WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Power Pistol powder

Boolit Buddy

Power Pistol powder

Fellow reloaders- I have seen reports where Power Pistol seems to be preferred over Unique for some heavier loads. Does anybody have experience with this powder and would care to comment ? Thanks, Bob

All I'll use in 9mm full power loads. Don't use it in anything else.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

its all I use in 9mm as well.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    The best 9mm powder I have used.

Boolit Master
    I found it no better than AA#7 for full power 9mm loads.

Winelover

Boolit Master

I am new to the powder. Having started using it only a few years ago but it has and is growing to become a favorite of mine.

Loading 380 W/231 I find max loads quick and decisively. With PP I reach the same velocity/ accuracy WITHOUT high pressure.

In 10mm I was really suprised, slowly working up I achieved 98% and plenty for my needs as compared to spiky 800x. Also accuracy has been stellar.

I even use for my 40 as my low velocity powder for comp loadings. Its shooting a 175 almost 850 in a 5" G35 and almost 1050 from my 8.5 pcc also excellent accuracy. I can A zone a sillouette @ 200 yards with that load holding the forehead.

I was a devout Red Dot/ Unique guy. Now PP will stand on my powder shelf right beside them.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy

I agree with what has been said above, Power Pistol works really good for me in 9mm and 40.

I also use it in the 9mm for hot loads.

Where it really shines for me is with the calibers that are in the +/- 20,000psi range. Pearce did an article in handloader magazine duplicating the buffalo bore a20 38spl P+ load (158gr lead hp gc bullet doing 1000fps in a snubnosed 2" bbl'd revolver). PP does extremely well with standard pressure 44spl loads and 45acp P+ loads.

Boolit Master
    Looking over the published 9mm data there appears to be no free lunch with that small case capacity. Putting a 125 gr. Up into the 1200 fps. range is a challenge. I've been using Hs 6 with the Lee 356 125r boolit seated deep over 6 grains and I get about 1175 fps on average. Going hotter gives primer flow and firing pin drag marks.

Best I have ever used in .44 special. +p velocity without going over standard pressure. Also kicks butt in mid level .44 magnum. Works in 9mm and .45 acp too.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

They are very similar in their applications despite their marketing, with PP being just a wee bit slower than Unique.

PP truly is excellent in 44 Special +P loads despite filling only half the case. In fact, 8 grains of PP pushing a ~250 grainier is supposedly still at standard pressure yet achieves the Skeeter load velocity in for me in both of my revolvers (Flattop Blackhawk and S&W 624). PP only fills half the case. I've never used old formulation Unique much, but the new formulation is about equally clean to PP. PP meters nicer than Unique, but both meter well enough. The problem for PP has been I haven't seen it on a shelf in years.

PP is excellent in 38 +P as well with heavy bullets (158 grains).

PP is excellent in 9mm and 10mm again with heavy side bullets. It was my go-to powder for a decade, and basically sat in my hopper when I shot autos a lot. Even tried fancy Vitaviouri powders and returned to PP because it was just as good.

This said I really like Unique, and am growing fondness for Herco which is just a wee bit slower than PP. Like PP I have found it to work very well in 44 special +P loads with heavy bullets. It goes like this with Alliant powders I've used: Bullseye < Unique < PP < Herco < Blue Dot < 2400 < 300MP. Frankly, I think 2400 is kinda overrated in normal handguns. Blue Dot can almost achieve the same velocity with less powder and flash. 300MP is a fast rifle powder IMO, excellent for 357 mag rifles or 357Mag/Max Contenders. The lower 5 in that group though all have niches and roles they fill better than the others, but are versatile.

One of the great things about Unique (and Bullseye) is they are the oldest powders still in widespread use and there is an abundance of data for them, even for oddball stuff. Rules of thumb with loading them seem to be reliable too.

In my experience Unique is very temperature stable too, which is very important to me. Even at very low temps the velocity/POI stays the same when using unique. I have not tested other powders so extensively in temp extremes because they were noticeably less stable than Unique.

I have had excellent results in both the .45 Super and .45 Colt...In the .45 Colt it easily produces 1050 fps with a 255 grain Keith bullet in a 4 1/2" barrel Ruger BHk...In the same gun 25 grains of WW296 only makes 40 fps more with the same bullet.

8.0gr of pp in the 44spl's makes an excellent standard pressure load.

Did the test target on the right, offhand (5 shots in 25 seconds) at 25ft using a 3" bbl'd ca bulldog/44spl. The black circle is 3" and the inner white circle is 1". Not bullseye accuracy by any means but good enough for my simple needs with that snubnosed revolver. The 245gr keith swc did 830fps and the 200gr type III wc did 835fps.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Was sighting in the reddots on a couple 22lr pistols on the left target.

Boolit Master

Ive shot the highest vel in my 327 mag,by far,,with pp.also,top speeds in 9mm,,good stuff

Boolit Grand Master

Ex Boss gave me a pound to try in my 40Cal. Works and is very consistent but I find it flashy and don't use it much.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    The best 9mm powder I have used.
    My experience is exactly the same. It also works well in 38 super.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Bub
    It was my powder of choice for running fast 147gr in 9mm. I switched to BE-86 and picked up a little more velocity, used a tiny bit less powder and it also had the benefit of reduced flash, noise and recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    8.0gr of pp in the 44spl's makes an excellent standard pressure load.

Did the test target on the right, offhand (5 shots in 25 seconds) at 25ft using a 3" bbl'd ca bulldog/44spl. The black circle is 3" and the inner white circle is 1". Not bullseye accuracy by any means but good enough for my simple needs with that snubnosed revolver. The 245gr keith swc did 830fps and the 200gr type III wc did 835fps.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Was sighting in the reddots on a couple 22lr pistols on the left target.
    I'm impressed! Most standard 44 special loads just really get my attention in the Charter 44 bulldog.
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks fellow loaders for your opinions on this powder. Bob

Boolit Master

It gives about the best return on full weight cast bullets in .38spl, .41spl and .44spl at reasonable pressures...........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast