Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ok got a martini cadet action and a 1:8 twist barrel coming. Suggestions?

Boolit Master

Ok got a martini cadet action and a 1:8 twist barrel coming. Suggestions?

Any suggestions or what to get it chambered for?
    Thinking a short by 100 thou 300 blkout rimmed using 357mag cases or a 30-20.

My go to powder is bullseye.
    Thinking 30-20 may struggle with 180+ grn cast plainbase.
    Short rimmed blk not so much.
    Prolly end up with the Lee soup can or a 150 fp for most uses and I do love my Pope 180 grn bullet thou.
    Speed would be around speed of sound nothing spectacular needed.

I would most likely have to have a free bore with a 100 thou to get the bullets in the case mouth .
    Even if I had just the width of a gas check to hold them I would be happy.

This may end up with a 25" barrel sudo rookish thing or handy dandy 17" carbine .
    Time will tell.

Thoughts?

I have a break action single shot rifle chambered in a rimmed 300 blk out shortened by .060. I did the shortening to make a standard blk out unable to chamber and close the action because it is built on a aluminum receiver with a shotgun sized firing pin and low pressure loads are required to keep primer flow into the firing pin hole in the standing breech from locking up the action after firing.
    I took the .060 off the bottom of the sizing die and that small amount doesn’t change the cartridge base diameter at all. The one problem is I used a barrel with 1- 10 twist that will not stabilize any bullets longer than most 150 gr. as they are only shot at approximately 900 FPS but 300 blk out reamers all have long leades and freebore to allow very long bullets.

A cadet action would allow you to use most cartridge up to the size of a 30-30 but the firing pin would need to be bushed for higher pressures.
    1-8 twist may not be cast boolit friendly, I don’t know as I never tried it ? With the rimmed blk out the only reason I see that you would shorten it would be to use 357 mag brass as 360 DW brass can be used to form the full length cartridge but is much harder to find, maybe non existent in Australia ?
    The 32-20 would work if you lengthened the throat for your 180 gr. Pope bollit and if your going to use mostly bullseye for the propellant then a larger case wouldn’t do much for you as you would most likely be only using a very small amount of it.
    I would go with whatever is the easiest to get brass for especially if this is to be mostly for targets and plinking.

Jedman

My dream gun for deer hunting was a Cadet-sized Martini, bored out or re-barreled & chambered for the .256 Winchester Magnum, but could never find a suitable action (or the $$ )
    Last edited by pietro; 10-24-2021 at 04:11 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Pietro, what is a .356 Winchester Magnum? I always wanted a Cadet in .32 WCF but never found it.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Pietro, what is a .356 Winchester Magnum? I always wanted a Cadet in .32 WCF but never found it.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    My guess is it's a typo for the 256 Win Mag. https://gunsmagazine.com/our-experts...hester-magnum/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Yeah, a typo - fat fingers & not enough coffee today...…. Thanks for picking up on it.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

How about a "classic" chambered for 25/35 Winchester?

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00687B7D-9CD5-4A76-B2E3-B0C809799714.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	290799
    Had one in 357 mag and it was a good shooter, I didn’t like the look though wanting a military Cadet. Eventually found one almost as issued for a decent price except it having had a .32-20 chamber reamer run into the chamber. Doh. But with a little creative reloading I’m shooting and enjoying the old gal. A great s/s rifle.

Boolit Master
    I enjoy my 0.310 cadet as is and won’t change it from original.
    I put a 7a ph peep on it but left the rear sight base alone so it can be changed back.

I have 30 cal moulds so it is prudent for me to utilise them.
    The 32-20 could be shortened when necks fail for use as 0.310 cases.
    No extractor work needed.
    Custom reamer or d bit would have to be made/sourced.

The shortened rimmed 300 blk out could be cut and used with normal dies and reamer making things simpler.
    Dan Wesson brass is rare and if I bought 357max cases I would rather make it into a 30 Wesson as the brass is not cheap.
    38 special brass is actually dearer than 357mag at the moment and be sourced easy enough.
    If I kept the pressure low at 34k psi I thing the gun and brass would appreciate it more.
    It would stop someone running factory blkout brass in it.
    I could load it to 30 carbine levels or 150’s at 15-1600fps.

