RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Red dot sight

Red dot sight

These scopes, particularly the Aimpoints, are they suitable for night hunts?
    "When the homeland is in danger, everything is allowed, except not to defend it."

Gral. Don José de San Martin.

Boolit Master
    They’re not scopes really. They’re a projected beam of light on a lens you’re looking through. I use them on all my handguns and I personally like them for hunting (in the daytime including dusk and dawn). At night (true night) they would obliterate what you’re trying to look at. The darker it gets the more you need to turn them down. At true darkness they’re just too bright for practical use.

My Trijicon Accupoint Safari 1.75-4X24 variable scope has an illuminated (no batteries) reticle tip that can be instantly adjusted for brightness, or turned off all together.

It has a tritium tip that stays "on", whether or not the reticle is illuminated.

It works great in full dark, with either the reticle lit or off the tritium tip, when I call in varmints.

Last edited by pietro; 10-21-2021 at 08:38 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Super Moderator

I have an older military issue Trijicon Reflex. It's been a great sight day or night, and the tritium still works great after many, many years with no batteries required. The Burris Fastfire 3 will also automatically adjust brightness as well on the initial setting, and wont obscure your target in the least. YMMV... but I'm a fan of both sights. Neither are IR, but still flat work.

Boolit Master

I love my red dot sights for night shooting hogs or vermin. Lowest setting is dim enough not to effect night vision and since you can use them with both eyes open without effecting poi, as long as you can see the target, the dot will be there.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Thanks friends...
    "When the homeland is in danger, everything is allowed, except not to defend it."

Gral. Don José de San Martin.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jcren View Post
    I love my red dot sights for night shooting hogs or vermin. Lowest setting is dim enough not to effect night vision and since you can use them with both eyes open without effecting poi, as long as you can see the target, the dot will be there.
    I agree. They may not pick up light but with both eyes open there much better in the dark then a scope with a black reticle. Low light might favor the scope but no light id take a red dot hands down. Like was mentioned theres good compromises. Ive got a 1x4 trijicon accupoint scope that is tritium and can almost be used like a red dot when its real dark on one power. Ive used my acog and my vortex 3x prism like that too. In the dark an acog or prism is just as fast as a reddot but the redot is faster in the daytime. one thing ive noticed though is with the diamond shaped retical in the accupoint and acog there big enough to not tend to be so precise at night. Its hard to concentrate on the tip of the diamond and i tend to use the whole reticle like a redot.

With a Red Dot sight,,, If you can see the target you can easily put the dot on it and pull the trigger. I have done simulated 'Night Missions" in my yards hunting coons and other vermin. The red dot sights work well.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com