Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Oak boards. Worth the effort?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I have been offered what amounts to several thousand board feet of oak boards. These are top frames that are used to ship glass jars, bottles etc. They are about 3ft x 4ft square frames of 3-4in wide kiln dried oak since they are for food grade glass. You stack the glass on pallets, put the frames on top and band them then shrink wrap for shipping to keep the glass stable

The boards are 3/4 -1in thick and are about 75/35 white to red oak. The problem is that they have been sitting in a warehouse long enough that they at gray. I took a powered hand planer to a few and they look good under The stuff. To do all I would really need to cut the corners apart then buy a powered bench planer and I would have probably 3/4 inch oak boards random 2 1/2ft or 3 1/2ft when done, the bad pieces used for firewood in our outdoor firepit

Think the $350 for the planer would be worth it? Could use them for counters, flooring, random width walls etc
    YES!!! IF you have a place to store the wood, anyway. Go price a 2x4 right now. Whitewood, nothing special.

Boolit Master

A lot of crafters like the naturally grey look for picture frames and the like. Just the time to take them apart and advertising that you have them. Just a thought to get rid of some of the extra that you do not need.

gmsharps

If mitered joints, I would just cut at start of miter, burn the small square left, picking the staples or screws out of the ashes. I actually look around and see if you could find a used Jet or other brand abrasive belt sander, Drum over a moving table. They may be more than $400, but I've seen them that cheap. 80 grit paper, ( not as coarse as you think on this machine) would remove a few thousandths on each of the flat sides, the short sides you would remove when you machine to whatever width you need. Planer will work, but will remove more wood.
    But get the wood if you can store dry. indoors. It most probably was kiln dried as it touched corrugated and would have stained the glass.
    30 inch pieces are plenty long enough for a lot of things

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Lowes is selling unfinished oak lumber for over $20 BF.
    I would take it.

Boolit Grand Master

And, for what it's worth, that grey is the natural oxidation color of the oak. It is stable and won't penetrate far.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned
    Jon, grab it, all of it. And the next time your truck is heading anywhere close to Minny-Sota bring the white oak along. I'll be your best buddy forever.

Ken

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Jon, grab it, all of it. And the next time your truck is heading anywhere close to Minny-Sota bring the white oak along. I'll be your best buddy forever.

Ken
    LOL, thanks Ken. If there isn't most of a 48ft flatbed of oak boards I'll be surprised. The frames are not nailed. No nails on something that goes on top of food grade containers. The corners are joined with AS-20 truss plates. Each frame has 8, 2 for each corner. I cut a bunch off and burned them in the firepit to get the oak out so now I have a giant pile of good truss plates to go along with the oak boards.

I should have known that this bunch of enablers would tell me to buy a planer and get to work. Now, to sneak it past the wife.....
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Whether you run it through your planer or a rented one, borrow a metal detector and check for unseen staples, nails, etc. My experience is when you get into a project like this you always miss at least one nail, which is all it would take to damage a planer blade.

Boolit Grand Master

Glad to be of help JonP, But it will be nice to have a stash of hardwood to work with.

Boolit Grand Master

It most probably was kiln dried

Handloader109, all of the wood is stamped 'kiln dried" per specs for import/export

Boolit Master

FWIW- a light pass with a pressure washer will get rid of the oxidation look . Have done so with old wood lawn chairs and refinished .

Boolit Master

Investing in a wood planer is not a bad idea. There are many uses for a planer in a workshop. My dad at one time had 4 in his woodworking shop. The one he used the most was a Dewalt. He had a large floor model 12-15" 220 volt for the large stuff. Most wood working projects do not require 3/4" material. You can always buy the longer boards when needed but you can make lots of things out of 2-3ft stuff.

Boolit Master

You could glue up raised panels and cover a entire wall or something.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Just be careful of nails and other hidden pieces of steel.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Just be careful of nails and other hidden pieces of steel.
    No Worries The blade will find the ones you miss. I still recommend the spiral and helical cutter heads.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

No nails in this stuff, here is a picture of two pieces I used a hand plane and belt sander on. Red on the left, White on the right

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oak.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	290899

Moderator Emeritus

I would love to have a pile of that for small projects!

Banned
    Jon, Mary lives just down the road from me, throw a few more boards on that truck.

Moderator Emeritus

I love red oak, my kitchen is all red oak, bathroom vanity is red oak, my computer/radio desk is red oak... and I need to build a custom mirror/shelf unit for the bathroom above the vanity, none of the commercial ones fit the space well.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I love red oak, my kitchen is all red oak, bathroom vanity is red oak, my computer/radio desk is red oak... and I need to build a custom mirror/shelf unit for the bathroom above the vanity, none of the commercial ones fit the space well.
    Dang, MaryB. If you were closer I'd pick all the red oak out and give it to you. Our house is old and needs custom stuff so I'm going to use some to build shelves to fit and maybe a countertop for the kitchen remodel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast