WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: 30-30 V 38-55 on game

30-30 V 38-55 on game

Can any of you good Folks out there do some comparision with the 30-30 and the 38-55 say for now?
    with on game performance from .30 jacketed 170gr fn ? and the 38-55 with a 250gr Cast boolit...........

How would the on field performance vary?

Im possibly getting a hold of a model 94 30-30 to use in the short future, Ive got a wack of 150gr FN and maybe some 170gr FN aswell, ideally i would like to try both of these out on the same species of Deer an get some first hand experience.
    i dont think i would use cast in this for now--- most likely Peep sighted an use for 100 meters bush hunting.

I rock the 375 WCF but treat it as the 38-55 +p , as its quite downloaded... an just straight up works.

Theres something inside of me that wants to tote a Model 94 30WCF for these big Sambar deer....... its been done but its not common, apparently you need a 338 magnum to Grass them..... dont tell em i use a 7mm-08 normally though....

Anywho, whats some comparrisons and factors with the 30-30 V 38-55 ?

or is it a much of a muchness with anything from the 30-30 , 32, 44mag, 38/55, 44-40, 444, 375 win , 358, 307 348 ETC are they all doin very similiar with a FN cast boolit on game regardless of their weight ?

its a bit of a grass is greener outlook, i do love my model 94, but something else, of lesser potentcy would be kewl!

Boolit Master
    I don't know if I would call it less potent, Since you are hand loading up or down in pressure & performance it is up to you. You speak of 150 & 170 jacketed rounds, if loaded to max potential the .30-30 is nobody's slouch within a reasonable range. You are already pretty familiar with a 38-55 using a down loaded 375 Win. So a .30-30 is a down loaded 300 Savage, 308 or 30-40 Kraig. Both make good size critters dead even black bear or other mid-heavy animals.

Quote Originally Posted by versa-06 View Post
    I don't know if I would call it less potent, Since you are hand loading up or down in pressure & performance it is up to you. You speak of 150 & 170 jacketed rounds, if loaded to max potential the .30-30 is nobody's slouch within a reasonable range. You are already pretty familiar with a 38-55 using a down loaded 375 Win. So a .30-30 is a down loaded 300 Savage, 308 or 30-40 Kraig. Both make good size critters dead even black bear or other mid-heavy animals.
    Thatsa good way to explain it, an one i can vision (i use a 30-06 often now days too) but am familiar with a 308 aswell...... that does plenty an at times is too much for most of the deer, sounds like the place to be 150-170 an closer to 2000 than 3000.....

less potent perhaps ment to read, less kafknboom overall :P
    i do 'love' the way the 38/55 +p feels to shoot now days, no jumping muzzle or sharp kicks like the hot rod loads.

il have to organise this 30-30 for myself... ive heard cast is not the ideal tool for the 30 cal, more a large bore thing.

Hit'em in the boiler room with either = dead.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sambar deer can vary from 200-800 lbs depending on the species. I did not think they were in Australia but I may have old antiquated data.

I like "enough gun", so on the smaller species I would not care if it was .30/30 or .38/55. If you are dealing with deer over 500 lbs at less than 100m the .38/55 loaded to .375 Win would be a better choice IMO.

Anyway, here is an article to consider....but most people here will advise the .38/55 using cast bullets will be a better choice...YMMV.

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Kno...inchester.html
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I think it is personal which is better. I shot a lot of black powder and either one shoots with more than enough kafnboom but I use cast bullets. I use Marlins and a High Wall. The two lever guns loaded with a full case of Swiss 1 1/2 has killed deer, beef cows, hogs, and black bear. As long as you do your part and put the bullet where it needs to be either one kills. On Russian Boars I like the High Wall as I can use a 336 gr bullet, but you have to place the bullet as they are mean and tough. I fell the lever .38-55 has better penetration but have pass through with both levers. The Red deer I have seen look closer to the elk here in the states than white tail deer. I think I would use the heavier bullet even at a slower speed. The elk hunters I have talked to seem to think the .38-55 is the smallest they would go with, but then some think a .50 BMG isn't big enough.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Sambar deer can vary from 200-800 lbs depending on the species. I did not think they were in Australia but I may have old antiquated data.

I like "enough gun", so on the smaller species I would not care if it was .30/30 or .38/55. If you are dealing with deer over 500 lbs at less than 100m the .38/55 loaded to .375 Win would be a better choice IMO.

Anyway, here is an article to consider....but most people here will advise the .38/55 using cast bullets will be a better choice...YMMV.
    Yeah mate they sure Can, ive taken more than my fair share of large animals, large antlered models and plenthora of meat animals

the yare too switched on to bow hunt without sit and waiting, moving around they are always on to you but the challenge is within the traditional lever gun hunting, no modern glass or big long range rifle cals

some ive taken with the 375win over the years. Fallow and Sambar are my main targets.

I mostly take the first animal that oppertunity allows, this is often Hinds , or Spikes, im yet to harvest a Trophy animal withthe 375, im holding out for a good one ....but take meatys quite often.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Having shot deer ( no Sambar ) with everything from a 22-250 up to a 45-70 I got to say, if hit in the correct spot , they can't tell the difference. A properly constructed bullet and correct shot placement are what's needed . Either cartridge works great with lead or jacketed . I shoot both as well as the .32 Special and can't notice one kills any better than the other, never lost a deer with any of the three.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

I've been doing a great deal of experimenting with my 30-30 and if you follow the manuals and are not using Hornady's bullet with Leverlution you can match speed for speed cast vs jacketed in the 170g bullet range. That is if you had a hankering to get a critter with cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Having shot deer ( no Sambar ) with everything from a 22-250 up to a 45-70 I got to say, if hit in the correct spot , they can't tell the difference. A properly constructed bullet and correct shot placement are what's needed . Either cartridge works great with lead or jacketed . I shoot both as well as the .32 Special and can't notice one kills any better than the other, never lost a deer with any of the three.
    hey nice to hear from users of other lever gun cals, an nice to hear your feedback on it!
    thanks for the reply.

What sorta distances you takin deer with an whats your poa ?

Boolit Master

Woods hunting around here mostly, 25 yds to 100 yds . Not sure what your asking about poa . If asking how I sight in , I set my sights to be 2.5 inches high at 100 yds to allow a dead on hold if I do get a somewhat longer shot .

Boolit Master
    Many shooters are well pleased using a .30 cal rifle for deer & black bear here. If you use cast try to use an alloy that will give a little expansion & use loads that will give you about 1350 fps or more at impact so the bullet will expand. I like the Win. 94 because of the 1:12 twist rate, makes a little extra velocity possible with softer cast loads. I usually hunt with 35 cal & up, but that .30-30 like I said is nobody's slouch. It will get the job done with good boolit placement. It does for many of us. Get one & try it, You might be impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Woods hunting around here mostly, 25 yds to 100 yds . Not sure what your asking about poa . If asking how I sight in , I set my sights to be 2.5 inches high at 100 yds to allow a dead on hold if I do get a somewhat longer shot .
    i refer to where on the Deer you mostly aim, some like to do the shoulders, some like the double lung.

i understand with alot of the front bead sights that some take up large portion of animals out at 100 or sometimes beyond, i filed mine down to make it a bit more pin point.

thanks
    Model 94 XTR .375win (38-55+p) - Australian Sambar Deer Hunter.

Boolit Master

Prefer heart or double lung but I take the occasional neck shot and on a doe a head shot will do .

Boolit Master
    Both have done yeoman's work on game for well over 120 years. There are no degrees of dead. On a different note, I have downloaded my 338 WM to cast lead velocities to approximate the 38-55 and it is a joy to shoot plus accurate to well over 600 yards when my old eyes cooperate.

Boolit Master
    Around my part of Indiana 100 meters is a very long shot. Too many trees but I sight on at a 100 meters but also set sight markings out to 200 meters for fun. I would never shot at anything other than coyotes past the 100 meters. Now paper targets I push out to 400 meters, with light bullets it gets interesting. Can't see the 1000 meter target with my old eyes but was fun at one time with the High Wall.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot a 38-55 with hard cast 255grn bullet at 1600fps. My GF shoots a 30-30 with 150grn Hornady RN at 2400fps. I would really struggle to tell you a difference in results. On paper she's flatter at range, but neither are flat shooting long range guns. Both penetrate well, leave good blood trails, are accurate enough. I can't say there's enough difference between them to matter.

Boolit Buddy
    I have shot white tail deer with cast in 30-30, 35 remington, 35 Whelen, 44 mag, hot loaded 45 colt and 45-70. The 45-70 has been used out to 600 yards on deer. Can't tell much differance between any of them.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by veeman View Post
    hit'em in the boiler room with either = dead.
    this is the correct answer!!!
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

thanks fro the replies. good infos
    Model 94 XTR .375win (38-55+p) - Australian Sambar Deer Hunter.