Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Lee molds question

Lee molds question

I just ordered a mold from Lee for my Henry 44 and I see Lee uses a 95 percent lead to 5 percent tin. I want to recast some hard cast bullets I have that are to small diameter. What diameter do you think they will come out of the mold? Smaller or larger?. Thanks
    keep on rolling along.no matter what happens just keep rolling

Boolit Buddy
    I believe the convention is that harder alloys tend to cast in a larger diameter and will be lighter in weight. Try it and see.

I don't know if this will help but, the 44 molds I have, using range scrap lead testing around 18bhn, will drop large enough to take some sizing to .430.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Not entirely related, but some Henry 44’s use microgroove rifling. If yours falls in that category, you may need a custom mould at 0.431” or 0.432”.

Boolit Master

remember.. the softer the alloy.. and the larger the diameter.. the more shrinkage you get.

you are using 20:1 you could always sweeten with something with some antimony.. like a piece of linotype into the melt and get a hair harder.. thus less shrinkage. even clip on and get antimony and arsenic.. and get harder and able to be hardened and heat treated.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    Not entirely related, but some Henry 44’s use microgroove rifling. If yours falls in that category, you may need a custom mould at 0.431” or 0.432”.
    Easy to tell ... Catkiller45 , what cha' got in that Henry barrel , cut rifling or "Microgroove" ?

And the one thing about Lee moulds is you don't really know what they going to drop .
    I seem to have better luck with the two cavity moulds casting a little larger boolit ...which is good .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

If you run Lyman #2... They drop pretty much on target as marked..as many molds do

Add antimony for larger & harder as cast. Adding some Linotype from Rotometels works for me.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    To really know, you need to cast some with your alloy and measure them. Lee molds don’t always cast the size they are supposed to.

From Lee
    Our bullet mold tolerance is stated diameter, +.003/-.000 inch. We gauge our bullet molds with a "go/nogo" gauge, which tends to result in bullet molds that run on the high side of the tolerance. You could probably use one of our standard molds at as-cast diameter with good results.