Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accurate 2230 c uses?

Boolit Grand Master

AA2230 and AA2230c are two different powders.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    From the Internet research I’ve been seeing its burn rate is between 2230 and 2460? Close enough to aa2460 to use its load data? I have three 8 pound jugs so I’ll have to put it to use. Hopefully I can find a more accurate load than I have so far in whelen. Don’t think I tried varget in it yet either.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    From the Internet research I’ve been seeing its burn rate is between 2230 and 2460? Close enough to aa2460 to use its load data? I have three 8 pound jugs so I’ll have to put it to use. Hopefully I can find a more accurate load than I have so far in whelen. Don’t think I tried varget in it yet either.
    Again, AA2230 is a different powder than AA2230c. The 2230c is compatible with 2460 data. AA2230 is not.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I'm not familiar with 2230c, that may in fact be a different powder. But Ramshot X-Terminator and AA2230 are identical powders, both made by Western, and branded differently for Accurate and Ramshot. But are great powders, very close to H335 or WC844. Again, I can't speak for the 2230c, but if it is close to AA2460 then you could almost exchange data with 2230/Ramshot, H335 or WC844. Western's manual shows a 55gr FMJ-BT load of 22.6gr - 25.1gr. If you look at 2230 it is 22.4gr - 24.9gr, same for Ramshot.

In my opinion, how do you say potato? Because we're talking about basically the same thing...
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Grand Master

"you could almost exchange data"

Good luck with that.......
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I used up an 8 pound jug recently on my AR's in .223/5.56,....a lot of rounds and a lot fun!

Just got some more, along with some IMR 8208XBR to try.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

I would assume AA22460, 2460, and “standard A-2460” are all the same powder? I’m excited to see that it has a large range of calibers I can use it in. I’ve seen loads for 223, 243, 35 rem, 35 whelen, and 30-06 so far I can use it for.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    "you could almost exchange data"

Good luck with that.......
    I'm just saying the recommended load data appears to be very, very close. I can't speak to the burn rates, but it appears all of them have suggested load data within a few tenths of a grain. It's not hard to extrapolate safe loads from that information. Which is something that is done pretty regularly. Remember "Russian Unique" that Jeff Bartlett used to sell? It was listed as having a similar burn rate to Unique, and people worked up safe loads with it. WC844, was listed as having similar burn rates similar to H335, we worked up safe loads based on that information, as well as lot to lot differences. This isn't uncommon. It may not be as safe as having proper pressure testing equipment, such as you have. But it's not uncommon.

If it has a similar burn rate to AA2460, that is very close to the same charges as 2230 from the data I have seen. I can't speak to what differences there are with the AA2230c, I've never seen load data for a 'c' variant... But don't take my word for it, here is the link to Western's load data, see pages 48 & 49: https://hodgdonpowderco.com/wp-conte...e8.0_WEB-1.pdf

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Boolit Grand Master

Keep in mind the manuals of the last 10-20 years load the 223 to SAAMI Specs. Thus, there is a pretty good fudge factor for the cartridge as SAAMI MAPs are much lower than EVAP 5.56 specs. If you load to max 5.56 EVAP Pmax with 2460 or AA2230c and then decide to use the same load but with AA2230 or H335 I can guarantee you the pressures will be much higher than even EVAP standards. I have measured the pressures of such so unless you like high end 60K or 70K psi I recommend against doing so.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Keep in mind the manuals of the last 10-20 years load the 223 to SAAMI Specs. Thus, there is a pretty good fudge factor for the cartridge as SAAMI MAPs are much lower than EVAP 5.56 specs. If you load to max 5.56 EVAP Pmax with 2460 or AA2230c and then decide to use the same load but with AA2230 or H335 I can guarantee you the pressures will be much higher than even EVAP standards. I have measured the pressures of such so unless you like high end 60K or 70K psi I recommend against doing so.
    Yeah, I rarely load anything to max... Most of time I find the sweet spot about 1-1.5gr above minimum. I think my WC855 load for 5.56 is 23.5gr, as that is what weight my auto-disk will reliably drop, where my best groups are actually with 24.5gr with a Hornady 55gr FMJ-BT. But rather than get a new auto measure I just drop at the 23.5gr charge and truck on along.

I agree with you. I was just pointing out you can still work up some safe loads when you know what range the powder is in, and are willing to work up carefully.

Did some digging today and found in my stash an old load pamphlet I picked up in 02'.
    I did read anything in the front yet to see if it references 2230-c data crossbow reference but I’ll read it tonight. Saw it had some 2640 data for 35 whelen. Looks like a grain less than what Hodgen recommends for a max 180 grain load. I also see that there is load data for 180 grain. 30-06 that gets me excited since I ended up with a bulk box of 180 grain round nose Seirras part number 2170. So 16 pounds of unopened powder...that I opened the other day to load up some whelen. The third 8 pound container only had a pound at max I tossed becuase it was contaminated. I am guessing thos powder must build pressure fast as the max load was listed at 45.8 grains for a HPBT at 2563 fps for 30-06. Also another listing for 41 grains max with a (L) “lead”180 grain RN at 2406 fps. Both load lists “to me” are not impressive max velocity numbers vs most modern 30-06 180 grain loads are round the 2700 fps “advertised” velocity.

I found an old Western powders paperback I picked up at the same time. Probably came from Scheels or Gander Mountain at the time. Just 35 whelen data and about the exact same as accurately 2002' data.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-04-2024 at 06:44 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12