Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: decent frozen food

Banned

decent frozen food

might be blasphemy but i like great value lasagna and Stouffer's lasagna all thats needed is a bit more mozzarella on top. Found a new one yesterday. My wife went to gfc (gordons food service) and she came home with some frozen alfredo. I put a bit of extra parm on top and some mozzeralla and some garlic powder and it was good. Not as good as homemade but better then some homemade ive ate that others made.

Moderator Emeritus

Costco's Kirkland brand meat lasagna is probably one of the best I have tried. I eat half in one sitting and leftovers are easy. Tupperware, microwave, and eat.

Boolit Master

I agree with Stouffer's lasagna. We have it from time to time when we need a quick meal. Marie Callender's chicken pot pie is also good. Frozen meals are used around here when we need a quick "throw-down" meal. 98% of the time we cook or eat leftovers. I know people who won't eat leftovers, if it was good the first time, it will probably be just as good the 2nd. We also make our own quick frozen food by buying disposable aluminum foil pans. Make 2 lasagnas, eat 1, other goes in the freezer. Same with chicken pot pie.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Moderator Emeritus

I do a frozen meal now and then... tend to limit them due to salt and chemical content... make my own lasagna, chill overnight int he fridge, cut into squares, place in a vac bag, freeze, then pull a vacuum(so it doesn't smash it into a lump). Drop in a pan of simmering water after thawing overnight in the fridge. Or place in a baking dish, cover with foil and bake it to get the top and edges crispy!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    I agree with Stouffer's lasagna. We have it from time to time when we need a quick meal. Marie Callender's chicken pot pie is also good. Frozen meals are used around here when we need a quick "throw-down" meal. 98% of the time we cook or eat leftovers. I know people who won't eat leftovers, if it was good the first time, it will probably be just as good the 2nd. We also make our own quick frozen food by buying disposable aluminum foil pans. Make 2 lasagnas, eat 1, other goes in the freezer. Same with chicken pot pie.
    The Marie Callenders large size Turkey Pot Pie and her Beef Pot Pie are about as good a meal as I can make from scratch. They taste best heated in the oven ... But , microwave Oven heating isn't bad at all .

What looks so good on TV and on the package is them Hot Pockets ... they look soooo good but taste so nappy ... I keep trying them and they don't get any better tasting ... just pass on the Hot Pockets!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

You folks are making me salivate! I love that stuff and it's soooo off my ketosis diet. I even like Hot Pockets. My favorite were the pepperoni pizza. But OMG(!) check the calories on them and yes the sodium on all that stuff is criminal. I was checking the pre-made burritos the other week and they too are off my diet. Not fine dining but I still miss them. Easier than when I made my own.
    Let's go Brandon!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    People who won’t eat leftovers never know the joy of chili on the second try.

I like pickled jalapeno slices (like for nachos) with my Stouffer's lasagna, I chop 'em up into little pieces and mix 'em in. The pasta tames the hotness, try it!

Boolit Grand Master

We buy Stoeffers lasagna when on sale and always have several in the freezer along with Marie Callender pot pies when we are rushed for time.

We just tried some Wegmans 5 Cheese Garlic Bread and it's the best we have had hands down
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    We buy Stoeffers lasagna when on sale and always have several in the freezer along with Marie Callender pot pies when we are rushed for time.

We just tried some Wegmans 5 Cheese Garlic Bread and it's the best we have had hands down
    The only Wegmans I've been to is in Niagara Falls, NY.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Schwan's has excellent frozen food that they deliver to your door biweekly. It's a little pricey but reasonable when you consider the high quality, delivery service and 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Banned

well my eyes rolling over 18 bucks might have been out of place. Son in law was over yesterday helping with finishing up the new house. He loves the wifes lasagna so she went to the store and bought everything for it (i wasnt happy because we already had everything here and all she had to do was thaw some burger) and it came to 35 bucks. Granted that pan is twice the size of the gfc or stoffers which I guess makes the gfc pretty competitive in price. If she would have asked me i would have guess 10 or 12 bucks to make it but i guess its been way to long since i grocery shopped and im a bit behind the curve on what things cost. Im a fan of the frozen stuff for one reason. She works and i dont so weekdays i cook. I dont have the ambition anymore to make home made lasagna and all the mess that comes with it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    well my eyes rolling over 18 bucks might have been out of place. Son in law was over yesterday helping with finishing up the new house. He loves the wifes lasagna so she went to the store and bought everything for it (i wasnt happy because we already had everything here and all she had to do was thaw some burger) and it came to 35 bucks. Granted that pan is twice the size of the gfc or stoffers which I guess makes the gfc pretty competitive in price. If she would have asked me i would have guess 10 or 12 bucks to make it but i guess its been way to long since i grocery shopped and im a bit behind the curve on what things cost. Im a fan of the frozen stuff for one reason. She works and i dont so weekdays i cook. I dont have the ambition anymore to make home made lasagna and all the mess that comes with it.
    Yeah, wife and I were just in a grocery store and thinking of homemade. Priced $5lb hamburger, ricotta cheese etc and bought another Stoeffers. I used to haul frozen from their plant in SC. Big place.

Guy at hunting camp, Chic, used to bring a #10 can of oysters every year and make oyster stew and fresh bread one night for everyone. Can't imagine what that would cost, now. Boy, late 60's early 70's were magic for a kid at deer camp taking a week off of school for opening.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Moderator Emeritus

Biggest cost of my lasagna is all the cheese... and it makes such a huge pan that I end up with leftover for months if I don't have company over to help eat it. I am working on cutting the recipe in 1/4... will be meatier because I am not going to use just part of a pound of burger, and that requires adjusting how much tomato sauce and spices I use for the meat sauce... getting it right will take some experimenting.

Banned

i want lots of meat and GOOD quality cheese. None of the generic stuff. I have to admit as much as i like to can and make my own stuff i just cant get speggetti sauce right. All the bother and a can of hunts taste better to me.

Boolit Master

We had a family size Stouffers lasagna for dinner last night.
    It is not as good as my wifes homemade lasagna but it is good.
    Another of our favorites is Marie Callender pot pies.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    i want lots of meat and GOOD quality cheese. None of the generic stuff. I have to admit as much as i like to can and make my own stuff i just cant get speggetti sauce right. All the bother and a can of hunts taste better to me.
    Add some corn syrup to your homemade... it thickens and sweetens... and is what you are missing flavor wise between homemade and Hunts! I see yeast extract also, AKA MSG

I make mine with

2 pounds of hot italian sausage cooked off, pour off most of the fat
    Chopped onion cooked with the sausage(wait until sausage is half done)
    Chopped garlic(add after sausage is cooked)
    Home canned tomato sauce to cover the meat, use as much as you want, I like a really meaty sauce...(or my spaghetti base, tomato sauce with herbs, use less herbs to finish the sauce)
    Italian seasoning blend(Walmart store brand is okay, pick out the stems though)
    Sugar(optional, I leave it out because my garden tomatoes are picked at peak ripeness and are sweet)

Simmer all the above until really thick

Banned

ill have to try the corn syrup. thinking on it the sweetness is probably whats missing. Youve never steered me wrong before. Thanks.

Moderator Emeritus

We had a friend that cooked once a month. She made meals for 4 weeks and froze them all. It still tasted better than any commercial stuff.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Not 4 weeks worth of food, but when we were both working we'd cook up a storm on the weekend and eat leftovers the rest of the week. It worked great for us and kept us away from prepared food. Now I cook most of our food to keep us away from high sodium, prepared food is loaded with it because it's a cheap way to add flavor. It might not work so great if we had little hands opening the refrigerator door every 15 minutes to see what has changed in the intervening interval and the box never achieves the set temp'.
    Let's go Brandon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast