Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will your cellphone work after February 2022?

Boolit Master

Will your cellphone work after February 2022?

I was just notified by my carrier, Puretalk, that after 2/2022, all networks will be shutting off 3G networks, and going 5G. I supplied them with my phone number, and was informed my IPhone SE will not be affected. If you are running older phones, you will need to upgrade, or your phone will not work. Should be hearing from your providers shortly.

Boolit Master
    I would doubt that all will be affected that way. 5G is a long ways from being available in a large chunk of the parts of the world I have visited lately. I wonder if it's an effort to make users update phones that are no longer easily serviceable?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Y2K all over again ?

Let's see what happened on that day ...don't you remember ... nothing !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    I'd kinda like not having this electronic tracking Device or at least a signal shield.

Already got notified that my dad’s flip phone will not work. We live out in the sticks here in Central NYS and they are already switching the cell towers over to 5G.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Y2K all over again ?

Let's see what happened on that day ...don't you remember ... nothing !
    I remember Y2K. Went out for Chinese food with a woman. Took the leftovers back home. Woke up and all was good. Leftovers in the microwave. The only phones that are going to work are 4G and up. No BS, it’s coming.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, 4g is pretty ubiquitous now and they need to repurpose the spectrum away from the low-revenue luddites that are hanging on to their flip phones.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    I remember Y2K. Went out for Chinese food with a woman. Took the leftovers back home. Woke up and all was good. Leftovers in the microwave. The only phones that are going to work are 4G and up. No BS, it’s coming.
    I still have the bunker stocked with food and gold. lol

Wife is getting regular messages from our cellphone carrier to update her phone. Not sure what is going on but I'm not too worried about it.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    GONRA & Mrs. GONRA havan olde (0G ?) Flip Fone.
    Vendor assures us that it will still verk after the transition.
    We'll See!

Super Moderator

We're on Verizon, and we haven't got any notification of it (yet). I have an Iphone 10, and the wife has a 12 or 13 I think. Guess we'll see what happens.

Boolit Buddy
    I got the notice from at&t several months ago, and they sent me a free junk phone. 1st one did not work, second one was also junk, did not work. spent several hours at their store, and maybe finally working well enough for me. talking about flip phones here. its all 4g and may be 10 years before they bring the 5g to my very rural area. I don't need much, just want a phone that works when needed.
    Barry

Boolit Grand Master

To those of you not quite so tech savvy, this is a monumental hit. Not only will this effect 3g, it will also shut down a large amount of 4g phones as well. Verizon is doing this next year, and I'm sure most others will as well. There's really only a few owners of cell towers in the USA. Anything using Verizon towers will be shut down. The short list includes Tracphone, Page Plus, Straight talk, Total wireless, Xfinity, Net10. There are a ton more, and you can find that info online.

Now some of you are talking down on those using flip phones. You can get flip phones that are 4G LTE and possibly now 5G capable. On the other side, a phone that is only 3 years old might not be 4G LTE capable, and would be shut off.

Now why is this bad besides having to buy a new phone? The #1 issue with cell phones in this country is coverage. There are huge sections in rural areas that don't have coverage at all. Even if you have enough to send a text, you probably can't use mobile data. All these commercials push speed, speed, speed. Maybe this is what city people that live in a tower want, which is stupid because everyone has free wifi now. What many don't realize is the gigantic hit we are going to take in coverage. There's a bunch of differences in each generation that I do not understand, but the obvious change is the radio frequency. Each generation has used a higher frequency.

What this means to us is each generation, while faster, also looses range. The range of 3G can be up to 30 miles from a tower. 4G is about 10 miles from a tower. 5G shortband as it is being released in the USA has a stated range of 500 meters from a tower. Let that sink in for a moment. You have to be 500 meters or 547 yards under IDEAL conditions to make use of 5G network. My current phone has 5G capability, and there is a 5G tower about a mile away, I can see it plain as day. I can't even get a hint of signal from it, 4G only. They should be trying to find a way to increase the range of these towers, not shorten it.

This is pure idiotic. I sure don't want cell towers every 1000 meters across the country. Sure, it's not lazer fast, but you can reasonably stream movies, download things, do anything you really need to do on a phone with 3G mobile data. It's fast enough, and the range is fantastic. Now with my current phone, if I can't see a blinking light of a tower, I'm SOL, 4G won't reach.

Boolit Master
    Wife and I use Verison. She just got a new 5g and my old 3g flip phone was pretty beat up so I thought I would get a new flip phone. They have one with a bullet proof case with 4g so I thought I would go with that. They said my 3g would not be working much longer as they were shutting down service for the 3g so I got the phone. Tried to use it when I got home and found it won't work inside the house and barely works outside the house. Also the new phone only lasts about one day on a charge where my old 3g worked about a week on a charge. I took it back and told them it does me no good to have a phone that won't work so now I don't have a cell phone and don't miss it one bit.
    When a new item doesn't work as well as my old one, I will resist spending more money for less service. Also I've never been one of those folks that is glued to his phone.

I just had to buy my son a new phone - we switched carriers due to the divorce, and ATT told him that his older phone is only 3G and they couldn't put it on their network.

Boolit Grand Master
    I just have an old flip phone.
    Will it still work??????

Seems like a good way to force everyone to buy a new phone.
    Is that even legal?????

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I just have an old flip phone.
    Will it still work??????

Seems like a good way to force everyone to buy a new phone.
    Is that even legal?????
    Unless your phone is 4G LTE or 5G capable, no it will not work. Yes it is legal. Yes it is stupid. Unless another company starts up this late in the game with better rural coverage, it is what it is. You can buy phones dirt cheap, sometimes only $20. They will make calls and texts. As for the mobile data, I'm already looking into satellite hotspots.

Boolit Buddy
    So how is that required 'phone upgrade' proclamation going to work with the supposed 'supply chain' issue? Where do the cell phones come from?
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

I am with AT&T. About 6-8 months ago they sent me a notice that as of 2/2022 my phone would not work on the network. I went to the AT&T store near by to look at phones. All I want is a phone that can make phone calls. In the past 10 years I may have taken 5 photos with my phone. I do not text. And I have a computer at home for the internet.

Well I looked at the cheapest phone they had and almost bought it. Decided to go home and think about it for a while and low and behold about a week later I get a "LETTER" from them stating they were sending me a new phone free of charge. It was the same phone I looked at.

It works ok and holds a charge for a few days but has a lot of features I will never use.

I miss my Motorola 8000.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Most of the time my iPhone 8 says AT&T and only 1 or 2 bars of signal. If I head toward town it goes 5G.
    Guess this supports the post about the short range of 5G.

Keep in mind your cell phones should still connect to 911 because it’s by satellite regardless of signal shown on the display. Even if you have taken the service off of it. I was told the 911 operator will see the name of the last registered owner of it.
    If anyone thinks this has changed please correct this statement.

Mike

Wife and I upgraded some 4 months back to 4g phones. We run consumer cellular, been very happy with them.
    So we are ready.

We went with the Moto G Stylus at 190# ea. But they do have a great camera.

By forcing everyone to 4 or 5g they flush out all the old flip phone users, the pay as you go track phones, etc.

You either join the rush and start contributing real $$$ to their pockets or go without. They don't care.

I personally won't ever go 5g, heard too many horror stories about that stuff.

Would love to see an open source community figure out a way to step up and setup an open source 3g network.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast