)
    Last edited by leftiye; 01-16-2009 at 04:34 PM.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!