The 25’s be good for up to goats and probably rabbits would come out nicer with the 25 cal.
    25 Jeffries maybe one

I’m a bit worried about 300 blk in the cadet as being rimless light charges of fast powders could cause head space issue.
    I’m not sure if this would happen or not.
    I have seen a 223 in a cadet with a normal looking extractor.
    The shells just pushed in and the extractor closed and ejected like any other case.
    I don’t know the load he was using but it virtually fell out when fired.

I would forget about any cartridge case that is rimless with the martini action. Bob Snapp use to make a rimless extractor and maybe others as well but he is gone now and they are hard to find and there are plenty of rimmed cartridges that will cover the range of a gun with a 3/4” dia.
    barrel shank.

What happened to the 1 - 8 twist barrel ?

Jedman

Boolit Master
    It’s coming jedman.
    This week I hope.

No one suggested a 32s&w.
    Or short 0.310 or 32-20 case.
    Small case large expansion ratio in a long barrel 25" could be quiet.
    The 1:8 could be a bit quick for it thou.
    Ha
    I shot a 9mm bergara short break open gun at the range and thought it would ‘ could be a handi little package as well.
    Modern 0.310 cadet with a 120 grn bullet.
    Seemed pretty accurate at 50 yards offhand.

Still humming and harring.

Maybe one of each one of everything

Boolit Master
    The whole point of 300Blk,and other subsonic guns is no sonic crack noise with a silencer......now seeing as such attachments are illegal here ,all you have is very low velocity gun with a rainbow trajectory.

Boolit Master
    True John very true.
    Still rather shoot plainbase bullets thou, fiddle farting around at the range
    The 30 on a 357 mag which everyone has done some sort probably is the case for the cadet.
    Easy to make.
    Load it up for pigs and goats if need be.
    30-30 I really don’t know if it would be the case for a pencil thin long barrel in the cadet.
    My shoulder is twitching from the thought of that narrow steel butt plate.
    Could always down load it till the flinching stops and then load it back up for the few shots need for hunting.
    Ha.

Boolit Man
    Another cartridge to consider would be the 30 Badger.

Boolit Master
    Yep that could be good to but I would have to buy two sets of dies to make the 30 badger.
    Hmmm
    I was playing with a Bertram 0.310 case and a 0.309" -0.310" boolit fits in lovely without any tools needed.
    Yes my mind is definitely boggling at the moment.
    Ha
    Last edited by barrabruce; 10-27-2021 at 01:15 AM.

Boolit Master
    Well decided on a 30-357 mag case thingo.
    By the time all the stuff arrives and I can get it to the local gun plumber, it maybe after the new year some time.
    If I can get a 150 grn at @ 1500 fps be good enough for a light stalking gun.
    Small game 120’s 22 lr velocities or 1800 fps.

I have a 30-30 if I want to shoot further/bigger stuff.

The mozzies seem bigger than usual this year thou.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B8E424B6-7B5B-48D8-AD30-3A36F10891B7.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	291140

Boolit Buddy
    Shooting a 30-20 BSA martini with a 1 in 12 twist barrel, shoots the 174gr pope bullets just fine with BP, so pretty much subsonic. However, the go-to bullet is a 152gr round nose. Can be scarily accurate if you get the cleaning routine right.

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

My dream gun for deer hunting was a Cadet-sized Martini, bored out or re-barreled & chambered for the .256 Winchester Magnum, but could never find a suitable action (or the $$ )
    Here is mine. I'm just starting to work up loads. I luv this little rifle & cartridge & I'm amazed by the accuracy. I never thought of the the .256 WM as a deer cartridge but I have an uncle with a Marlin .256 & he always gets his deer. It certainly is accurate enough! (BTW: I hate that one flyer!)
    Attachment 291276
    Attachment 291277
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master

I have been all over the place in calibers collected over the years so when I got a good deal on a Cadet action with wood I made it into. 32 S&W with an octagon barrel.

Boolit Master

If the impossible happens and I ever shoot out my .32-20 Kinda-Sorta on cast bullets, it'll get re-barreled to straight up .357 Magnum and eat what my handguns do.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast