Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Propane / Butane Gas stove

Boolit Mold

Propane / Butane Gas stove

As I posted earlier I am in the process of building a small time lead casting set up. As recommend by some I purchased a Lyman ten pound cast iron pot and a Lyman casting dipper. Now I am looking for a heat source. I want something that does not need electricity to function. I have been looking at the Gas One propane or butane GS-3400 stove. (see image below). It is rated at 8,000 BTU. Is 8,000 BTU enough to melt lead in a timely and usable manner? I read that it is but I wanted to ask the experts. What is your opinion on using this stove (see link below) for a small time casting set up? I will mainly be casting buckshot and slugs and possibly handgun boolits at some point. Any other suggestions are welcome.
    To add: I found a calculator / https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/l...lids-d_96.html / that stated it takes 23 BTU to melt one pound of lead. If that is the case then using ten lbs as a base it would take 230 BTU to melt ten pounds of lead?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gas one stove.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	290644
    Last edited by pastime; 10-21-2021 at 10:06 PM.

Boolit Master

If you're considering propane as a fuel, you're going to want to use 20# tanks for economy's sake. I cast a lot of boolits on a Coleman single burner camp stove when I started out, you can run those on pump gas. The stove you indicate will work but you need to consider that you only have a ten pound pot, so you will need to refill often. That drops your melt temp and time to reach casting temp may be a factor. 8000 BTU might be sufficient, I'm not sure.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Buddy
    The stove shown uses butane canisters, I've never seen propane in those type canisters ( shaped like a spray paint can).

Edit; Never mind, I clicked on the link and saw the conversion hose.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the responses. I was not planning on using the butane. I had in mind to get an adapter that ties in with the original propane gas line that comes with the stove. It allows a connection to a 20 lb propane tank. Runs around sixteen dollars. My plan is to use this setup as a backup type of thing. It has gotten kind of tight with the price and availability of shot shells for the last year. I am not looking to make a ton of castings. I just want to have it available if needed. I am retired and have all day to pick and choose what I want to do. If I really want to start going at it I suppose I could expand the operation but I really do not see that happening

Propane / Butane Gas stove

You really need about 15,000 btu per 10 lbs to melt it in a reasonable time if outside with variable conditions and topping of pot as you go.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a couple of these at camp -- "Super-great-plus!!!" when used as cookstoves -- e.g., for making/heating soup with one; the coffee pot with the 2nd. However, I would personally NOT recommend their use for casting for two reasons: 1st, they use specialized butane cans to work; these are NOT available anywhere local in my area, and vis mail-order are quite costly. 2nd, while they are AWESOME as cooking appliances, one of their features is their being very light weight -- hence, I'm not too comfortable putting a cast iron pan on to fry bacon -- a pot with lead? Imho, toooo heavy for SAFE use! A 3rd factor, too, which may not be germane to your usage is last hunting season on a near 0*C day, with the regulator on HIGHEST, the flame was really quite teeny. This makes kind of a challenge, as one would wish to ONLY melt lead/alloy outdoors... but if it's really cold out... You get the idea, I hope.
    Just my experience with these -- again GREAT!!! -- for cooking (only!) stoves!
    geo

Boolit Grand Master

Yup, way to light. If you are gonna use propane go to Northern and get a gas burner - they come relatively cheap and in many configurations, including one at waist hight and with two burners. You are not getting this for backpacking or for car camping, you are getting this for a relatively stable installation - get something that will last.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Don’t rule out a wood fire if you have wood available. With the price of energy going up, I may try a wood fire for melting range scrap before I get my propane bottle filled again.

Boolit Bub
    I use a Coleman two-burner white gasoline stove to deal with smelting range lead. A small cast iron plumber's pot goes on top. Cheap, sturdy, and pretty quick once everything's up to speed.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the suggestion. They all make good sense. I was looking at the wood stoves last night an they are a definite option as I have ten acres of woods in my backyard. FYI to georgerkahn. Your stove may or may not have this but the stove I pictured above comes with an adapter that allows it to be connected to a one pound propane bottle. If not you can purchase one. Thanks for the post though. I am in no hurry. For me researching this stuff is almost as enjoyable as the doing. Plus I learn a lot in the process. Thanks again. I am still open for suggestions?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by pastime View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. They all make good sense. I was looking at the wood stoves last night an they are a definite option as I have ten acres of woods in my backyard. FYI to georgerkahn. Your stove may or may not have this but the stove I pictured above comes with an adapter that allows it to be connected to a one pound propane bottle. If not you can purchase one. Thanks for the post though. I am in no hurry. For me researching this stuff is almost as enjoyable as the doing. Plus I learn a lot in the process. Thanks again. I am still open for suggestions?

Thanks for adapter info... I may look into it. On the other hand, I had to buy a six-pack of Butane cans, and at the time thought perhaps purchasing two units? However, much to my pleasant surprise, using one stove primarily to heat coffee pot and/or soup; the other for frying bacon/eggs, hot dogs, burgers, and other "fast food at camp" I am, quite frankly, more than impressed as to how long one butane cylinder seems to last!
    Re your needs/want -- it surely appears you have a good head on your shoulders -- BEST!!!
    geo

Boolit Mold
    Take this for what it is worth. From what I read researching, the propane lasts longer and produces more heat. Keep in mind this is what I read on the net. Right now I am looking at wood stoves.

Boolit Mold
    Do you have natural gas line to your house? If so, it burns hotter then propane. You might be able to find an old 2 burner stove and use that for melting range scrap.

I had my daughter make me a rocket stove. It works great and doesn't cost me a thing to use it other than the scraps I have left over in my garage from wood working. I don't have a picture of it but it is very similar to this one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rocket stove.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	290762

^^^^^

Now that is cool !! We need some pics of this bad boy in action !!
    The insulated state in which nature has placed the American continent should so far avail it that no spark of war kindled in the other quarters of the globe should be wafted across the wide oceans which separate us from them." -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Mold
    Hitmiss>
    I do not have natural gas at my place.

45-70 fan>
    How big is the stove your daughter made for you? Most of the ones like that I have run across are pretty small. Does it get hot enough for production or do you just use it for melting ingots?

Any body use charcoal as a fuel for melting lead? An old stand up grill might work if it gets hot enough? I have a bunch of simple to make ideas for a heat source. The simplest would be a fire pit with a good grate over it. I could heat up the mold and keep it warm while a I am melting the lead.