RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Rmr lead+rotometal superhard+tin

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.

Rmr lead+rotometal superhard+tin

I am getting ready to fire up the turkey cooker. The steel pot has 60 pounds of rocky mountain reloading lead frozen into the bottom of it.

On the side I have one ingot of Roto metals superhard and 30 ounces of pure tin.

I'm setting up for melting down and removing half of what's in the pot, then mixing in the metals. Based on the lead calculator I was looking at: 30 pounds of range scrap+ one ingot of super hard + the 30oz tin = approximately Lyman number 2.

What do you all say?

I want to move away from the monkey metal scrap and towards something that I know what it is, so I can improve my casting and reloading.

Thank you in advance for sharing any ideas. It is a beautiful day in the mountains

Boolit Buddy
    Two and a half percent tin and two and a half percent antimony is a fine alloy. I’d just mix up all 67 pounds.

Boolit Master
    You don't need to use that much tin. More than 3% tin is just a waste. It only takes a little bit of tin to improve the mold fill out and the mechanical properties of the alloy. I've had very good results from this alloy: 26 lbs of lead, 3 pounds of "BB" sized chilled shot, 5 lbs of superhard, and 1 lb of tin. This gives me an alloy that's 92.6% PB, 4.46% SB, 2.86% SN, and 0.08% arsenic. Air cooled it is at 13.5 BHN. I haven't tested the quenched hardness, but it is quite hard. It makes very nice looking boolits. For pistol boolits I cut this alloy 50/50 with pure lead.

Boolit Grand Master

It looks like your math is ok. Lyman #2 is a great alloy but I would consider 94-3-3 or even 96-2-2 and conserve the tin. Those factory ingots sure are purty! So is that Fall picture!

I bought 100 pounds of RMR lead, and what I did was weigh out 9 pounds of RMR and 1/2 pound of monotype. This gives me a BHN of 13 which is plenty for what I do.