Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: P80 build ended in shame...

Boolit Master

P80 build ended in shame...

I bought a P80 kit a few months ago. Not out of a desire to skirt the laws, or to have an untraceable firearm, but to build a compact-sized firearm in .40 S&W that was completely custom and tailored to my tastes.

I started with the P80 PF940C in Olive Drab for $90. I then tried to order all of the Glock OEM parts to complete it. Unfortunately, I discovered that Glock was using all of their spare parts to build complete firearms, so no OEM parts were available online.

But, I was able to find an OEM Glock G23 barrel. It was a threaded suppressor barrel. $155. Ordered it.

Then I discovered that building a .40 S&W Glock clone was even more challenging. No G23 slides available. I had to custom order a G23 slide from NORSSO.

After a couple of months, all of the parts arrived and were assembled. No issues found and the pistol seemed like it would be a solid and reliable choice.

Attachment 290829

Then I headed to the range and discovered that there is more to a custom pistol than simply putting together all of the parts that "should" work together.

I discovered that the non-OEM parts didn't like the OEM parts. Then the P80 frame decided to crack and fail near the slide lock.

Final result was that the pistol had several failures, then went full auto, as noted in this video...

"Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    One of the guys I followed had a similar problem with his 3d printed glock 43. He had to mess with the frame and trigger and redesign the print

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The Polymer 80 does come with a steep learning curve and yes, ideally oem parts are the way to go however, non-oem parts can work.

Not enough sear engagement can cause full auto, you must have at least 75% sear engagement. A Glock armorer's backplate is needed to establish proper sear engagement.

The cracked frame can be caused by a combination of the front locking block rails not being level to the frame, both the front and rear rails not being level to each other and your trigger housing not being level with frame. Also, if your pin holes are not drilled straight and aligned properly, over hammering the pins through the holes can inadvertently crack the frame.

I have seen the Polymer 80 front locking block rails bowed/crooked that come with the frame that could possibly cause a cracked frame when attempting to install. You might reach out to Polymer 80 and see if your issues would be under warranty. They will require pictures and proof of purchase. If covered under warranty, Polymer 80 will have you cut the bad frame in half and have you provide pictures showing you cut the frame then send out a replacement frame.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - "Thomas Jefferson"

My P-80, (G-17) had a few birthing pains, but all were related to finding good, affordable upper parts. I cut my frame and drilled the holes on a mill, installed a Glock lower kit from Brownells and kept looking for reasonable priced upper parts kits. The only thing available at the time was Swenson junk from Midway, and I know better than to buy anything made by them again. Over a year past doing the lower, I found a complete RIA upper on flea-bay and bought it, had the pistol together in about 32 seconds and it works great.

Boolit Master

The good news is that I can use most of the parts on my other Glocks, so am only out about $100. Ordered a part that allows the use of the custom slide on my Gen 4 G23.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If P80 would make a kit that duplicates the gen. 2 frame I would buy one. I don't like any of the DIY frames currently available, they all have an ugly trigger guard shape and picatinny rail.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    I kick myself for not buying a couple of G22's when the LEO's switched from the "monster" .40 to the 9mm.

IIRC they were in the $330-350 range.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

My experiences usually end with similar results . I always wanted to be a "Gunsmith" and would tear down and try to "improve" every gun I could get my hands on ... I must have two dozen "Gunsmithing" books ... I just don't have the talent and self-taught sucks rocks . I live near Clark Custom Guns and have had them do work for me ... My trigger job is a Farce compared to the magic they work.
    Those boys were taught by the one of the best ...Jim Clark and they have the talent and the tools to do it properly .
    Don't feel bad ... Great Gunsmithing ...heck just half-way decent gunsmithing ... is a lot harder than it looks ...the boys at Clark Custom said they been working in the shop their whole lives ... their father and grandfather taught them well and held them to the highest standards . And , most importantly , they had all the right tools ...hand tools and machine tools to do a proper job .
    Learn from this build and if you still have the desire and drive ... Keep on Smithing , it's how you learn .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Next time, don't get a frame with the 'Tupperware' logo on it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I kick myself for not buying a couple of G22's when the LEO's switched from the "monster" .40 to the 9mm.

IIRC they were in the $330-350 range.
    I snagged an unissued Kentucky State Police G35 for $400. I get a craving for fried chicken whenever I shoot it (which isn’t often since I’m a revolver guy with coronary stents.)

So far as military/police guns go, I think the polymer 9s are here to stay and we’ve seen the last mass migration that resulted in lots of inexpensive ex-LEO guns.

I am glad you posted your experience. I am sufficiently unskilled that I would undoubtedly make a worse mess of it than you.
    Your experience convinces me that my fears about doing a poor job are well founded. Too many variables and not enough experience for me to try this type of project.
    A machinist, I am NOT.