Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mauser Custom Parts

Boolit Master

Mauser Custom Parts

I built a couple of Mausers about 10 years ago and Brownells had a lot of parts and so did Midway.
    I have a few that I have gathered that I am working on and it looks like there is fewer parts available.
    I am sure the supply of surplus Mausers has diminished so I guess the number of people building them has been reduced so demand is less also
    The investment required to build one is equal to an off the shelf new in the box ready to go gun.
    I have $400 in parts for my latest Yugo Mauser and still need to get a scope!
    I am not building a varmint configuration just a nice sporter.
    Anybody else building Mausers?

Boolit Grand Master

With a surplus Yougo going for $499 Plus shipping NO WAY. When they were 20 bucks a piece you bet. I too have a drawer full of leftover parts.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    With a surplus Yougo going for $499 Plus shipping NO WAY. When they were 20 bucks a piece you bet. I too have a drawer full of leftover parts.
    I agree.

When you could end up with at least a semi-custom rifle for about 1½X the cost of a new Savage 110, it almost made sense. Now it doesn't.

Robert

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    6 years ago a guy offered me a Santa Barbara 98 action for $25 . Trigger , sear , springs and pins was another 10 . It had a complete bolt w/o a safety all of the side safety triggers were $150+ at that moment ........so my smith swapped me a GI set up he also had a 358 barrel he couldn't sell due to personal standards of finish but offered to cut , thread , and chamber in 358 Win if I wanted hooked to the action . Now who is going to skip a deal like that ? He generously threw in 3 different action screw pairs and blued the barreled action and polished the bolt .
    It cost $85 for a hinged floor plate with an inside the bow release . It was Parked but beggers and choosers . Right ? I dug around in some of Dad's ...... Not yet my inheritance stuff , it would be now and he approved then so ....... Anyway what I found was a finished Fajin light Varminter stock that due to its age , best guess it's between 48&50 years old , the urethane was all but all lifted off the still in it's shipping box stock . $10 in stripper , I didn't even mess up the checkering , and 6 coats of Tung oil .....another $10 but there's lots left .

I'm in the rifle including a one piece Picatinny mount and an as new steel tube K4 Weaver ElPaso about $205 . The darn thing launches a 35-250 at 2100 fps into .900 group outside to outside 5 after 5 after 5 under 2 conditions , 1 that I don't screw it up and 2 that it doesn't throw a check . When it throws a check it goes out to 1.5 ctc .

Ahh the glory days .

At the other end of the scale there a 93/95 valued at about $900 from a barreled action that was found in a bucket of rebar and pipe about 15 minutes from the crusher . That is a whole other tome of 2 rifles .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    What kind of parts do you need, and how many.
    I make lots of parts every month

Just wrapped up a 9.3 x 64 barreled action on a customers Arg 1909, he supplied a Lothar barrel and I did all the action rework and detachable scope rings.

Brownells used to buy a lot of my parts years ago, but we have slowly parted ways over the years.

J Wisner

Cast Boolits Owner

I have a 8x57 barreled ‘98 action sitting in the back of the safe with dreams of it becoming a 8mm x 06 or a 35 Whelen or possibly a shorted 458 something. Maybe one day when I will get around to it.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Banned

Recently sold an 09’ Argentine rebarreled to 458 Win. mag with assorted extras. And just last week traded a Beautiful sporterized Siamese Mauser in 348 Winchester for a stainless steel Colt Gold Cup!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    Recently sold an 09’ Argentine rebarreled to 458 Win. mag with assorted extras. And just last week traded a Beautiful sporterized Siamese Mauser in 348 Winchester for a stainless steel Colt Gold Cup!
    Good news!
    I hope to be able to sell or trade a couple of mine.

Boolit Master
    In the past two years , I have seen that there is still interest in Surplus , Surplus Sporters , and Custom Surplus rifles.
    But just about everyone insists that I GIVE them 100 rounds of ammo to seal the deal no matter what the caliber is.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by James Wisner View Post
    What kind of parts do you need, and how many.
    I make lots of parts every month

Just wrapped up a 9.3 x 64 barreled action on a customers Arg 1909, he supplied a Lothar barrel and I did all the action rework and detachable scope rings.

Brownells used to buy a lot of my parts years ago, but we have slowly parted ways over the years.

J Wisner
    What can you tell me about a Mauser rifle marked "Fabrica en Oviedeo 1929?" So far as I've been able to find out it's based on the 1893 Spanish Mauser, and mine has been partially sporterized by Bubba. The stepped barrel that seems to be original has been threaded and a compensator/flash-hider sort of thing that's too short to actually do anything, so far as I can tell, has been threaded on. Guy who threaded the barrel knew how to get the flats on the c/f-h thingie perpendicular to the top of the rifle action. The stock is mil-spec, and badly cracked, so will need to be replaced. Can I buy an 1893 Mauser stock for it, or do I need to make one from scratch? Considering that I qualify as a wood butcher at best, buying or trading for a stock seems to be my best bet. Action seems to be complete, and though I haven't yet done a chamber cast, it will chamber 7mm Mauser brass, but not 30-06 brass. Rubs just a bit at the end of the neck on the 06 brass, but I wasn't going to force it, just checking. I've bought the Kuhnhausen Mauser Bolt Actions shop manual, but since this is a down the road project, haven't gotten to reading it yet. Just piling up stuff to keep me busy. A 9/32 drill shank won't quite go in the muzzle, where a K drill shank will, but you have to wiggle it a bit. Book value for that K drill is .2810, and the 9/32 drill is .28125, both of which are pretty close to 7mm. I've not bought the tools to let me measure small diameter holes, so all I have for "pin gauges" is the import drill sets. I am not a machinist or gunsmith, either, but I have been taking a class in precision manual machining, and I've done simple home gunsmithing a bit, mostly over 30 years ago or more, and am planning on doing some more, perhaps a bit more ambitious than before.

Bill

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've always built my own rifles on Mauser actions. As many say, you have as much wrapped up in a build as you would pay for an off the shelf rifle. However, what you end up with depends on your skill and knowledge in building a rifle. A Bubba will have a $700 rifle when done, while someone who knows what they are doing will end up with a $3000+ rifle.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    Good news!
    I hope to be able to sell or trade a couple of mine.
    What do you have? PM me.

Boolit Master
    I can't even remember how many sporterized Mauser's I've built. This includes both small and large ring. My favorite 98 action is the VZ-24, and my favorite small ring to build on is the 95 Chilean. I have also built a number of rifles on the M38 Turkish, and still have four more Turk actions waiting their turn. About 6 years ago I started to see things start to dry up. Because of this I wrote down what I would need for each build; barrels, aftermarket triggers, low scope safeties, etc. and ordered all of the things that I would need for each rifle. I already have several walnut stock blanks, so stocks are not a problem. About the only thing that I didn't bother stocking up on was scopes. I just buy a scope for each rifle when I get done building it.
    As other's have said, it is much more expensive to build a rifle from a milsurp action than it is to just go out and buy a factory rifle. What's the fun in buying something someone else built? As a hobby, building rifles is both challenging and enjoyable. There are so many skills to master and always new things to learn. The finished rifle is unique and it's very satisfying shooting and hunting with something you made yourself.

I have an 09 Argentine that was barreled with a Shaw 25 06 barrel. Gun is in the white and stock needs finally shaping and finish. Started the project in about 1990 and it still sits in the corner of a rack. These project may make sense for many reasons, but $$ is definitely not one of them.

Boolit Master
    lets see, 2.5 years ago, a 98 action, with a Bold trigger/w saftey in the package, complete, for $85, and that included a cut down military stock that is solid walnut, and Leupold one piece scope base. I bought a new in the waxpaper Fn Stepped 24" 7x57 barrel still full of dried grease. I cleaned the barrel, out, installed and head spaced it on the action, did a little work on the trigger guard, and Just set it by. I plan on finishing it up this winter, will hot blue it all, bend the bolt handle and polish, drill and tap. Life just got too busy, and I have not been into it, due partly to having built about 150 rifles in my 37 years as a gunsmith. But go figure, i am working hard to finish a Rem. Roller in 7x57 with custom curly maple as we speak.

Banned
    Yep, I have one also. A '96 Mauser fitted with a 19" barrel in 257 Bob. I took it in on trade for a debt 22 years ago. This past winter I got the action into the stock, bolt fitted to close, headspace checked. It has a military trigger, that should be replaced, someday. Maybe this winter I will get final stock shaping completed and the action bedded. I have had it drilled and tapped for scope blocks.

Supposed to snow a lot this winter so just maybe.

Boolit Master
    @Pressman.
    That military trigger can be modified to a Adjustable Roller Ball trigger with out much effort.
    Those triggers work very well and keep your cost down

Boolit Master
    LAGS did a tutorial on converting a standard Mauser military trigger to a single stage ball trigger in an older post. I followed his directions and put ball triggers on two 1893's and one 1895. What a huge improvement! It's not too difficult to do the modifications. One of the 93's (a 7.62x39) was shooting a 4" group before the trigger and 1.5" groups after. I did find that installing the over-travel screw through the sear spring holder wasn't really necessary: the trigger works great even without it. Well worth trying the ball trigger.

Boolit Master
    Thank you 405 grain.
    That was back in the days when my computer would let me post pictures.
    I am glad at least one person tried what I posted and was happy with the results.

Banned
    Good news, I am going to look into it. I have an Arisaka that could use a better trigger also. It's nearly a twin to a 98.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast