MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Question on National Ornance M1 Garand

Boolit Master

Question on National Ornance M1 Garand

I did a search on the forum and could not find anything on this. My son-in-law came across an M1 Garand "National Ord Inc, So El Monte, CA" I did a tear down and it seems in good shape. All parts except the receiver and stock are Springfield Armory. Receiver, of course, is National Ordnance. Muzzle and Throat wear seems low ("1" on my muzzle and throat gauge). I've heard about National Ordnance but could not find anything very informative on the internet. Anyone know much? One source on the internet says the receivers were investment castings-- but I haven't been able to verify that either.

Thanks
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I have a 03A3 that's a National Ordinance. It doesn’t accept clipped ammo and I would never shoot full house loads, but it’s a good shooting rifle.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the link-- which fits with what I had heard. Very hard to find anything about the company on the internet, so maybe someone else here has more.

I have a Federal Ordnance M1 Garand. During the three years subsequent to the purchase (Mid-1980s) I received at least three recall notices from Fed Ord wanting me to return the rifle for examination and correction of a possible unspecified defect. Having already fired the rifle a number of times with G.I. ammo and having received gunsmith training myself, I felt confident that the rifle was in good condition and never returned it. The serial number is in the 30,000 range. It bears the Fed Ord proof mark, a small "F" in a small circle on the receiver.

Mine is branded Fed Ord and not Nat. Ord., but as previously stated, the relationship was close. Later I acquired 3 Fed Ord M14SA rifles (still have 2 of them) that proved trouble free. I placed my order before they were actually produced and got rifles in the 2,000 serial number range. The M1 and M14s do have investment cast receivers, and all of the parts on my specimens were new or excellent condition G.I. parts. Later M14s had quality control issues, and it is my understanding that some receivers were out of spec. and the supply of good surplus parts beginning to dry up. Some of the receivers were cast by Santander in Spain.

Both companies were basically in the business of taking piles of surplus parts from various nations and turning them into something useful, which often required supplying a missing receiver which they had made for the purpose. Their products were usually a one-time run, and when the parts were gone so was the product from their line-up. If your Nat. Ord M1 passes a close examination by a gunsmith I'd feel confident in using it.

DG

Boolit Master
    I decided to make a deal with my son-in-law and buy the National Ordnance M1 Garand from him. Loaded a set of rounds with 150 grain boat-tail bullets just as a function test. Definitely a keeper-- but good news/bad news. Fired off one clip at 100 yards in blustery wind and had 5 shots inside 1", all 8 grouped 3". This is without even doing a ladder or anything to find the best load. Bad news was I could not zero the rifle because the locking screw on the right side of the sight is missing and the cast receiver is missing the alignment marks for the vertical and horizontal adjustment of the sight. How can you build a receiver and leave off the sight reference marks??? Anyway-- I am plenty happy with it and can fix the problems. Definitely a keeper.

Glad to hear that it's working out for you. The missing marks can be made with a Sharpie felt tip, and mean just as much as if they were stamped on the receiver. The marks, by themselves don't mean much. You were to get the rifle zeroed, and then note which marks the sights were on for future reference so than you could return to them for repeatability. Same thing here, zero and make a mark.

DG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Glad to hear that it's working out for you. The missing marks can be made with a Sharpie felt tip, and mean just as much as if they were stamped on the receiver. The marks, by themselves don't mean much. You were to get the rifle zeroed, and then note which marks the sights were on for future reference so than you could return to them for repeatability. Same thing here, zero and make a mark.

DG
    Excellent idea
    Thanks