WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45-70 Starline Brass Question

45-70 Starline Brass Question

Inside of my 45-70 brass from Starline, I noticed some pieces have a distinct brass ring around the flash hole and some don’t. Does it matter? Today I shot one 5 shot group that measured 1 1/4” at 100, using a Lee 500 GC and 60 gr of OE 1.5. Next group had three almost touching and two that wandered away. Guess what, I have two pieces of brass without the ring around the flash hole. I’ll certainly get around to testing it. Has anyone else noticed the brass and if so, do you segregate it?

Banned
    Don't see the need where we hunt right off the river near Green Swamp every one of the hogs we kill has been almost close enough to put the barrel on their back. Same for our camp in Dixie county you can smell before you ever see em.

Boolit Master

I believe the ring to which you refer is a result of the punching process leaving a burr inside the flash hole. Several tool makers have flash hole debur tools, Lyman and Sinclair among them. Usually hand operated, they are inserted through the case neck and twisted to remove the excess brass. Gotta do it but once and all your cases will be similar enough to eliminate worries. I do this with my cowboy long range 45-70 brass.

Boolit Master

I have noticed on a lot of brass a ring inside around flash hole from the stamping process , no issue I have ever seen .

The ring is “stepped” and doughnut shaped, approximately 1/10” across the doughnut and the hole comes right to the flash hole. Not a burr at all. Other brass is smooth bottomed. Tried to post pic but keep getting error. I can email the pic to someone and possibly it can be posted then

Boolit Grand Master

I have checked brass a lot and the ring is a burr around the flash hole due to it being punch from out to in. This can be pushed around some restricting the flash hole and possibly affecting ignition. I deburr the flash holes inside the case cutting a uniform chamfer around it. With the tool it only takes a few seconds to do, and it helps eliminate the wandering shots.

Vendor Sponsor

Can you post a picture? I am not at all sure where (inside the case or out) or just what the extra metal is shaped like or how much of it we are talking about.

Sorry ....my 2 cents worth. A picture would be worth one thousand words here.
    Chill Wills

Chill Will, as I said, I tried and keep trying to post but I get a msg saying upload of file failed. If a member can msg me with your email and I’ll send pic to you and maybe you can post pic. The presence of the ring isn’t an issue, but lack of a ring on some of the brass is what the question is about. The “ring” feature isn’t an accident but a consequence of production. Just wondering if others have noticed
    Last edited by Castaway; 10-23-2021 at 06:28 PM.

Boolit Mold
    I finally got Starline 45-70 brass about a month ago. Checked several and I don’t see a ring inside the cartridge around the flash hole.

Boolit Buddy

I have a large number of Starline cases bought years ago and I found they have the recess you see in yours.I found it because my Cleave re-de capper tip was perfect fit when using it to stick in it.Had to make the end a bit smaller to cure it. Newer cased may not have it?

Boolit Master
    Live and learn!

I have used mostly Starline in my 45-70 for 20+ years... I NEVER checked the flash hole from inside. I clean outside and tumble and check mouths etc... but never the flash hole inside.

I weigh and sort my 300 WM brass, shooting 1" /5rds/ 300 meters sometimes on a good no wind day. Again, never checked the holes for burrs...

Will do tonight, thanks for the heads up.

Boolit Master
    I have not had a problem with my brass.

Vendor Sponsor

reposted and edited picture for Castaway

Here it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    Chill Will, as I said, I tried and keep trying to post but I get a msg saying upload of file failed. If a member can msg me with your email and I’ll send pic to you and maybe you can post pic. The presence of the ring isn’t an issue, but lack of a ring on some of the brass is what the question is about. The “ring” feature isn’t an accident but a consequence of production. Just wondering if others have noticed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saved and edited for a castboolits member re-post-IMG_3719.jpg  
    Chill Wills

Vendor Sponsor

If I am seeing what I think I am seeing, I don't think it is a problem at all. It just changes the case volume some extremely small amount in an area that does not interfere with the fit of anything. I would guess, .... looks like something in the case drawing operation leaves this condition. Starline must deem this within their spec.

This "doughnut" is different than the rough flash-hole wire edge new cases get from punching the flash hole and is often trimmed with the above referenced tool used to prep new cases.
    Your question - has anyone else seen this? I have not that I am aware of.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 10-24-2021 at 01:03 PM.
    Chill Wills

Most of my cases are like the pic. I was surprised when I found some without

Boolit Master
    Ive never seen the dies they use to form cases but it's probably just a matter of Starline updating their tooling at some point. I'd segregate for consistency, wouldn't worry about it beyond that.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

I have some of those cases with that ring. They were in the brass with the early head stamp.
    Below are a closeup of that ring and without it. The left dark ring on the outside not around the flash hole is what I think Castaway is talking about. The right is a case without that ring. I would guess that ring is about .005" deep.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0477 2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	290763Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0485 2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	290764

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I have a few hundred 45/70 cases from Starline, but have never seen that.

Boolit Buddy
    Lead Pot , now those are " picture perfect " pictures ,, thank you.

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Yes, my compliments on the photography. Mine didn’t turn out so well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast