WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Score or not?

Banner Sponsor

Score or not?

Yesterday I stopped by a small recycling shop and asked about lead. I was directed to an old Grey haird man in bibs shuffling about the shop. At first he showed me some cable sheathing and old sewer pipes, then asked what I was going to use it for. I told him I was going to cast some bullets. He then says, oh you might like this better and takes me to another spot that had 2 buckets of dirty cast bullets. He said he'd take $1/# . We piled it all on the scale along with a big ingot of something that was really heavy. It was 107# so I gave him $100 and loaded into the truck.
    Now I'm reading about .40-.65 cents a # for scrap lead... Did I get a good deal, or did I pay way too much?
    I didn't get the cable sheathing, but I'm thinking about going back to get it. What would be a good price to offer him?

Boolit Master

You are talking wholesale versus retail. I believe you got a good retail price there especially since some of it is already boolits, so someone somewhere down the line thought it was good casting alloy and it probably still is. If you were selling the lead to the gentleman you were dealing with he would pay you the wholesale price I think . He has to keep the lights on somehow.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Grand Master

If you bought a trailer load, you might get the spot price. You did just fine for a small buy. And if those were commercial cast, you did great.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

well done I go back and get what ever else he's got

At this point in history, I'd say it was a fair price for what you got.
    Especially since they are already cast as boolits and are probably a good, clean alloy for recasting them.

If they are hard cast with some Tin & other 'goodies'--- you did good.
    I remember buying a roll of 95/5 solder to add into my alloy for $6-7 a pound.
    That roll of solder is now over $30.

It probably isn't some super, brother in law price, with the preacher's discount figured into it;
    but you're not buying soft/pure Lead at that price with all sorts of trash & dirt in it either.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    I think you did good and your lucky to find a place that will even consider selling to you. Might consider a few more purchases at his price before you begin to barter. Maybe he charged more for the bullets then he will scrap lead. Don't forget to ask about tin or even brass. And turn some business his way (recycle your cans through them), maybe in the future he will set stuff aside for you.

Score, don't look back. Craigslist has individuals around hear selling lead at 2-3 bucks per pound.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master

if you have a scrap dealer that will sell to you for a buck a pound, buy all you can, soon you wont be able to get it at any price.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

You did good!

Boolit Master

I would do it and be happy. Take the cable sheathing too.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Ingots on ebay $3.00 to $4.00 a pound. You didn't do bad.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    That’s the minimum price I’ve heard of lately. An added plus is that they are probably a reasonable alloy.

Boolit Master
    Buy boolit alloy for a buck a pound? Very good deal. As said above, it's still a good deal if it's just usable scrap lead.

Banner Sponsor

Thanks for the input, I'll hit him up on my next trip through and get all the cable sheathing he has.
    He also had a coffee can about half full of 45-230 FMJ that looked to have been mined from a range, ie once fired.

Boolit Grand Master

You did ok. Those small places are the kind you need to make friends with.

Boolit Master
    I was just looking at Rotometals today and pure lead surplus blocks are going for just over 2.00 a pound. If you buy a skid it is about 1.89 if I remember correctly. so you did pretty good and I would not hesitate to go back for all he has or you can afford. (or the wife will allow you to have).
    Last edited by Rickf1985; 10-31-2021 at 09:32 PM.

Boolit Master

I've been doing this a long time. Ready to use lead for a buck a pound. You did did just fine. Let's figure around 45 boolits a lbs × 107 lbs That's equivalent to over 4800 boolits. That's a good baseline for your future purchases in this volatile market. - jeepyj
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Only mistake you made was leaving the cable sheathing. That's the first thing I would have grabbed.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I would buy all you can at $1/#. Today with the greeny owl huggers and tree kissers banning Pb in many states, it will get even harder to find in our casting market. Sure you can buy it by the 10 ton truck load from wholesale dealers, but us small fish need to get it where we can find it in that price range.

Anything around $1 a pound is decent. Little less is a good deal. Little more for something better is still good deal.

Large quantities of same scrap are your friend. Much better to have 100 lbs. of sheathing than assorted 10 and 15 pound batches of assorted scrap that is "pretty soft". But any of that beats paying foundry prices.

Man if lead ingots are going on eBay at $4 a pound I think I might be able to retire early if I give up casting.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat