Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: Anyone here used the 311291?

Anyone here used the 311291?

Really looking for one of these molds for my 30-30 and was wondering if anyone here has used them and had good success? I know it isn’t a hunting round but for hunting steel I think it could be fun!

Boolit Grand Master
    And you'd be right on in your thinking. Try 17.5 grains of 2400, 28 grains of 3031, or 30-32 grains of WW-748. I have shot thousands of these loads, with excellent accuracy and the 30-31 and 748 loads are potent enough that I'd take them after deer.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

In the old NRA cast bullet book Col. Harrison said it was the best .30 boolit for general use. I have shot a lot if them mostly in .30-06. Be aware that some molds are numbered U311291 which indicates an undersized nose as some chambers won't take the full sized nose. My personal mold is lightly engraved on clambering in most .30 cal guns. With the usual suspects of cb powders at moderate velocity it is a good shooter. The boolit was designed by John Barlow for the .30-30 and mimics the shape of the original. 30-30 bullet.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

The 311291 is an excellent cast bullet in the 30-30, especial when "steel hunting". I've used it in most every .30 cal rifle and a lot in my 30-30s. A few years back there was a group buy for a 31 cal clone of the 311291. I got one (Lee 6 cavity mould) and it (I call it the C312-291) casts excellent bullets and is used in all my 31 cal rifles.

Hard to go wrong with a Lyman 311291 in the 30-30.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    I agree with the above endorsements. My own 291 throws a .301/.302 nose, so in my lever guns I crimp on the front driving band instead of the crimp groove. In the groove on my 30-30 bolt guns. Great boolit.
    Tony

Boolit Mold
    Shooters World Buffalo Rifle powder.

This bullet was one of the original gas check bullets designed for the 30-30. It has worked well in that role for well over 100 years. Don't sell that blunt round nose short for use on game. These molds have varied widely in dimensions over the years, so if you buy a used one, when you get is what you get. I have five double cavity 311291 molds and they all cast different sizes. I also have a four cavity mold of that number as well. Great bullet!!!
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    My 311291 works well also, a good all around boolit. I use around 17 gr. of 4198 or 5744 and adjust to suit. I don't hunt anymore or do steel but have a few paper trophy's hanging around.

Boolit Master

311291 was the first rifle mould i bought back in the early 60s.
    It has produces excellent results in everything from my 14in. Contender 30-30 to my Weatherby MK5 in 300 Whby Mag.
    Last edited by dale2242; 10-23-2021 at 07:08 AM.

Boolit Master

I'm another believer in the 311291. I've used it in all of my .30s including the 300Blackout. Accurate in all of them and it even feeds well in my Garand.