Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Dillon 650 and 300 Blackout problems

Boolit Mold

Dillon 650 and 300 Blackout problems

I have a dillon 650 and a bullet feeder (open source TylerR). I have Lee 300 Blackout dies (3) FL size with expander ball, Bullet length seater, and factory crimp die. My problem is the bullet won't stay on the top of the case as I load, They fall off. I expect I need some
    kind of mandrel die to open the necks a little more so the bullet will actually go in the neck. Which will also make me need a bullet seater and crimp combination die. Am I missing something else. Can anyone make a recommendation on which dies I need? Anybody here running a 650 dillon with a bullet feeder and 300BO?

Boolit Master

Use a C funnel

I don't know quite how the bullet seating dies work, I'm actually working on printing that same feeder.

But, some tricks I learned from loading 9 major, with powder very close to the rim, is replacing the steel detent ball that indexes the shell plate with a delrin one(ebay kit with thrust washer), and having the shell holder bolt just tight enough that the shell plate indexes positively and correctly every time(I usually watch the primer punch, there's not a lot of wiggle room for it to be off)

What bullet are you feeding? I'd be feeding the Lee 230. Not sure how the boat tail would affect collating.

And yes, it should be a c funnel in the powder die.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    What @Alvarez Kelly said.

Boolit Mold
    Does the C funnel expand the neck some more? It's not the powder charge. Wasn't loading any powder, just checking my set up. I'm using the funnel that came with the 300BO conversion from dillon. The neck of the case is not big enough to let the bullet to seat.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by nhyrum View Post
    I don't know quite how the bullet seating dies work, I'm actually working on printing that same feeder.

But, some tricks I learned from loading 9 major, with powder very close to the rim, is replacing the steel detent ball that indexes the shell plate with a delrin one(ebay kit with thrust washer), and having the shell holder bolt just tight enough that the shell plate indexes positively and correctly every time(I usually watch the primer punch, there's not a lot of wiggle room for it to be off)

What bullet are you feeding? I'd be feeding the Lee 230. Not sure how the boat tail would affect collating.

And yes, it should be a c funnel in the powder die.

I'm using berry's 220 grain bullets. I'm think I need another set of dies that will bell the case neck a little more. The bullet is just sitting on top of the case not in it at all. The inside of the neck measures..308 the exact same as the bullet.

Boolit Master
    At one time Dillon was suggesting their 7.62x39ak funnel, but I have no idea which funnel they ship with the 30lblk caliber conversion.

Boolit Man
    I load 300BLK on my 650 and use the 30 carbine funnel, which will slightly bell case so bullet will not tip over. I also use NOE expander to expand the case slightly so it doesn't squeeze the lead bullet down.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by hlvabeach View Post
    I load 300BLK on my 650 and use the 30 carbine funnel, which will slightly bell case so bullet will not tip over. I also use NOE expander to expand the case slightly so it doesn't squeeze the lead bullet down.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    Thank you, I've been doing some research and my problem is the neck is not expanded enough, My berrys bullet are flat bottom. I have looked for the lyman M die but no one has them in stock. I will look for this NOE expander and see if that helps. Do you use seater and crimp combo die? or just not crimp?

Quote Originally Posted by Kg4mon View Post
    I'm using berry's 220 grain bullets. I'm think I need another set of dies that will bell the case neck a little more. The bullet is just sitting on top of the case not in it at all. The inside of the neck measures..308 the exact same as the bullet.
    You don't need another set of dies, you just need to use an expanding funnel in the powder drop. I don't know what funnel the 300 Bo kit comes with either since I use a 223 kit and had to buy a few different funnels, because I fought with a similar thing. Get the 30 carbine "C" funnel if that's not what you have. It's a flaring funnel, some of the 30 cal kits don't have an expanding funnel.

Boolit Mold
    Yes, I just figured this out researching on the internet, I believe my kit came with a AK funnel. I want to apologize to Alvarez Kelly and JimB, I'm sorry I didn't understand. I will order a C funnel right now. Thanks to all the replied. Thanks also to nhyrum..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kg4mon View Post
    Yes, I just figured this out researching on the internet, I believe my kit came with a AK funnel. I want to apologize to Alvarez Kelly and JimB, I'm sorry I didn't understand. I will order a C funnel right now. Thanks to all the replied. Thanks also to nhyrum..
    No apology needed.

Boolit Master

You could also have Lathesmith here make you a custom funnel.
    NRA Benefactor.