WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Yard sale score

Yard sale score

Our LGS (Renaissance Arms, Barrington, NH) held its yard sale on Friday.
    Tons of crap that someone, somewhere I am sure could use.
    I was poking through all the junk and came across TWO full boxes of Remington and Winchester 86 gr SP 25-20 rounds in the original boxes.
    $10 out the door.
    SCORE!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    You sure hit the jackpot there. I’m sure you can put those to good use. If not,
    A member over on the high road is looking for factory 25/20, guess he’s not a reloader and would probably pay dearly for those since he just got a rifle out of lay away.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by myg30 View Post
    You sure hit the jackpot there. I’m sure you can put those to good use. If not,
    A member over on the high road is looking for factory 25/20, guess he’s not a reloader and would probably pay dearly for those since he just got a rifle out of lay away.
    Mike
    I feel for him, but how am I going to feed my own 2 25/20's?
    Savage Sporter and Win 92?
    I DO cast and reload for these, however.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

After you shoot those, send me the brass, and I'll give ya your ten bucks back. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    That's a heck of a good score!! Well done!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I just love yard sales ...
    A while back I bought a Lyman All-American Turret press with a set of 38/357 mag and a set of 30-06 Lyman A-A Dies complete with shell holders and Lyman primer pocket tools, bucket of brass a few thousand primers and a few boxes of those sweet .357" Speer half-jacket bullets all for $75.00 ...
    I bought everything except one item on the table ... a measure
    As we are walking to the car the Lady holding the sale runs up and hands me the Lyman 55 Powder Measure ... I told her I had one and hadn't paid for the measure ... She say's ..."No you take it ...what the heck am I going to do with that silly thing !" ... Free Lyman 55 and I did find plenty use for it ... I Love Yard Sales !!!

Score and Extra Points
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

WARNING Thread Drift, but still a yard sale score.

For some time, I've been on the lookout for a replacement engine for my tiller.
    Saturday, I had some time to kill and drove around looking for some garage sales, I stumbled on a few and one of them had a bunch of lawn and garden equipment spread all over the yard. There was a Honda pressure sprayer that looked to have seen better days. Nothing was marked at this sale, so I asked about it. He said the engine did run fine, but pump was shot. He didn't plan on selling it, he planned on fixing it. I asked how much? He said $50. He tried to get it started, never fired while he was pulling and spraying starting fluid in carb and directly into cylinder. He said it's probably the points. I thought to myself, there ain't no stinking points in that newer looking 6.5hp GX200 engine. I offer him $20 as he couldn't get it started. He said how about $25 and if I didn't want the Pump, He'd give me $5 back if I remove the pump and bring it back to him.
    DONE DEAL !

I get it home and unplug the wire going to the ON - OFF switch and it fires right up. I shut it down right away, cuz the oil looked real dark. Then I drained the gas, added fresh gas and then changed oil (twice). Rans like NEW, it didn't even need the carb cleaned.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I feel for him, but how am I going to feed my own 2 25/20's?
    Good score, and yeah,,,,, grab & scratch for all of 'em you can get.
    It's every man for himself on those!
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Good score, and yeah,,,,, grab & scratch for all of 'em you can get.
    It's every man for himself on those!
    I bought 300 25-20 here formed from 32-20 from a gentleman that recently passed.
    Plenty of brass but hey - how can you pass?

Nothing like a good yard/garage sale. Congratulations !!

Boolit Buddy
    Yard sales, flea markets and junk yards = treasure hunting! I have found so my useful things to use in the loading room and/or garage at these places. Always worth a look see!

Isaac
    Last edited by Isaac; 10-28-2021 at 09:56 AM.

Around here we have a sportsman's flea market four times a year, run by a Mennonite fellow. He rents tables like a gun show, but it's just guys selling stuff they no longer want or need, no dealers. The bargains I've gotten there!..and a few projects too for better or worse.

Boolit Master

Not many gems up in my current area, but when I lived in Iowa, the estate sales and auctions were amazing. I bought antiques at incredibly low prices. Bought a Duncan Phyfe dining room set with claw feet legs and 8 matching chairs in perfect condition for $55.

When I moved to Arizona, I found the yard sales to be incredible treasure hunts. Go to the rich neighborhoods and they sell stuff for nothing.

My ex-wife went to one yard sale and found 30 sets of brand new Fiestaware dinner sets. $50. Each set was worth around $100. When we divorced, she listed them at the top of list of things she got, lol.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Best treasure I got at a yard sale was a 120Lb. anvil with, ''U.S.N. 1896'' cast on it for $35.00!

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    My ex-wife went to one yard sale and found 30 sets of brand new Fiestaware dinner sets. $50. Each set was worth around $100. .
    Middle age women will kill for that stuff.

Mrs. Winger has a couple of sets of it, and awhile back I broke a plate.
    Whew! I thought she was going to shoot me in my sleep over that.

EVERYONE!

Most of the garage sales around here have not yielded the sort of treasures you guys speak of. I find an odd piece of pewter that isn't prices as solid silver if not gold. Some rolls of solder here and there. Plus the assorted item I hope to get to shop or shed without it being noticed by better half.

Have only gone to a few estate sales, about the same. Did have a friend find in a local sale a 44 mag Handi rifle for around $150 but that guy has the luck that would let him fall into an outhouse pit and come out with a valuable diamond ring with a big reward stuck to him.

Maybe when I retire I'll do estate and garage sales instead of gun shows. I'm down $7 and maybe parking just to walk in the door of a show. That would cover 50 miles of driving around to sales.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Maybe when I retire I'll do estate and garage sales instead of gun shows.
    I've only seen a handful of stuff at DFW gun shows here that wasn't at least 'full retail plus 30%', or it was just trash.
    Garage sales aren't much better. Here, if there is any bargains to be had, it'll be at Estate sales.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master

My best gun related yard sale find was two rolls of solder. One was nice electronic Multi-Core and the other was a one pound roll of Brownells High Force 44 that sells for over $100. Set me back a buck each.

Best kitchen related score was an espresso machine for $10 and matching bean grinder for $5. Retail on the espresso machine was $800 and the grinder was $150. No, I wouldn’t pay that kind of money for them either.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris