Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading "Primers"

Boolit Master

Reloading "Primers"

So for the lack of a better place to post this (and if there is, please PM me or move), I have successfully been able to breathe "new life" into my spent primers! It's like a miracle, especially since I can get very close to the performance I was getting with commercial primers, not to mention I haven't had a FTF after a few hundred "rebuilt" primers.

I know a lot of you already have enough on your plate and yes, I still have several thousand factory primers, just nice to know "how to" do this. Very interesting, fun and rewarding. I can make 1000 spp's for 1.81
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master
    Care to share your process?

Deiselhorses, that's encouraging news! Another member, "Castloader", indicated that he would be trying Marshall Thompson's recipe back in August..... but he hasn't given us any updates since then -

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-Primers/page3
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

I reload my own primers and caps for the muzzle loader and it is all for back up. I had posted on this site of how I do. I do small pistol, large pistol, large rifle , Shotgun, and caps . It took me some years to get the large rifle and caps done for what I seen from all the testing I done on both since the powder was not near where the primer and cap gose off. I use a side hammer muzzle loaders , When the powder is near the flash hole like shotgun and small pistol you have it work mainly with out much problems when it is not then .You need to make sure it gose off like it should.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

several members here reload primers. there is a very active mewe group that deals only with reloading primers. hardest thing is getting some of the chemicals but some of the firework supply places are realizing the legitimacy of needing certain chemicals for primers and are starting to supply the market.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master
    Would you have a feel for how long it took you to process 1000 primers? Looking at the information I could find, it looked like maybe 50/hr. I would need to be desperate. $100/k beats 20 hours of my time.

I am in good shape on primers, and will buy more when things get back to normal, but I have considered getting the chemicals needed as a "safety net".
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

several of the guys have almost automated the process, they are claiming several hundred an hour, given that you can not find primers, even a hundred an hour beats nothing.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Care to share your process?
    Yes, but the best way to get all info and ask questions (they WANT you to ask if you don't know something!) is by going to www.mewe.com, sign up and look for "Primer Reloading" group. Marshall Thompson and Mark Wilson are the 2 pro's (Marshall is the chemist) and there is tons of info there.

I figured a lot of fellows on here did this. Despite the 40k+ commercial primers I've hoarded it still feels good to have something to fall back on. I mainly am just using these to plink with for now. There are several other recipes besides the "EPH-20/25" I'm using that are equal to/surpass factory. One involves the synthesis of picric acid.

Other uses are innovating ways to "re-size" both large and small cups and even toying with the idea of producing "new" cups/anvils. It can be a tedious process but it is fun! My objective is to match the velocities of commercial primers. And yes, with proper machining and creativity one can make several hundred in an hour! I can make 100 in an hour but I'm just getting started.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eph-20.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	290465
    Last edited by Dieselhorses; 10-18-2021 at 11:41 PM. Reason: photo

Boolit Buddy
    Are these primers you guys are making corrosive? I have wondered about using that prime all stuff they sell on 22 reloader but I don’t know if it’s corrosive.

Boolit Master

depends on the formula you use but most stay away from the corrosive formulas.

Boolit Master
    How many times can you reload a single primer? Thinking metal fatigue here (possible rupture).
    R.D.M.

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone know if the prime all compound sold by 22 reloader is corrosive or not?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJames170 View Post
    Anyone know if the prime all compound sold by 22 reloader is corrosive or not?

Yes it is corrosive. Clean your rifle/pistol after use and all is well.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
    How many times can you reload a single primer? Thinking metal fatigue here (possible rupture).
    they are working on dies to make new cups, same idea as gas checks. the anvils are still a problem.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks DH. Signed up
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I won't be interested until it can be somewhat automated. Reloading primers by singles, by hand, is insanity. I get the cool factory, and the "just because" idea, but speaking of it as a actual valued skill is silly to me. Unless you are locked in a cell with nothing but time on your hands, it just doesn't make sense to me. In the time it takes you to reload $4 worth of primers you could pick up $15 worth of cans at the park, or make $80-$100 working a few hours of overtime.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Thanks DH. Signed up

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    I won't be interested until it can be somewhat automated. Reloading primers by singles, by hand, is insanity. I get the cool factory, and the "just because" idea, but speaking of it as a actual valued skill is silly to me. Unless you are locked in a cell with nothing but time on your hands, it just doesn't make sense to me. In the time it takes you to reload $4 worth of primers you could pick up $15 worth of cans at the park, or make $80-$100 working a few hours of overtime.
    true, but try buying needed primers to reload to defend your family when none are around. knowledge is a good thing and I like getting the learning curve out of the way before it needs to be relied upon.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Well said Rancher .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    true, but try buying needed primers to reload to defend your family when none are around. knowledge is a good thing and I like getting the learning curve out of the way before it needs to be relied upon.
    Agreed.Never too much info, especially in these crazy times, and those yet to come.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast