Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 45 ACP Revolvers

I use my Ruger Blackhawk 45ACP convertable for single action matches, if anyone asks it is a 45 "Short Colt"!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Buddy
    I had a 22-4 like that but not case-colored. One of the dumbest things I’ve ever done was selling it.
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Boolit Grand Master

I also have a SS Ruger Bisley .45 ACP/.45 Colt Convertible. Using the .45 ACP cylinder, it is not possible to use .45 Auto Rim cases, due to the lack of sufficient headspace in a single action, but Starline .45 Cowboy Special cases work PERFECTLY in the single action convertible .45 ACP cylinder. They have the same rim thickness as the .45 Colt, so headspace perfectly using the .45 ACP cylinder. This allows the user to roll crimp for those heavier bullets that may be desired. That allows the single action shooter pretty much the same benefits that the double action shooter has using the .45 Auto Rim cases.

Just a thought or two…
    Dale53

Boats, you have the best of both worlds, a light weight carry gun and a beautiful range gun. What's not to like. I had a 1917 Colt is excellent shape about 8 yrs ago until some body offered me too much $ for it and I sold it like a nit wit. They don't kick like a mule or breathe fire but they punch above their weight. I regretted selling that Colt and a couple weeks ago I fixed that problem. This one is a model of 1989 and it is home to stay! I am betting yours are too.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Cast Boolits Owner

My first 625 was a gift from dad and had the cylinder machined by Clark Custom to accept 460 Rowland before I received the gun. I have several other 25’s / 625’s as well as several “truck gun” clones made from combining genuine Mod 25 pieces/parts picked up (cheap) over the years with inexpensive N Frames when I come across them. I have a stainless snub barrel and cylinder squirreled away in case I run across a Round butt, N frame parts gun.

I also have 2 Ruger 45 Colt / 45 ACP caliber convertible pistols. One has an additional (3rd) cylinder which has had if I remember correctly .040 machined from the face to allow the use of 45 Auto Rim cartridges.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Buddy

Remember. Old- Fat and Slow will get the job done GW

Boolit Master

Thanks for a the reply's and comments

Robert, I have always wondered why the 460 Rowland was not made into
    A commercial round. It punches hard if you want it to or lends itself to plinking loads as well. You can chamber it in a smaller frame than a 454 and not worry about it getting souped up and stuffed into an old colt 45.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A3C9AA93-AEBA-4EF0-90DB-73DD53D3E0F5.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	290922
    Just fit a blkhawk 45acp cylinder to one of my .45colt vaqueros. Did it to use small pistol primer acp brass for cas shoots saving my much smaller supply of lpp for my .44-40/45colt cas rifles.

Charter made a .45ACP five shot that would have been good bedside manner.
    And I like #1 and #2.

Boolit Master
    Very classy guns....

I've had two 25-2s, several S&W Mountain Guns and a 625-7PC 5"...

A friend had one of almost all the .45 ACP revolvers made. The main one he was missing was the Heritage 5.5" with the case hardened frame... He sold off most of his collection a few years ago and I got a very nice S&W 1917 from him. He did keep a Charter Arms Pitbull, Ruger 3" stainless Vaquero with Birdhead grip and a S&W Governor.

I still have the 1917, 625-7PC and a Taurus 4" Tracker... Of all the ones I have ever shot the 625 Mountain Gun was the best all-around gun there is...should have never sold my last one...

Bob

Cast Boolits Owner

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    A commercial round. It punches hard if you want it to or lends itself to plinking loads as well. You can chamber it in a smaller frame than a 454 and not worry about it getting souped up and stuffed into an old colt 45.
    Sorry I am late responding.

I am not sure why it wasn’t turned into a commercial round as it definitely is versatile. Maybe it is too much like the 45 Super. Anyway, when dad gave me the gun in the early 90’s it came 250 pieces of Starline brass, an 8# jug of AA7, and a one page print out of load data. I loaded to all levels using different jacketed as well as lead projectiles. My hottest loads came from Georgia Arms and pushed a 185 XTP @1400+ FPS. My favorite load for the revolver is a RCBS 255 Keith @1250 FPS. I also have a Colt 1991A1 with a Clark Custom drop in 460 Rowland barrel kit. I tightened up the slide and smoothed the trigger using methods my gunsmith friend and fellow member Preacher Jim has taught me. My favorite 230 grain load for both guns is a 230 Rainier, REM 2 1/2, Starline brass, and enough AA7 to get it going 1125 FPS but since I hate picking up brass the Colt usually takes a back seat to the revolver.

Robert
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post
    I use my Ruger Blackhawk 45ACP convertable for single action matches, if anyone asks it is a 45 "Short Colt"!
    45 Short Colt ... I love it

I have a Taurus 455 ... in 45 Short Colt ... aka 45 Auto Rim ?
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    This is only my opinion, but the biggest detractor to the 460 Rowland is that it can not work in a normal semi-auto handgun. It has to be specially set up, and as far as I know, will not function without a compensator. Very few people are ok with a compensator on their handgun. I feel it would be a very good hunting round, but then again, I have a hard time choosing that over a 10mm auto that doesn't need all the acrobatics.

In a revolver, I fail to see what it can offer that a 45 acp or a 45 colt does already. It's a niche of a niche cartridge that doesn't really offer anything to most people. That's why it would be foolish for any company to want to use it. It's a wildcat for a semi-auto handgun.

Why does it need a compensator?

Boolit Bub
    I have 3 revolvers in 45ACP.
    Love them all. 4" 625. 5" 625. 5.5 " bisley convertible. Dont have a favorite one.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Why!

I've never understood using an auto pistol cartridge in a revolver.
    Why! He say’s. Why not?
    My number 1 reason would be I don’t have to chase brass!
    #2 I don’t have to worry about swapping springs or beating my 1911 to death with 454424’s
    #3 Call me old fashioned but I prefer a revolver over an auto, for several reasons but my favorite is;”Six for sure.”
    # 4 commonality of ammunition
    #5 if you already have a 1911 or 6 why not buy a cool wheeler that shoots the same ammunition? ( I know this kind of goes with #4) just sayin.
    I’m sure there’s a lot more that could be added to the list but that’ll do for now.
    To each his own I guess.
    To the O.P. Nice 45’s that is a good find.

Boolit Master

Skeeter said many moons ago 'the best .45autos were wheelguns' or something like that. I own a coupla 1911 variants but I think I have 12 revolvers that will shoot .45acp....
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Buddy
    I just sent the money for my first, a 625-6 with a 5” barrel.
    I hope to pu a 325 or one of the Thunder Ranch guns in the future.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    The 2 I have are 1917s from 1918 . Both have .453 throats , .451 grooves .

I like the moon clips it makes picking up brass pretty easy .
    I have 5-600 45 AR brass .

I paper patched a .448 dia 430421 which shot ok . The 454424 and NOE copy not so much . 200s in about any form shoot well .

I'd really like to have a 230 gr RNFP shaped like the 358-158 Lee .
    I do have a 454424 HP but haven't cast it yet . The NOE with the large pins did shoot ok but were gifted to me .

I wish I had a 453421 ........to bad it's not a thing .
    A 230 shaped like the 454424 or moving the crimp groove down about a drive band on the 423 .
    Probably the SWC 45-230 CM would be great .

The 2nd is a bubba gun reamed to case mouth head space for 45 S&W . It has to have AR or clips for ACP . Yes it's a dandy hot loaded Schofield .

I like the 2nd example but would be quite happy with the first finish and the seconds grips .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast