Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ladle molds?

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I bottom pour EVERYTHING from a Lee 4-20 with excellent results. That is until I start pouring my 65cal round balls and 1" round weights.

I use a Rowell ladle for those with good results. The Lee just cannot pour the Pb fast enough for large cavities like that.

But I have never found a standard boolit mold in Al, Fe, or brass (up to 45 cal 350gn the largest I cast) that would NOT work with my bottom pour pots.

Preheating all your molds on an electric hot plate to FULL casting temperature sure helps with larger molds and cavities. Try it!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dddddmorgan View Post
    Hmmm.... I think you folks are enablers!

I can probably sneak a ladle purchase by the fun police
    does it go something like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3590.jpg  
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    does it go something like this?
    exactly!!!
    If your mind goes blank don't forget to turn off the sound!

Boolit Grand Master

I still get my best boolits with a Lyman Ladle , with the little side spout on it , fill the ladle , turn the mould on its side and press spot to sprue hole , then roll both spouted ladle and mould upright ...leave a second or two and seperate and leave a nice sprue puddle .
    It's called Pressure Casting or Ladle Casting .
    I tried the bottom pour pots ... but I can't get my best boolits with the bottom pour .
    I went back to a Lee Magnum Melter electric open top pot and a new longer handled Lyman Ladle .
    This was what I did in 1967 before going off on the bottom pour tangent .
    Just about all my boolits drop perfectly filled out . About 50% of the bottom pour boolits were rejects .
    Some moulds , for whatever reason , will do poorly when used with a bottom pour pot but cast great boolits with a ladle and the pressure casting .
    Me and the bottom pour just didn't work well together ...went back to basic's and are casting good boolits again.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Ladles for large weight bullets and multi cavity molds to fill out the bullets, sharp bullet bases and heavy sprue puddle
    Regards
    John

Boolit Bub
    I started with the Lyman ladle but found the Rowell, worked so good I bought a second. I knew something that good they'd sure stop making it. I did shorten the handle some to lessen the cantilever effect of the weight. It's takes a 1/4-20 die.

Nice tip rayh, thanks.
    If your mind goes blank don't forget to turn off the sound!

Vendor Sponsor

For me the Rowell ladle is too much of a good thing. The regular Lyman and RCBS work well for the hardest molds to cast, which most often turn out to be the long rifles bullets. The Rowell ladles are larger and heaver than the regular ladles and in my opinion, not needed and awkward to use. If you are thinking of using a ladle of any type, start with a normal one like RCBS makes and see if it works for you. I think using a normal ladle to its full potential, you can easily cast the largest rifle bullets. I am not talking about the rare, oversized, special projectiles, just the regular ones we cast up to large, long BPCR type bullets weighing 550 grains and more.

The discharge (shape) on the ladle mates the shape of the intake on the mold sprue.

Start casting by turning the mold with the sprue on its side pointing at the ladle and the full ladle discharge pointed at the mold and mate them. Slowly turn the two mated together upright so the lead drains into the mold. Then roll the ladle off the mold leaving a small puddle on top the mold sprue. The lead contracts in the mold as it cools and sucks in a little more liquid metal from the puddle filling each bullet cast completely. No voids in the completed bullet is the goal. All bullets completely filled and weigh the same or very close.

Give it a try.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 11-01-2021 at 05:45 PM.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master
    I use an RCBS ladle.

The whole mate the spout to the sprue plate then turn the mold vertical does not work for me. Every time I try to cast that way, I get no sprue puddle and a clogged spout.

What does work, is to pour from the ladle with the mold held upright, then as the mold just gets full to touch the still flowing spout to the sprue hole. It adds just enough pressure to completely fill the base out, giving sharp edges everywhere and I can still pour on more for a good sized puddle and also go on to fill the other cavities in the mold.

I can run a four cavity Lyman at ~200 grains with one ladle, a six cavity ~250 grain Lee needs two ladles to do all six cavities.

My technique works for me, it might or might not for you.

Robert

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12