Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dillion RL450 Press

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty1776 View Post

>>SNIP<<

Interchangeable toolheads! Woo-hoo!

Then I decided to add a second 550 so I could reload two calibers, as we shoot .38 SPL and .32 H&R Mag for SASS.

Well, guess what?

If I precisely set the dies in a toolhead in one 550, the dies don't maintain the same precise settings in the other 550 press.

I now note which toolhead is set up with which press. Otherwise, I'm back to adjusting dies as if I had my original 450.

>>SNIP<<
    You're 100% on point regarding the "slop" in Dillon tool heads on the 550, but, If you used other die rings (not Dillon) with setscrews the 450 never needed adjustments.

IMO, the 450 was and is a better press.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
    ALVAREZ KELLY,
    Here are a couple pics. Hope you can determine what I might need.Attachment 290673Attachment 290673
    Greetings,
    I have 3 450's that I've rebuilt. You have two good upgrades already on your press.
    One is the auto prime Primer Slide Assembly (14281 or 14282) and the other is the auto eject Shellplate Platform (13781).
    Do you have these parts? Operating Rod (13869) and Operating Rod Bracket (13887).
    I prefer a Redding powder measure with Hornady auto linkage as the stamped sheetmetal Return Bracket (13885) may cause shellplate platform to die perpendicularity issues.
    Post a picture of the upper and we can help.
    Wes

Boolit Buddy
    oley55
    It is a solid base where the dies go. There is no knob for the primer slider nor is there a hole for one.

wsl,
    the manual I have doesn't list part numbers and doesn't list the parts you mention (Operating Rod or Bracket. Is there another manual that lists part numbers?

Brasso

Boolit Master

sounds like you have the auto-prime minus the linkage wsl just mentioned. As he said we need picks to see what you are missing. Others would be better suited to identify most of the auto stuff.

On the subject of auto stuff, the 550 auto powder dispenser would be my recommendation over trying to go with the original RL450 manual type. M-style powder through case expanders are not commercially available anywhere I could find for the manual dispenser, but after market m-style expanders are available out there for the 550. https://www.uniquetek.com/product/T1...171467806=true There may be others, that was just a quick google.

If you did a complete disassembly during your restoration and removed the shell plate platform you really do need to use a shell platform alignment tool. I guess you can eyeball fiddle and get it close enough but perfect alignment of the platform follows on to most everything else. I have two and would be willing to gift one to you.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    I'll try again on the pics.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5376.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	290782

Boolit Buddy
    oley55,
    I have part #13887 but not #13869. I sure would appreciate that alignment tool. PM sent.

Boolit Master

No help here for #18369. PM responded to reference the alignment tool.

I was just reading the instructions to refresh my memory and it reminded me that a "powder die" is needed. The powder die is the the universal die sized housing that the powder funnel/expander drops into and your powder dispenser clamps on to. The manual powder dispenser die is different from the automatic ones (550/650 are the same I believe). I only have two, one for each of my 450's and I am not ready to permanently move away from the Dillon manual powder measures. You need to decide which way you are going to go (automated or manual).

If you want to go with the manual, I'd think you would get some responses to a WTB (want to buy) in the Swap and Sell section. There has got to be a number of folks who have upgraded to the auto and would have old manual type just lying around. If you are going to go with the auto, I just remembered I do have a 550 powder die that came with something I bought, but I currently have no use. I'll try to remember to throw it in the package with the Alignment Tool.

edit: whew, thought I'd stepped in it there for more than a few minutes, but I finally located the 550/650 powder die. It was not in one of my usual suspect locations....but I got my grubbies on it now. fyi that 18369 part is $11.00 from Dillon.
    Last edited by oley55; 10-24-2021 at 08:41 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    oley55,
    I'm working on some stuff with Alvarez Kelly for the primer setup. Not sure what he has, but after I find out I'll figure it out on the auto or manual powder setup. Thank you for all your help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12