Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ladle molds?

Ladle molds?

In my research I've seen the term "this mold really requires using a ladle" (in one form or another) quite a bit.

I've been casting for over twenty years and except for the pure lead round balls I cast for my black powder revolver I use an electric pot.

Can I get some of you folks to weigh in with your experience?

How do you quantify the "need" for ladle casting?

Thanks
    If your mind goes blank don't forget to turn off the sound!

Boolit Master
    Maybe pressure pouring is easier from a ladle? With a deep bottom pour pot, there might be several times more pressure from the column of lead over the spout than from the little bowl of a pouring ladle. I don't know if closing the valve more could compensate for that.

Sorry, I've only ever used a bottom pour; so just speculation on my part. Hopefully someone with first hand experience will reply.

Well that's a good point I didn't think about. I can imagine that the "softer" pour of a ladle would make a difference on some molds.

I'm wondering how much alloy composition has a part in this discussion?

Boolit Master
    I ladle cast only one bullet. I have a old lyman/ideal 225438 that will not cast a bullet unless ladled.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master
    This may not be related to the OP's statement, but I have a 7 cavity gang mold that will not fit between the base and nozzle of a bottom pour pot. Due to weight and size, the ladle seems to be the only practical method of filling the cavities.

I ladle cast rifle bullets, i habe a 8 mm 225 lee that will not case good bullets from a bottom pour. I finally tried using a ladle and they come out every time once the mould reaches temp. I then try the bottom pour and they look like broomhildas face. Wrinkle like you won't believe. I think it is because the ladle pours faster in a larger stream so filling is better. May be the reason they are called ladle mounds.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master

I cast long heavy or caliber bullets and get the best results from a modified rcbs ladle.A lit less weight variations and sharper corners and bases. Shorter wise pistol bullets do fine with the bottom pour.

I believe the faster flow from the ladle into the mould is the big help.

Perhaps the answer, what Country Gent and Minerat are saying, long heavy boolits like ladling.

I've yet to cast any rifle boolit except for 45/70 and perhaps thinking about it now I might have ladled those...

How about .22 caliber boolits?

Boolit Master
    Lee 10# pot stopped plumb up a couple of years ago; so I ladle cast everything. Reckon I am a cheap hill billy, but it works fine that way.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master
    I cast both ways depending on what the mold wants or needs to produce decent boolits.

I will admit that I enjoy ladle casting more, but if I am trying to make a few thousand boolits for close range plinking, bottom pouring can be faster.

Its all in how you get a well filled mold. If a bottom pour pot does it with few rejects, that is fine. If you are getting ten to twenty percent rejects, try something else.

Most of my molds will work okay with either method, but I do have one that I had to use a bottom pour on a SC Ideal 313445. I have since gotten another mold for use in those guns, so I don't use the little single cavity all that much.

Conversely, I have a Lee 38 WC 75 or 80 grain I don't remember, that only does well with a ladle.

Robert

Boolit Master

I fer sure ain't no expert, but this thread I started where I was having difficulties casting 30 cal bullets may answer the OP's question in post #26. Mind boggling to me, but it is what it is. At least for now.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...its-HELP/page2
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Well the sentiment running through my little coconut is that I have some experimenting to do this winter.

I have a lot of casting I need to do, handgun and getting started on rifle.

Boolit Master
    My 314299 will not work with a bottom pour pot. Drilled and tapped the spout years back and only do ladle pouring. Did open up the spout of the ladle to pour faster and that helped. Frank

Boolit Master

I started out ladle casting back in 1962. I still do it for some old 1cav molds, just enjoy the slow pace. And I do ladle cast a 1cav mold to get "test" bullets when mixing alloy.
    And I've always cast pure lead with a ladle for BP balls & Minies/Maxi's, 1 or 2 cav molds.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

https://www.rotometals.com/casting-l...handle-length/

Try a Rowell 1 lb ladle and you may never go back to bottom-pouring.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    https://www.rotometals.com/casting-l...handle-length/

Try a Rowell 1 lb ladle and you may never go back to bottom-pouring.
    I've got a nice RCBS, it's a bottom pour similar to that. I haven't ever used it, I think it's time.

Boolit Master
    The RCBS ladle holds a fraction of the molten lead than a Rowell #1 does. If you like the Rowell #1, you'll love the #2 size. I converted over to the ladle, after thirty five years of bottom pouring. Ladle is slower but the lesser amount of rejects, makes it well worth it. Takes less time to get the mold up to casting temperature and remain there.

The larger the ladle the more heat your pouring. Just let the excess lead run over the mold, back into the pot. I open the sprue plate over the pot, with a gloved hand, dropping the sprues right back into the pot.

Winelover

Hmmm.... I think you folks are enablers!

I can probably sneak a ladle purchase by the fun police

Boolit Master

I find some very large bullets come out better when ladle cast.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a #1 rowel and it holds 1 pound of alloy. I use the rcbs with the spout drilled out to .205 dia from 3/16. I have a 550 grn 45 2 cavity mould and it allows plenty o over pour

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast