Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spotting scope for long-range work.

Quote Originally Posted by shutinlead View Post
    Vall,
    I gave in and picked one of them up at the C-Springs show, took it out and tried it a week or so ago. My problem that time was the wind was howling fairly well. It's quite a sail! Gave it a good try but in the end I had to go back to the Leica on a Leofoto tripod. I'm hoping to use it soon, it did get some attention though and the glass is good for the vintage. Have fun with it.
    Greg
    I have had a short table top stand I got from Craig many years ago. He's tried to talk me into selling back to him the small tripod almost since he first sold it to me! He said that size tripod is far more scarce than the scopes that fit it.
    I haven't found much use for the tripod as the scope is so long I can't set the tripod on my shooting bench, and not end up with the eyepiece too far behind me to look through. So the tall tripod is much easier to use at the range, but small tripod gets used for display purposes.

Boolit Bub
    Wow, that is seriously cool. Did you also get a good vintage case? If not, it's seriously in need of a mahogany, velvet-lined case with brass hardware. And a valet to carry everything for you.

Boolit Master
    Nice find.

I always thought an old surveyor's tripod would make a good base for a spotting scope. Once could find a nice telescope and make an adaptor to fit the mount. Or maybe even 'jam' it into an old transit mount.

Quote Originally Posted by tnlonghunter View Post
    Wow, that is seriously cool. Did you also get a good vintage case? If not, it's seriously in need of a mahogany, velvet-lined case with brass hardware. And a valet to carry everything for you.
    I have a newer padded zippered case I keep it in for travel. But I could use my Kowa spotting scope case too as it's a really nice hard case, with a leather or leather like covering. I'd just move my Kowa to the zipper case and use it if I want a classy case.
    The tripod legs came with a white canvas slip on case they slide into, which looks pretty period. Not sure if they used cases then, or had a carry strap that the legs could be strapped to for shoulder carry?

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Nice find.

I always thought an old surveyor's tripod would make a good base for a spotting scope. Once could find a nice telescope and make an adaptor to fit the mount. Or maybe even 'jam' it into an old transit mount.
    I suppose they could if you can find a set old enough? Most I've seen are far heavier than scope tripods, and would work great, but be extremely heavy. And of course their base for the transit are a big flat affair that would require a machined adapter made to fit a scope.

Boolit Master
    Yep, they are heavy. Out here where the wind blows a lot the extra weight is welcome. I've only used them for cameras. Made an adapter from a transit that had a busted scope.

Boolit Master
    I have a base from an old lamp. About 3/4" thick and 6" in diameter. Brass plated with a channel on the underside for the electric cord. Soon as I get the time will make up a center piece out of brass and solder it into the brass pipe that the wires run through. Buddy of mine bought a surveyors tripod and made up the adaptor for 1/4"x20 threads for spotting scope use. All brass hardware and what looks like oak for the legs. Definitely a one of a kind tripod. Bought it from a pawn shop. A cheap stand can be made from a 4" c clamp with holes drilled for a piece of brass pipe and a stud made from a brass 1/4"x20 screw. The one I made would clamp to our clubs concrete bench top. Get the clamp from Harbor Freight about as cheap as you can find. Frank

Although all modern scopes use the standard 1/4" mounting holes, the old scopes all used a band clamp around the scope body. If you're just going for a stable, good heavy tripod for a modern scope, a transit tripod is an excellent choice. But if you have an old scope you'll need to get brass flat bar and shape up a clamp type banded mount to make it appear period.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12