Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 45 ACP Revolvers

On my 3rd trip to the range with my new-to me- 625-3 it showed me what it wanted to be fed.Attachment 291707 I am really starting to like this gun. Attachment 291708 Probably because it shoots these so well. 6.7 gr of Accurate #5 and a 253 gr Accurate molds boolit. 45"shorts" dont beat the bejesus out of the shooter and are just plain fun to shoot.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy
    Picked up a S&W 1917 today at Tulsa Gun show. Brazilian contract stamped 1937 45 ACP. Found full moon clips at the show also. I already load for 45 ACP so I will try it out tomorrow.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Quote Originally Posted by beshears View Post
    Picked up a S&W 1917 today at Tulsa Gun show. Brazilian contract stamped 1937 45 ACP. Found full moon clips at the show also. I already load for 45 ACP so I will try it out tomorrow.
    If you decide you want a bunch of clips , Revolver Supply I believe is the supplier for Midway and Wilson Combat . Get a buddy and split 100 . They go from $1.25+ for 5 or 10 to $0.75 ea for 100 . Let your buddy pay the shipping and keep the extra trial clips yourself . Or not ...... I got 105 about 6 yr ago for $82 shipped and split with a buddy that had a brand new Governor .

A large dia pill bottle makes a perfect storage container for empty clips and a tall pill bottle makes a nice 24-30 round loaded clip magazine depending on your bullet and seating .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boatswainsmate View Post
    …I picked these up today from the auction house's FFL. Thanks for looking and any comments! Boats

Hi Boats,

A little late to the party but you have had a month with your new revolvers! How do they shoot? I have several ACP revolvers, (heck, I have several of the Model 22-4) and like them all. The newer ones seem to like boolits better than the 1917s but all can be made to shoot with patience.

I have considered getting the 325 but not sure if I would like a barrel that short. I prefer 4” for carry and even for my house gun. Longer for range work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2EB26B65-4344-4F67-A985-FF7B1F006C00.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	292108

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    Hi Boats,

A little late to the party but you have had a month with your new revolvers! How do they shoot? I have several ACP revolvers, (heck, I have several of the Model 22-4) and like them all. The newer ones seem to like boolits better than the 1917s but all can be made to shoot with patience.

I have considered getting the 325 but not sure if I would like a barrel that short. I prefer 4” for carry and even for my house gun. Longer for range work.

Name:	2EB26B65-4344-4F67-A985-FF7B1F006C00.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	292108

Kevin
    Both of the firearms shot well. The 325 went down the road when someone made a offer I couldn't refuse. I'm still looking for a set of factory grips for the Model 22. I like the look of the grips your using with the Tyler T's. Happy Shooting. Boats

Boolit Master
    Hey boats,

Refresh my memory, what were the original stocks on the Model 22-4?

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by NuJudge View Post
    My experience with S&W .45 acp revolvers is that their cylinder throats are huge. My 25-2 has .456" throats.
    Same here. I thought the throats on my 25-2 were big at .454.
    What could possibly go wrong?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    Hey boats,

Refresh my memory, what were the original stocks on the Model 22-4?

Kevin
    https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...lassics-4-blue

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by QuackAttack24 View Post
    Same here. I thought the throats on my 25-2 were big at .454.
    I believe it was a common problem in the early pinned barrel firearms in 45 acp and 45 colt.

Boolit Master
    That’s right, a variation of the old service stocks. I like the Magna stocks as they are a bit wider and the grip adapter allows my hand a better purchase on the grip frame.

Kevin

Boolit Master
    I believe it was a common problem in the early pinned barrel firearms in 45 acp and 45 colt.

Not sure it was a common problem but it was a problem especially if you did not cast your own bullets.

SOME revolvers have been reported with oversized throats. Some are okay and some were perfect. Usually only noted by those who were competitive target shooters. Many of those who echo the problem don’t shoot enough to know the difference. I have a Model 25-5 that I have never bothered to measure. The first load I tried with a 260 grain SWC shot well enough for me that I was able to hunt and take many deer with it.

It satisfied my need for that revolver.

My 25-2 shoots well enough with my standard ACP load, I see no need to mess with it.

My newest 25-2 is not been tested.

It really all depends on how you intend to use the piece as to what level of accuracy you can live with comfortably.

Kevin

Boolit Master
    I just got these new stocks for an N frame. The first revolver I could easily grab was my old EDC, a Model 1917 from the Brazilian contract.

Name:	957020AF-9752-473C-845F-9FACC16109EA.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	307283

They looked fine but I knew they would be a better match on one of my other ACP revolvers. I swapped them around and when I put them on this Model 1950 ACP Target Revolver, I knew they had found a home.

Name:	5D673CF6-C796-4509-AF56-E1888663B497.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	307284

Name:	EF8AAA38-41E9-4C80-8696-207C01E8E701.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	307285

Ran three cylinders through it to settle them in and she shot great!

Kevin

Boolit Master

Name:	9A7A3AAD-E2D3-4E19-B0DC-BAC8E16272B7.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	320251

Just to revive this post, my latest ACP revolver. It likes the same load all my others like, the SAECO 453 over a hardball dose of Bullseye, on left. Now working with two other boolits, the 45-283, middle and the Arsenal 45-250-WC.

Name:	IMG_8066.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	320252

I will start with hardball doses of powder and see how they do. It will take a lot to unseat the SAECO boolit!

Kevin

Kevin, what speed are you getting out of that 283 boolit. I'll bet that thing hits pretty hard. Is it accurate?
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Name:	S&W Governor 2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	320272

I realize this likely makes me a pariah here,...but I really enjoy my Governor. I previously never saw the utility of spending money on a .45acp revolver. But the ability to shoot 3 calibers (actually 5 if we count .45Schofield and ..45AutoRim) was too much to resist. Plus, I've long wanted to be able to carry .410 Dragon's Breath as potential riot medicine. I also like how intimidating it appears when drawn down on someone. It's like seeing the largest snubnosed EVAR pointed at you.
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

Pariah or not, you must not be alone in thinking that because they sell pretty well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Kevin, what speed are you getting out of that 283 boolit. I'll bet that thing hits pretty hard. Is it accurate?
    I have not had it out to target in yet. November is our busiest month as everyone suddenly realizes they need their knives sharpened for Thanksgiving ! December is only slightly less busy with Hanukkah and Christmas, ( Yes, I am also a Kosher knife sharpener).

And speed? I will have no idea as I do not need a chronograph. I need a load that groups accurately enough for the sport at hand. The 45-283 will start over 5.0 grains of Bullseye. It will go up slowly until groups start to fade. I will shoot it from 5 or 6 revolvers and see what it does for an average. With at least a dozen ACP revolvers, I look for a load that is accurate in all of them. I am not interested in finding a specific load for each revolver. If I take up Bullseye or PPC, then maybe I will dial in a specific load but realistically, a good load is a good load. A specific load MIGHT be a bit more accurate but …

I will keep you posted.

Kevin

Boolit Buddy
    My 2 favorite 45acp revolvers are my Uberti '60 Army's with Walt Kirst's cylinders!! They are both very accurate and +p ammo seems to be the preferred ammo. Definitely correct the "short arbor" with this setup for best results!!

Mike

Boolit Mold
    I also have the Uberti 1860 and Kirst .45 acp conversion.
    Thanks, Mike for your advice. You were a big help.
    It's rapidly becoming my favorite handgun.

Boolit Master
    The "utility" of a .45 ACP revolver may have come and gone (unless your last name is Miculek), but I have always wanted one, "just because". If, for some bizarre reason, I was constrained to carry a revolver for personal defense, it would certainly be one of the N-frame S&Ws in .45 ACP. Since I can now carry what I want, my need for one of these is less immediate, but my WISH for one has not abated one bit.
    For the right money, I'D get one just because they are very wonderful works of firearm art.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast