Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Looking for info on 'domed' crimps

Boolit Master

Question FOUND THE MACHINE THAT 'DOMES' SHOTGUN SHELLS Looking for info on 'domed' crimps

UP-DATE:
    https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php...hotgun-crimps/

ran across pictures of these and wondered what kind of machine is used to make them

walt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A1646956-8897-44A8-A3E0-8CF7A162325E.png  
    Last edited by Walter Laich; 10-23-2021 at 06:48 AM.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Grand Master

You are going to have to be more specific. Are you talking about the taper at the end of the shell? Are you talking about crimping brass shells? The only domed crimps I've produced have been from too much in a hull, and it's not a good thing.

That is not what I would call a good crimp. And if it was not for the fact that it appears the center is melted together. They would not stay together.

As to how to make them, I'll take a WAG and say a very expensive machine.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Probably, some kind of heated six point crimping die. Apply crimp, heated plastic flows into cavity at top,, cools to solidify, done!

After reading my reply, it’s obvious I stated the obvious! ( sorry, guys) So, after a bunch of shot shells I’ve reloaded, this type of crimp is going to be hard to replicate! Add the fact that this crimp is a “ one and done type of crimp” and you have a one use shotshell. Not going to reload this one, I’m afraid.

Walker, is that a factory load or a display or ?????
    Last edited by Budzilla 19; 10-21-2021 at 08:51 AM.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Folks were using them to speed up reloads, especially with SxS shotguns, in SASS competition in Oklahoma.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/ME...tinfo/130634P/

And or. https://www.ballisticproducts.com/ME...info/1308462S/
    Last edited by 243winxb; 10-21-2021 at 09:52 AM.

Boolit Master

what I vaguely remember is a machine from somewhere in Europe that heated the top of the shell then pressed it into the dome cavity. you then would take a soldering iron a finish off the very top.

I saw one advertised somewhere and am writing an article about it for our SASS club. Wanted to give as much info as I can but thinking may have to leave out anything about the machine that does this
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747

First time I've ever seen that. The links seem to be aimed at paper hulls. It would make faster, smoother insertion of a shell into a break open action, guided in by the point. It would also present the problem of creating proper, safe loads, as some of the hull's capacity is lost in the curved portion and the powder, wad, and shot column would need to be correspondingly shorter. I also have to wonder if the fired hulls could be reloaded again, some plastic perhaps being lost in the center plug of the first loading. Very interesting, but probably not something I would pursue.

DG

Actually, this kind of crimp will increase the capacity of the shell, compared to a normal star-crimp. I would not be surprised if the idea find its way into hunting loads over here, at least when steel shot is involved.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master

I suspect they are some kind of military specialty load.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    That brings up a question. Are there any dies that can put a crimp on a cartridge like a .44mag with snake shot in it. Something like .22 bird shot shells.

I would think those are designed specifically for faster loading in break action shotguns, or maybe there is a domed slug under the crimp. In any event it almost has to be done with heat.

I think they look pretty well done. definitely something we've never seen.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    That brings up a question. Are there any dies that can put a crimp on a cartridge like a .44mag with snake shot in it. Something like .22 bird shot shells.
    I've seen .45 ACP's done that way and it had to be a die like a crimp starter die. Bet the people in the "Loading Shotshells for Pistols" sections would know?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Some SASS shooters back in the day would reload 12 ga then run a 16ga crimp to put the tapper on the front end. It would put a small dome from the tapper. QuikLoader By Roger Siminoff (SASS alias "Roger Rapid") sold by Uniquetec is used to put a 3 degree tapper on 12 ga and is legal in SASS now. Would like to know head stamping on those rounds.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
    Some SASS shooters back in the day would reload 12 ga then run a 16ga crimp to put the tapper on the front end. It would put a small dome from the tapper. QuikLoader By Roger Siminoff (SASS alias "Roger Rapid") sold by Uniquetec is used to put a 3 degree tapper on 12 ga and is legal in SASS now. Would like to know head stamping on those rounds.
    not sure if I understand your comments but the QuikLoader is used after the shot shell is completely reloaded. Idea is to remove the first sizing die on the MEC press and put the QuikLoader in its place. then run the completed reloads through it to get the 3° taper.

I have one on order and will be seeing if my blazing 65 sec SASS times drop into the 63 sec range
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747

Boolit Master
    My first thought was some sort of ultrasonic weld, not unlike what we use in the food and beverage industries to crimp and seal containers. But that might be a pretty expensive setup for the average reloader.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    My first thought was some sort of ultrasonic weld, not unlike what we use in the food and beverage industries to crimp and seal containers. But that might be a pretty expensive setup for the average reloader.
    I believe the machine was in neighborhood of $1K way too rich a neighborhood for me
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    Folks were using them to speed up reloads, especially with SxS shotguns, in SASS competition in Oklahoma.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/ME...tinfo/130634P/

And or. https://www.ballisticproducts.com/ME...info/1308462S/
    Those are now ruled illegal for SASS The Uniqetex taper crimp is legal as is only 3 degrees

That’s from the OMV reloader designed for shot only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk