WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: spring clip

Boolit Bub

spring clip

I have an old RCBS Mod A, normally don't use it. I'm forming 1600 cases up for ground squirrels on my A3 . I need a second press set up for another operation. Problem is the shell holder wire spring clip doesn't hold the shell holder on the Mod A, wants to keep turning. Does anyone know of a source for those wire spring clips. RCBS doesn't have them or that's what the person I talked to said. Maybe another press Mfg would fit?? Appreciate any suggestions.

Boolit Master

I am not sure what spring clip you are referring to. Is it the ½/¾circle with a small 90 degree bend on one end. i have some extras from RCBS from last year for a reloader special 5. They clip around the top of the ram to hold the shellholder in the milled slot. If this is the same, they were available last year for thr RS5 press i have.

Boolit Master

i can measure my RS-5 ram diameyer and take a pic of the clip if that will help. Brad.

Banned
    The Model A does not use a spring clip, it has a set screw to hold the shellholder.

Sounds to me that the OP has a Rockchucker.

Boolit Bub
    BK7-- that sounds like what I have. I popped it out, the wire is about .060 dia. Across the outside of the 1/2 circle is about .850. Is that what you have dimension wise. I hope so I'll call RCBS next week. I just ask about the Mod A. Pressman, maybe someone has modified my press. The main ram is 1.290 dia. There's a short ram about 2 1/2' long in the top that's about .805 dia. It's held by 4 set screws. It sticks out of the main ram by about 7/16" where you snap in the shell holder. Has the ram been swapped??? It wouldn't surprise me, the handle was a fitted ( down at the compound lever) rifle barrel with a foam grip. I had a piece of drill rod fitted for a handle. The press has a crappy brown color but it doesn't look to have been painted. Thanks for the help.

Banned
    Well, the A's were sort of a crappy color, brown or green/gray depending on how dirty it is. Your ram has been modified. The extension is from another press and homemade to fit. The original extension was held in with a single taper pin.

Without going downstairs and looking you need the spring clip from a JR2/3/RS press. I think www.ch4d.com has them in stock. The wire spring is common to many brands of press.

Boolit Bub
    Pressman-- I just checked some CH4D shell holder extensions and they use the spring clip. Thanks for the help.