MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Help identifying items

Boolit Buddy

Help identifying items

I found a bunch of Corbin swaging dies at a thrift store yesterday. Amongst the items are some things I am not sure of. Bunch of form dies for odd diameters but I at least know what they are. I did get a full set of dies to make .22 and 6mm bullets from 22LR. I believe I have the dies to make every conceivable .308 bullet known to man including boat tails. Got the whole lot for $300. No press or core mold unfortunately with the lot. Still think I came out ok.
    The items I don’t know about are for pistol calibers. I have 45, 44, and 38 but the dies are unlike any I have seen and not really sure if I have all the parts.

First photo are of different diameters and only one had a punch. Second photo I have these for each of the 38, 44, and 45 calibers. The punch with the nose shape has what looks like a shell holder machined into it but its much larger than normal. Third photo, I have five of these but I don't think I have the dies to used them. Fourth photo was a shrink wrapped package with all the items and a finished 30 call bullet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F3B25D3E-C7AC-45E7-8675-744F037FBE9A.jpg   DEB34303-AF93-4EED-A6B4-CF6EC5E55E39.jpg   9D019D0F-54E4-4AA8-BA6D-9ADC943C0771.jpg   81EB6F97-7B1A-44D1-9B91-2FD905F7EE38.jpg  
    Last edited by CWME; 10-22-2021 at 06:30 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Not sure about the first three. But the fourth picture looks like Blackmon dies.

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

Photo three appears to be the Corbin Floating Punch Holder.

At least, it looks identical to the one on my Corbin Silver Press.

If you have five punch holders, I may be interested in one.

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Buddy
    I took some better pictures of what I would assume are dies to make a semi wadcutter handgun bullet. Just not clear on what press and exactly how they work together.

I took one of the punches out that is in pic 4 above and it fit into the floating punch holder. Would these work with a Corbin CSP press or do I have to find a Blackmon press? I ordered a Corbin press tonight so will figure out eventually.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 59B4D670-90AC-40A8-B26D-89086F8F1D60.jpg   B37ED3D1-194F-46F7-BEB9-03B953A02734.jpg   05A92F8A-8F92-4A4C-95BF-3664A5858234.jpg  
    Last edited by CWME; 10-23-2021 at 07:01 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the part identification FC60 and Dsltech1

Boolit Buddy
    Some more of the random stuff I got.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BC60E90E-DF65-4136-9D90-8AC3EC1F659C.jpg   743683EE-1639-420F-8469-ACE654A21A97.jpg   502514DD-1A8D-4C15-97D8-C5C98B0CEB3C.jpg  

Banned
    Most of them looks like Corbin’s S-Dies to me.

Boolit Buddy
    what a great score,that looks like a lot of hours doing some serious puttering......

Unless there is a reason you are not taking items out the plastic bags, you may want to remove them take individual close up picture of each item and number them so members will be able to ID specific items.

The long thread with the free floating punch is a punch holder and base punch and does look like it goes to a "S" press.

The short threaded and smooth sided I am not familiar with.

You do have a bullet forming die which is the die with the short amount of threads and about 1.5 times as much smooth side. The pin mounted in the die is the ejection pin.

Some of the others may be core forming and seating dies. The ones I have for my "S" press are threaded like the bullet forming die.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

Telephone Dave Corbin and have a chat regarding what you have. You will find he is most helpful.

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the info! I am keeping everything in the bags so I don't get things mixed up. This is about half of the stuff I got in the pics so a lot to contend with. Nothing has numbers on it other than the smooth sided dies that have 452, 429, 357 in the big cylinders and 45, 44, 38 on the shorter ones.

I have been playing with the 22LR to 6mm a bit. Using some airgun slugs stacked as a core to give it a try. Only thing remotely small enough to fit the core form dies. Have two core form dies, one makes a .201 core and the other is much smaller. Assume the smaller die is to make cores for commercial jackets. Have to anneal the jackets but have made a few good bullets. 60gr flat base for my 6BR should be just fine for plinking at moderate ranges. Pretty neat process.

Quote Originally Posted by CWME View Post
    Using some airgun slugs stacked as a core to give it a try. Only thing remotely small enough to fit the core form dies.
    If you have a core forming die for the bigger calibers and a supply of soft lead, cast up something that will fit in the core forming dies and bleed off some long pieces of wire through the bleed off holes. It may be a little thin but might work.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    I found a bunch of Corbin swaging dies at a thrift store yesterday. Amongst the items are some things I am not sure of. Bunch of form dies for odd diameters but I at least know what they are. I did get a full set of dies to make .22 and 6mm bullets from 22LR. I believe I have the dies to make every conceivable .308 bullet known to man including boat tails. Got the whole lot for $300. No press or core mold unfortunately with the lot. Still think I came out ok.
    The items I don’t know about are for pistol calibers. I have 45, 44, and 38 but the dies are unlike any I have seen and not really sure if I have all the parts.

First photo are of different diameters and only one had a punch. Second photo I have these for each of the 38, 44, and 45 calibers. The punch with the nose shape has what looks like a shell holder machined into it but its much larger than normal. Third photo, I have five of these but I don't think I have the dies to used them. Fourth photo was a shrink wrapped package with all the items and a finished 30 call bullet.
    3. Looks to be a Dave Corbin Die
    4. is either an old RCE or Blackmon but I am thinking Blackmon. They both made horizontal presses if I am not mistaken.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Master
    Some more of the random stuff I got.
    First 2 look like S-Type being that they look to be knurled, if they are smooth then Blackmon but I am not certain I have seen typed cards in Blackmon stuff, I have seen those typed cards in Corbin. But the last photo is definitely Blackmon.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor