Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: recovered saltwater fishing weights

Boolit Master

recovered saltwater fishing weights

My brother in-law snagged me 97 pounds of lead fishing weights some recreational diver had collected over the years. Many had been under water so long that the brass eyes had corroded away. I netted 92-93 pounds after melting n fluxing. There was a lot of trash n crud and the three fluxes probably wasn't quite enough. I imagine they would be about equal to outdoor range lead in regards to dirt, trash and oxidation. Initial pencil hardness makes them about equal to SOWW at 10bhn. They will serve me just fine for 50/50 with COWW and will get fluxed a bit more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3603.jpg   IMG_3602.jpg  
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Good going!

I've found that running the heat up, and letting them 'soak' awhile makes the fluxing easier and take less effort.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Well dang, I thought excessive heat accelerated the migration of tin and antimony to the surface. As a consequence I have been trying to keep my fluxing temps below 700 degrees so that I wouldn't end up spooning off the good stuff.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    Well dang, I thought excessive heat accelerated the migration of tin and antimony to the surface. As a consequence I have been trying to keep my fluxing temps below 700 degrees so that I wouldn't end up spooning off the good stuff.
    Well yer gonna mix it right back in with COWW right? There's just something magical about 50/50+2%
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Last I checked price of sinkers is 4 X what it was in 2018. Those bank sinkers with the molded eye are $1 each in 4 ounce size. Pyramid ones too, if the wire eye weren’t rotted off. I cast my own. Ain’t like boolits, if they’re a little crinkled who cares.

Well dang, I thought excessive heat accelerated the migration of tin and antimony to the surface.

Before and as you skim off the trash,,,,, stir the pot like it owes you money.
    That'll keep it from stratifying, and mix it all back in.

Do that when pouring ingots too.
    And every few minutes while casting.

Also, with that more or less pure Lead, there isn't much to separate anyway.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    It does and the oxides form more quickly but the flux reduces them back into the pot. Stir/flux, then skim. And if it really worries you just stir and flux, don't skim if you don't have to.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    From the LASC site.

[2] It is a common misconception that because they are less dense than lead, antimony and tin may undergo gravity separation from the melt. Nothing could be further from the truth. In the absence of oxygen or oxidizing materials, melted lead alloys will remain stable and mixed virtually forever. And from Lyman, [3]Perhaps the single most significant error in all the bullet casting literature is the misconception that lead-tin-antimony alloy melts gravity segregate.

Some of these old tales just never die.

Banned

Cool!

Boolit Grand Master

Nice Score on those weights. I probably would have done the same thing you did and melt them all together.

Boolit Mold
    We get lots of larger fishing weights here at garage sales and such. Some I melt down and some I keep for future fishing use myself. I cast the sizes I regularly use but it is nice to get some of the different sizes without having to buy another fishing weight mold.

When I melt the crummy ones or damaged one I mix them altogether like you did. Typically pretty soft/pure lead. However I do have one batch of weights that I got where the guy cast them from linotype, so I won’t be using those for fishing! I actually did that myself once, had a lino pig, quit reloading for about 15 yrs and did more fishing, ended up using it for weights....then got back into reloading and casting again and wished I hadn’t done that. Oh well, I can tell which are which, and I have lots of lino anyhow...

I have often passed on these because I can't tell what alloy they are. Sounds like I may have made a mistake. I did have some 4 oz. egg sinkers I gave to someone who trains and competes with bird dogs. She and her husband tie a line with the weight to their "training" birds so the birds can't fly away but can flush and get out of dogs reach. Was most happy to get them.

Wondering how much hassle is it to cast fishing weights? Thought about those or "tin" solders as a way to use up some lead free alloy I have knocking around. Would need to find the molds but thought it might be worthwhile if it wasn't a major headache.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Casting fishing weights is easy.
    Easier than casting bullets because a few wrinkles are of no consequence.
    I have plenty of known lead alloys for casting bullets so if I am given fishing weights that i cannot use I melt them down and cast them into weights I can use.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    From the LASC site.

[2] It is a common misconception that because they are less dense than lead, antimony and tin may undergo gravity separation from the melt. Nothing could be further from the truth. In the absence of oxygen or oxidizing materials, melted lead alloys will remain stable and mixed virtually forever. And from Lyman, [3]Perhaps the single most significant error in all the bullet casting literature is the misconception that lead-tin-antimony alloy melts gravity segregate.

Some of these old tales just never die.
    I got into trouble on here years ago for saying what you said. I looked up tin lead separation and I got a Chemist response and he wrote, you show me a way to separate tin and lead and we can make a lot of money. Thank you.